Thread: Starting Own Business As Driver/Owner of Single Town Car Company. Need help.

Default Starting Own Business As Driver/Owner of Single Town Car Company. Need help.

I am interested in owning my own town car and driving customers myself. Just a one car operation. I am based in the Silicon Valley, California.

1) How much could I expect to ear (a broad range, I am sure, but perhaps a rough estimate would be good. And I do plan on advertising).

2) Is the process of obtaining my TCP license in CA pretty straightforward? I've read conflicting info online. Some claim the state is already maxed out on how many TCP numbers they can dish out. Is this true?

Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated. I love driving people around, but the margins are so slim working for Uber or Taxi companies. I thought owning my own business would be the way to go.

Thanks

Welcome James. How much you can earn is a very broad question. I'm from AZ but just started out with 1 car and myself as driver so can provide that kind of insight at least. Starting out has been very slow where I am (due to it being slow season) so just trying to get known is the hardest part in my opinion. We are advertising in one of those papers that is free at many gas stations etc but have not got a single lead so now going to move on to another advertising venue and work from there. Once you get in with the businesses I think then it can start to become a good gig.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneLimo View Post
    Welcome James. How much you can earn is a very broad question. I'm from AZ but just started out with 1 car and myself as driver so can provide that kind of insight at least. Starting out has been very slow where I am (due to it being slow season) so just trying to get known is the hardest part in my opinion. We are advertising in one of those papers that is free at many gas stations etc but have not got a single lead so now going to move on to another advertising venue and work from there. Once you get in with the businesses I think then it can start to become a good gig.
    Thank you for the info. Much appreciated. It took my wife 3 years before she was able to develop a full schedule as a hair stylist. Now she has to turn customers away and she's making great $$. My brother-in-law graduated from dental school in 2008. He is just now barely turning profits in his office. He struggled for a long time to find patients/customers....still is struggling actually. It's always rough and slow when starting your own business. Hang in there, and keep advertising! Wishing you the best.

James

Thanks for those wishes as well, my main goal is to enjoy what I'm doing so time will tell. Yes schooling never guarantees "success" and a good instance of huge overhead and the more you gotta make! This is why I personally am doing the one car with myself as the driver, when business gets good can make great money and hardly anything to pay out soooo can just skate through the slow months. At first I was overwhelmed with all the state bs too but once I stood back and took a breather it really was not that bad and didn't take long to get up and running. This forum has been a great source for myself (and anyone else I imagine) starting out, still lots to learn but that's ok. Best wishes to you on your adventure!

Hi James. Just go to the CA PUC website, click on transportation, then click on Basic Information for Carriers and Applicants and it will tell you everything you need to know. I don't think there's any limit on tcp numbers and it will cost you $1000 to apply plus some other stuff. Good luck.

Hey James welcome. AS far as i know there are no limits on the Number of TCP permits they will allow in CA. There maybe some delay in getting them the more companies are signing up but it is definitely an open market.

However looking at the website I see they have a broken link to the application package. They maybe updating it to account for the new Uber rules.
    http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/PUC/transport...SGstartups.htm

You can always call them they will mail you a package.

Here is a post where we discussed the steps you should follow, kinda old the numbers may be off.
    http://www.limousinesonline.com/show...ll=1#post81027

Hate to tell you but the margins on the sedans are pretty tight as well. Since the barriers to entry are so low the price gets squeezed pretty hard. Do a good business plan to see where the opportunities might exist in your market.
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

Hi James; I am new to this forum-The company I work for is a finance company & we instruct new operators to have a business plan. Within that plan there is a section for MARKETING. Places to market your business is at hotels, country clubs, restraunts,photographers. You could put fliers in malls, etc.