Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 MKT Town Car 2wd or AWD?

Default 2014 MKT Town Car 2wd or AWD?

In the market to replace a TC with a new MKT, was curious if anyone has any input on the FWD Ecoboost I4 opposed to the AWD 3.7 Duratec V6? It seems most preowned 2013's are the AWD V6 models, Have not seen any FWD's. Thinking I want a new 14 but trying to decide on drivetrain. Opinions please.

Blog Entries

We have over 30,000 miles on our 2013 MKT Town Car, 4Cyl. We average 25 MPG on the Highway.

If you are level terrain, the 4 cyl is a great choice. If you are in the mountainous area, the 6 cyl. would be the better choice.

We may purchase a 6cyl. AWD next time because of the snow.

Not much responce to my question however we decided on a new 2014 4cyl FWD due to the level terrain and the lack of snow in Florida. From a cost standpoint the V6 AWD was an additional $1100 over the 4cyl FWD. During the course of vehicle service life I estimated a substantial savings not only on fuel but also out of warranty repairs and maintenance not having to worry about the extra components. Our new MKT will arrive by truck next week and we are anxious to see what our customers think.

Funny... I picked up a client tonight from the airport and he said that on the other end of his trip, they picked him up to take him to the airport in what he said looked like a hearse! All joking aside, he said it was very comfortable but perfers a sedan.

Overall, I think people are getting used to seeing them as livery vehicles. I initially wasn't too fond of them but the more I see them, the more I like them. It seems like it'd be good for oversized luggage.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC
    Andrew@VintageChauffeuring.com
    www.VintageChauffeuring.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Limos View Post
    Funny... I picked up a client tonight from the airport and he said that on the other end of his trip, they picked him up to take him to the airport in what he said looked like a hearse! All joking aside, he said it was very comfortable but perfers a sedan.

Overall, I think people are getting used to seeing them as livery vehicles. I initially wasn't too fond of them but the more I see them, the more I like them. It seems like it'd be good for oversized luggage.
    I agree with you that I wasnt to fond of them as well however after searching for a TC it was imposiible to find one with low mileage and eventually they will be a thing of the past. After looking at our options as to whats available in the market the MKT Town Car was the obvious choice. As more and more operators make the switch we didnt want to be the company that was holding on to old technology.

There are two primary things that I sell: comfort and convenience. The vehicle that the job is done in doesn't matter much in my opinion. For example, I doubt I will have an Escalade in my fleet because the third row isn't comfortable as there isn't enough legroom for adults. The MKT was the obvious choice for me because of the amenities it features and the comfort and technology provided to the customer in the back seat.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

The MKT is a slick car! Incorporates comfort,luxury along with a smooth ride, very nice.

I was in the market for a <15k miles used 2013 MKT or a new 2014 Chrysler 300. Price range between $25-35k.

After spending a lot of time looking into both cars, I came to the conclusion that many MKT and 300 owners are experiencing problems between the 2 cars. I was more surprised to hear this about the MKT because I assumed it would be as bulletproof as the LTC. The MKS I felt was too close in price to the MKT.

As much as I want to get my fleet more "modern" I settled for a tried and tested LTC with 30k miles for $18k... in basically brand new condition.

What problems have you heard? I have an MKT and have had no issues at all.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Quote Originally Posted by metroguy2012 View Post
    I was in the market for a <15k miles used 2013 MKT or a new 2014 Chrysler 300. Price range between $25-35k.

After spending a lot of time looking into both cars, I came to the conclusion that many MKT and 300 owners are experiencing problems between the 2 cars. I was more surprised to hear this about the MKT because I assumed it would be as bulletproof as the LTC. The MKS I felt was too close in price to the MKT.

As much as I want to get my fleet more "modern" I settled for a tried and tested LTC with 30k miles for $18k... in basically brand new condition.
    This is the first I have heard from anyone concerning "problems" I would like to hear more details on this. It's a good thing Lincoln offers a 4/150 warranty on it, if there is any issues repairs will not be coming out of my pocket. I will say our TC being replaced has 370k on the clock and repairs have been minimal to date, the main reason for replacing is current model and technology. If our traveling clients are getting into new cars on the other end of the trip then we want to make sure we are keeping up with the times, this IMO will keep the customers coming back.

Blog Entries

We have 2 – 3 inched of snow falling in central Alabama. Time to buy the 6 Cyl. AWD, MKT Town Car. It is time to let the old Lincoln Town Car go, lets move forward. This is a great vehicle. I do not believe we will ever purchase another SUV.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite2RememberLimo View Post
    This is the first I have heard from anyone concerning "problems" I would like to hear more details on this. It's a good thing Lincoln offers a 4/150 warranty on it, if there is any issues repairs will not be coming out of my pocket. I will say our TC being replaced has 370k on the clock and repairs have been minimal to date, the main reason for replacing is current model and technology. If our traveling clients are getting into new cars on the other end of the trip then we want to make sure we are keeping up with the times, this IMO will keep the customers coming back.

For whatever it's worth... A local affiliate and very good friend of mine who has > 5 MKT's in his fleet mentioned to me that he has had multiple check engine light instances. He is somewhat disappointed with the vehicle. I was told the codes can only be pulled by a Lincoln certified mechanic at the dealership. One issue I can recall that he had was related to the exhaust manifold. I remember him also pointing some trim issues outside of the MKT trunk area while he was showing off the vehicle.

This is obviously not a good thing. Whether the car is covered under warranty or not, down time is down time. When you are forced to deal with dealerships, unless you are in with the service department, prompt appointments can sometimes be hard to come by.

Don't get me wrong, a big reason for me wanting to jump on the MKT bandwagon was the terrible winter we are having here. The AWD is super enticing. As much as the LTC blows in the snow, I've always been able to get through it. I can count the number of days per year that snow is an issue on 1 hand. Most of the time, passengers travel arrangements are cancelled anyway and the days are dead.

I am not a big fan of the legitimacy of consumer reports but the 2013 MKT has also been receiving some unfavorable grades and reviews. Something you would never see with something like the original LTC.

I'm not trying to justify my purchase. I did want something new to welcome to the fleet.

I drive quite a few high profile clients and to this day have not had 1 complaint about the vehicles in my fleet. They are all well maintained, exceptionally clean and for 1/2 the price of what would have been my new toy I have added something that will generate some revenue for at least another 2 years.

Oh, and throw in the potholes we are experiencing here in the NYC tri-state area from the winter... these cars are taking a BEATING like they've never been subjected to!!!
    Last edited by metroguy2012; February 13th, 2014 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by metroguy2012 View Post
    For whatever it's worth... A local affiliate and very good friend of mine who has > 5 MKT's in his fleet mentioned to me that he has had multiple check engine light instances. He is somewhat disappointed with the vehicle. I was told the codes can only be pulled by a Lincoln certified mechanic at the dealership. One issue I can recall that he had was related to the exhaust manifold. I remember him also pointing some trim issues outside of the MKT trunk area while he was showing off the vehicle.

This is obviously not a good thing. Whether the car is covered under warranty or not, down time is down time. When you are forced to deal with dealerships, unless you are in with the service department, prompt appointments can sometimes be hard to come by.

Don't get me wrong, a big reason for me wanting to jump on the MKT bandwagon was the terrible winter we are having here. The AWD is super enticing. As much as the LTC blows in the snow, I've always been able to get through it. I can count the number of days per year that snow is an issue on 1 hand. Most of the time, passengers travel arrangements are cancelled anyway and the days are dead.

I am not a big fan of the legitimacy of consumer reports but the 2013 MKT has also been receiving some unfavorable grades and reviews. Something you would never see with something like the original LTC.

I'm not trying to justify my purchase. I did want something new to welcome to the fleet.

I drive quite a few high profile clients and to this day have not had 1 complaint about the vehicles in my fleet. They are all well maintained, exceptionally clean and for 1/2 the price of what would have been my new toy I have added something that will generate some revenue for at least another 2 years.

Oh, and throw in the potholes we are experiencing here in the NYC tri-state area from the winter... these cars are taking a BEATING like they've never been subjected to!!!
    I can relate to some of the things you mention however these same types of issues can be found on any of the new choices available to us (Chrysler, Cadillac, Hyundai, Toyota) anytime you pack that much technology into a vehicle there is a good chance there will be some minor bugs to work out. I argree 110% that the old TC's are bullet proof but that does not change the fact that the Panther Platform has been put out to pasture and is never coming back. I would take a guess that with whats still out there (03-11 TC's) there is maybe 3-5 years of good service life left in them, then what will all the die hard's do?

Quote Originally Posted by Nite2RememberLimo View Post
    I can relate to some of the things you mention however these same types of issues can be found on any of the new choices available to us (Chrysler, Cadillac, Hyundai, Toyota) anytime you pack that much technology into a vehicle there is a good chance there will be some minor bugs to work out. I argree 110% that the old TC's are bullet proof but that does not change the fact that the Panther Platform has been put out to pasture and is never coming back. I would take a guess that with whats still out there (03-11 TC's) there is maybe 3-5 years of good service life left in them, then what will all the die hard's do?
    While I was aware that some of the newer electric/hybrid vehicles need to be serviced by a qualified technician, I didn't know that this was the case with all of the new model cars. To me, it's just another factor to consider when making the decision.

The LTC is still in the majority when it comes to livery vehicles on the road and when a customer asks what type of vehicle we will be sending, responding with "a clean black LTC" always seems to be the answer they are looking for.

If you can get another 3-5 years worth of quality work out of a $10-20k (06-12, <100k miles) LTC, even without a warranty, I'd say go for it. That makes more sense to me then going with a $40k+ vehicle and all the extra expenses (higher insurance, etc) that come along with it.

When the smoke settles by then, we should have a better idea what the new tried and tested standard will be.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

It cracks me up how much Ford is pushing the MKT. Seems like every issue of all 3 limo mags has some sort of write-up or mention of how awesome it is or what gadgets are on it. Seems pretty obvious if you have to push something this hard...might need to re-think! It is ugly!
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com