Thread: Thinking of starting a limo business in PA

Default Thinking of starting a limo business in PA

Hi Guys My name is Anthony. I own a 96" stretch town car. I got it in a trade and use it personally. I am considering starting a limo business and wanted some opinions. I live in PA so I know I need a PUC license. I think I also need a PPA license to operate in Philadelphia. Anyone know how difficult it is to aquire both of these? Any suggestions? Any suggestions on insurance companies?

I own a security company so the idea of running a business is not a concern. I just don't know anything about the limo industry. I have a few drivers that I use occasionally to drive for me. They are all great and I think would do well working for me. They would all be ok with it being part time especially in the beginning.

Thanks in advance!

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! Also curious as to how you guys go about building a client list and building the business.

Hey Anthony welcome to the forum. Member Joel Yee posted this a while back so most may still be accurate:

if you want to do work in Philadelphia, you will need to appy to the PPA Phila. parking authority for a license.
    The FEE IS $10,000.

http://philapark.org/taxis-limousines/

New Limousine Certificate Application Fee $10,000
    Plus Annual Fee for Limousines - $300 per car.
    Also you will need Annual Fee for Driver Certificates $80 and
    New Driver Certification with Classroom Training $130

Plus you will need a Pennsylvania PUC cerificate $350.

http://www.puc.state.pa.us/general/o...Limo_178LM.pdf

So the total to start a limousine service / car service in PA/ PHILA. is $10860.

Then you have to buy a car less than 5 years old & under 51000 miles. & pay for insurance.

And if you are going to travel interstate you will need USDOT / FMSCA authority $ 300.
    and you also need $1,500,000 minimum liability coverage insurance.
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

Hi Anthony: My name is George & this is my 1st for the forum.-My company is a finance company & have helped many people wanting to get into the limo business.
    One thing we advise new comers to do is to ADVERISE. Places to advertise is at hotels, country clubs,restaurants.
    photographers etc.
    Make up fliers and place it in malls.There are FREE places you can find on the internet.

Blog Entries

Hi Anthony, I may be able to help you with some questions relating to PA PUC, etc., I am in the southwest PA area. I am also in the Security business as well. I recently obtained PUC; I'd be happy to try to help you out.

Thanks guys!!

legacy...I would love to pick your brain sometime. my email is firmani99 at gmail.

Steve is 5 years 51k the limit and then you have to sell your cars? Who sets that the puc?

anyone?

Sorry I do not know the particulars of the 5 year or 51K mile limit. That seems a bit excessive to me. I would bet they allow you to run them over 51K they just do not want any new vehicle brought on with over 51K. Kinda smart. Keeps Old Limos from the market.

Thanks a lot for asking the question ...i've the same question about starting business of limo car on rent ...but can anyone guide me about it.As we talking about my place the drivers, insurance and other are not a big issue here, but may be looking after more suggestion is good option for that..

Tony where is "Here" ?? India? This board is Mostly USA based. Would not know the laws for India.