Thread: 07 LTC Krystal rear power problem

Default 07 LTC Krystal rear power problem

We bought this car in February and it's been a good money maker for us, but I continue to have rear power problems.

Alternator checks out, replaced battery for rear last month, but the battery will go dead if it sits for more than a few days.

Once the car is running for 15 or 20 minutes the battery will charge enough to power up the back and then after a nights work it's good for a while.

In a pinch I can press the red A/B button and jump start the rear. Before I replaced the rear battery I did this and it blew out the 7" LCD so I'm not wanting to rely on this as a fix.

I turn off the master power to the rear at the end of runs and now I turn off all the features at the driver control panel also. This does not seem to help.

When the rear does power up, all 3 leds on the digital circuit board blink about once a second. I have no idea if this is normal or not.

Is it possibly one of the solenoids?

Is there a recommended way to trickle charge the rear battery till I sort this out?

I would be interested in any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

(Also, anyone know where to get a replacement 7" TV?)

Do you have one of these bussman breakers in your car? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bussman-DC-C...-/220666129340

Mine is on the right front fender well under the hood. If you can find it, you can press that red button and it will completely disconnect the limo battery from all the electronics until you flip that little black door closed. That will at least solve your issue of the battery going flat while the car sits without having to hook up a trickle charger. It's a good idea, even when things are working well, to disconnect the limo battery if the car will sit for a couple of weeks (per the Limotouch labeling).

Assuming your battery and alternator really are in good shape, what would help you is an amp meter. You can check the amount of amps from the cables connected the bussmann to see how much it's drawing with everything turned off. If it's drawing more than normal, you can individually disconnect electrical things until you find out what is drawing the excess power. Disconnecting things can be done with connectors or fuses inside you

Something like this amp meter is only $20 and easy to use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXv0057LYDA

For the TV, whatever you do, try to avoid calling the limo parts sellers. They charge a lot for these things, and rarely have what you need in stock. What I would recommend is pulling out the screen and finding part numbers on the back. You can then google that part number to find replacements for sale on eBay or Amazon, or elsewhere.

Default Alternator?

Quote Originally Posted by TC Rider View Post
    Alternator checks out, replaced battery for rear last month, but the battery will go dead if it sits for more than a few days.
    Was the secondary alternator removed from the car to perform the check that determined it was good? Check the 3 prong power connector to the alternator & check the solenoid on the wheel well behind the battery.

Sounds like a problem I had that wound up being fixed with a new alternator and new alternator connector.
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Celebrating 9 years of superior service to the Charlotte, NC market. Serving corporate and individual clients with sedans, vans and limousines.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyLimo View Post
    Do you have one of these bussman breakers in your car? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bussman-DC-C...-/220666129340

Mine is on the right front fender well under the hood. If you can find it, you can press that red button and it will completely disconnect the limo battery from all the electronics until you flip that little black door closed. That will at least solve your issue of the battery going flat while the car sits without having to hook up a trickle charger. It's a good idea, even when things are working well, to disconnect the limo battery if the car will sit for a couple of weeks (per the Limotouch labeling).

Assuming your battery and alternator really are in good shape, what would help you is an amp meter. You can check the amount of amps from the cables connected the bussmann to see how much it's drawing with everything turned off. If it's drawing more than normal, you can individually disconnect electrical things until you find out what is drawing the excess power. Disconnecting things can be done with connectors or fuses inside you

Something like this amp meter is only $20 and easy to use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXv0057LYDA

For the TV, whatever you do, try to avoid calling the limo parts sellers. They charge a lot for these things, and rarely have what you need in stock. What I would recommend is pulling out the screen and finding part numbers on the back. You can then google that part number to find replacements for sale on eBay or Amazon, or elsewhere.
    Thank you for the good suggestions. I will invest in the bussmann and AMP meter.

My problem is I only know a little, and don't know that which I don't know. I'm not even sure where to connect the trickle charger to boost the rear battery. I do understand the basics of 12V automotive electrics, I'm just lost on where to start in the Limo.

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy01 View Post
    Was the secondary alternator removed from the car to perform the check that determined it was good? Check the 3 prong power connector to the alternator & check the solenoid on the wheel well behind the battery.

Sounds like a problem I had that wound up being fixed with a new alternator and new alternator connector.
    My local Ford dealer did pull the sec alternator for the test. I've been suspicious of the solenoid and will probably replace it when I figure out replacement part.

Why would you take the alternator out of the car to test it? You test it in the car with the motor running.

Quote Originally Posted by TC Rider View Post
    Thank you for the good suggestions. I will invest in the bussmann and AMP meter.

My problem is I only know a little, and don't know that which I don't know. I'm not even sure where to connect the trickle charger to boost the rear battery. I do understand the basics of 12V automotive electrics, I'm just lost on where to start in the Limo.
    I was just saying to find the bussman, not add one. It's got to have something along those lines already. When you find it you will have an easy way to protect the battery from draining.

For the second part of your post, I was like you when I got my used and pretty beat up limo in March. I know a ton about cars, but the limo was new to me.

Since you are acting like you want to be your own mechanic on this vehicle, what I can tell you is that you should dive in sooner instead of later. Start pulling off the beauty the panels so you can learn what is where and what it does. Now after 9 months, there isn't any mystery left for me. I have had my hands on everything in the car at some point in that time, and I feel ready for anything.

When you pull out the panels and find the components, then either google or call the manufacturers to get the manuals.

As much as is in these limos, they are really very simple.

Default Primary vs. 2ndary alternator

Quote Originally Posted by LGAL View Post
    Why would you take the alternator out of the car to test it? You test it in the car with the motor running.
    Unless you are dealing with an experienced auto electric tech, they will give you the primary alternator readings. Removal, check & replacement of the 2ndary can be done in less than 30 minutes.

Ask me how do I know this?
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Celebrating 9 years of superior service to the Charlotte, NC market. Serving corporate and individual clients with sedans, vans and limousines.

You can check and see if the alternator is putting out the correct voltage in the car in about 10 seconds. What else do you need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy01 View Post
    Unless you are dealing with an experienced auto electric tech, they will give you the primary alternator readings.
    If you go to a Autozone to have them hook up their tester, one would hope that you would show them where is the limo battery so they can test from the right location. Showing the guy where the battery is located is a lot easier that removing an alternator.

If you don't know where your limo battery is located, you either need to figure that out sooner instead of later, or find a shop that specializes in limos and take yourself out of the repair equation and get good at writing checks.