Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln Air Springs

Default Lincoln Air Springs

Has anyone ever converted their rear air springs (past or present) to the coil springs using the conversion kits? If so, was it worth it and which conversion kit did you use? If not, what were your reasons? We have a very slow leak on our 2001 LTC stretch and everything I'm reading is telling me it is probably the air spring itself. I have read several articles on the pros of converting but I am concerned about what the ride will be like if we convert. I know, the articles claim that the ride is the same but afterall it is the manufacturer of the conversion kits that are writing the articles. Hearing from the boots on the ground carries more weight. Thanks in advance for the opinions!

Al

Search the forum. This has even discussed before. I would recommend sticking with the air springs. They are easy to replace and fairly cheap. Just do it soon so you don't wear out your compressor.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

I agree air springs are a must. Get then from https://www.arnottindustries.com/ they offer the heavy duty limo bags.

Thanks for the opinions! I will replace the air springs and regulators (only $16 each at Arnott if purchased with bags). It looks fairly straight forward.

I did some testing and it takes almost 24 hours for the air springs to lose their pressure. When I drive the limo without load, the warning light does not come on. However, if I have my family in the back then the warning light comes on within about 10 minutes and stays on. I'll run the same tests after replacement and see what happens.

Thanks again for the input…no one around here knows anything about limos!

I use a company called Strutmasters for replacement air bags and I have also bought their conversion kit and replaced the air suspension system on my personal Expedition with no significant change in the ride. You can Google them.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

You should keep the air springs because they do more than just give a good ride. They also self level up when you put passengers in the car and let the car back down when the passengers get out. With coil springs the back end will go down when loaded and stay there until the passengers get out. And if the springs are stiff enough to not go down the ride will be terrible.

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

You can get the air springs (stretched limos are different than sedan) from O'Reilys.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Wrong ! air spring are same as sedan version . You can buy after market heavy duty ones (aluminium base) but they are not OEM .

Don't waste your money on the bags with the aluminum base. I put 2 on my car a few years ago and 6 months later one blew out. The bag came apart from the aluminum base. Got em from Arnott. Your better off with the regular ones. And their all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by LGAL View Post
    Don't waste your money on the bags with the aluminum base. I put 2 on my car a few years ago and 6 months later one blew out. The bag came apart from the aluminum base. Got em from Arnott. Your better off with the regular ones. And their all the same.
    I would have to imagine you just got a air spring that was not manufactured correctly. That can happen with anything, so I wouldn't broadly recommend staying away from the manufacturer's recommendation based on one bad apple.
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; April 4th, 2014 at 10:36 AM.

You are right. I did get one that was manufactured incorrectly and that's why I will never buy anything again from Arnott. And that episode cost me a lot of money, so my recommendation is stay away from Arnott.

I've heard that a lot about StrutMasters.

Most people swear by the Arnott's.
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; April 4th, 2014 at 11:42 AM.

I swore at them!

I talked to a operator who put springs on his 10 passenger and he loves them, he said with a full load it sags alittle.

I talked to an operator who put coil springs on his 120 and he wound up selling it because the ride was so bad.