Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: Lincoln Air Springs

  1. #16
    Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Posts
    1,437
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Arnott bags are great. We put them in our 120" and 100" never a problem. The bags in our 120" have been in there for almost 5 years without any problems.

  2. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    123

    Default

    The ease of replacing old air shocks and struts with new ones had me wondering why anyone would convert to springs and mess with a spring compressor. I enjoyed the ride and always being level even with more weight in the rear. I used Arnott and had no problems. Just for S&Gs, I called the dealer who quoted me a $1200 higher price for just the TWO front struts than I paid in parts. The work itself was as simple as replacing a top-mounted alternator.

  3. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Houston/TX
    Posts
    452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cougars 2 go View Post
    The ease of replacing old air shocks and struts with new ones had me wondering why anyone would convert to springs and mess with a spring compressor. I enjoyed the ride and always being level even with more weight in the rear. I used Arnott and had no problems. Just for S&Gs, I called the dealer who quoted me a $1200 higher price for just the TWO front struts than I paid in parts. The work itself was as simple as replacing a top-mounted alternator.
    What year do you have again? On my 2006, changing the front shocks was not fun. The up-rated springs on my limo were pushing the limits of the spring compressors I had on hand, so I had to rent 2 of the same sets from 2 part stores, and I needed to upgrade my air impact wrench to be able to turn the bolts on the 4 spring compressors.

    By the way, they are not struts or air shocks. It's coil over shocks in the front, and regular shocks in the back with air springs for my model year. Earlier models had the shocks in the front outside of the springs, which made them very easy to change.

    Maybe the shop was quoting for the coil overs, but it's still not a $1200 labor job. With the right tools and experience, you can do a front shock replacement in about half an hour.
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; April 15th, 2014 at 11:36 PM.

  4. #19

    Default

    The trick to replacing front shocks on LTC limos is to put the spring compressors on the springs and lock them down BEFORE raising the car off the ground. Much easier that way.

  5. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Houston/TX
    Posts
    452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LGAL View Post
    The trick to replacing front shocks on LTC limos is to put the spring compressors on the springs and lock them down BEFORE raising the car off the ground. Much easier that way.
    That's true if you have room to fit the style compressors you have, but didn't apply to me because I was replacing the springs as well as the shocks, which are surprisingly not very expensive even though they are custom made. I ordered the exact same springs from the same company that Tiffany used originally.

  6. #21

    Default

    Why did you replace the springs?

  7. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Houston/TX
    Posts
    452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LGAL View Post
    Why did you replace the springs?
    Car was leaning to right and that was the recommendation by the guy at Tiffany.

    I was ok with changing the springs anyway so I could restore the ride to like new with the new air springs and all 4 shocks. The ball joints and bushings were fine.

    It rides better than any limo I have ever rented. When I got it, it definitely rode like crap.
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; April 16th, 2014 at 10:02 PM.

  8. #23

    Default

    i used a conversion kit from strut masters for my old 99 100inch stretch, had no change in drive quality that i could notice really.
    highly recommended.put about 100k on them with no issues

  9. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FamilyLimo View Post
    What year do you have again? On my 2006, changing the front shocks was not fun. The up-rated springs on my limo were pushing the limits of the spring compressors I had on hand, so I had to rent 2 of the same sets from 2 part stores, and I needed to upgrade my air impact wrench to be able to turn the bolts on the 4 spring compressors.

    By the way, they are not struts or air shocks. It's coil over shocks in the front, and regular shocks in the back with air springs for my model year. Earlier models had the shocks in the front outside of the springs, which made them very easy to change.

    Maybe the shop was quoting for the coil overs, but it's still not a $1200 labor job. With the right tools and experience, you can do a front shock replacement in about half an hour.
    Mine were struts. Guess a key here would have been that I replaced them on a Lincoln MarkVIII. Those fronts were struts. Wished some of my other cars had the same setup. It was simple. I suppose the dealer was taking advantage of people with deep pockets and no willingness to tackle it themselves... which was probably the stereotypical Mark owner at the time.
    Last edited by Cougars 2 go; May 16th, 2014 at 05:02 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •