Thread: Starting a Transportation/Limo Company in SF. Have a few questions!

Lightbulb Starting a Transportation/Limo Company in SF. Have a few questions!

Hey Guys and Gals ,

New to the site and to the business. I have all the paperwork submitted to the PUC for the TCP lis. A few questions on my mind that i need help figuring out.

1) I have 1 vehicle in my fleet and its a 2007 Toyota Camry. Is this a proper vehicle for transportation to airport? Looking to pick up business from Hotels and eventually companies, but all I can get my hands on now is a Camry.

2) I've been looking for a tracking system for the vehicle and want some feed back on a device or app that someone might be using. I have my driver using the car until I can save enough to quit my day job and purchase a NEW XTS-L for my corporate drives.

3) main source of clients will be coming from Uber. Need some input on how to approach hotels, companies and concierges?

4) Website is in the works and with only one vehicle would it be worth the money to invest in that right now?

5) Any good way to track mileage?

6) What other vehicles should I be looking at besides Town Car's and Suburban's? Trying to be different and change the way people look at our company.

I probably can go on and on but Just some input would help out a lot. Thank you guys and i'm excited to start this new venture and get the business going.

I'll help you out with my input.

1. Focus on service and price accordingly. Too late now, sounds like you already have it. Make due until you can afford to move up to a better suited vehicle. You're going to be going after the budget traveler with a Camry.

2. I'm looking at Virtual Fleet Supervisor http://virtualfleetsupervisor.com/ Good reviews here on the board.
    http://www.limousinesonline.com/show...eet+management

3. Uber is fool's gold. By the time you factor everything out, you are working for close to break even. Work on getting your own clients, it's much more profitable.

4. You need to set your business up with where you want to be, not where you are now or you will be trapped where you are now forever.

5. See #2

6. Depends on your strategy. Toyota Avalon hybrid limo. Or maybe a Tesla (much more expensive, but no gas expense). New operators need to stick with industry standard vehicles or forget about getting farm in work from any other company. I think the XTS-L would be an excellent choice.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC
    Andrew@VintageChauffeuring.com
    www.VintageChauffeuring.com

Thank you for the input. I will take everything you said and imply it to my business. I know the Camry isn't the best fit vehicle but I have to make due now. Eventually I will move up and get those luxury vehicles. I know this business is very competitive and I want to survive the first few years to learn everything I can about it. I also know Uber isn't the best kind of leads but luckily I have a driver that will be doing that for me until I can generate my own leads.

sorry i'm still kinda new to this but what does "farm in work from any other company" mean?

Thank you again for your input and help.

When you have a run you can't do you call your fellow affiliate company to do that run for you. That's " farm out "

Other companies giving you there overflow that they can't fulfill is " farm in " work

Quote Originally Posted by O5EXECL View Post
    When you have a run you can't do you call your fellow affiliate company to do that run for you. That's " farm out "

Other companies giving you there overflow that they can't fulfill is " farm in " work

Thanks. How do you partner up with these affiliates? I'm assuming I would have to cold call other companies?

That's one way. Another way is to join local trade associations and or participate in events (lunches and things of that nature) to meet people in person. Even talking with other chauffeurs when you're waiting around at the airport limo lot, waiting for your client to come in.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC
    Andrew@VintageChauffeuring.com
    www.VintageChauffeuring.com

Come to the GCLA meeting at 6pm Tuesday February 11th at the Crowne Hotel in Burlingame to meet others who can help you.
    Ozzie R

API Limousine - Ultra Limousine - California Limousine - Napa Valley Wine Tours

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Come to the GCLA meeting at 6pm Tuesday February 11th at the Crowne Hotel in Burlingame to meet others who can help you.

Thanks Ozzie! But I won't be able to make that tonight! Is there any other event/events in the upcoming weeks or months?