Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big accident last month

There was a merge lane from the right prior to the downhill, additionally, when approaching an intersection, you want to provide as much separation as possible from the right angle traffic, yet another reason the left lane is correct.

That there was no recognition of the warning sign(& reduced speed) prior to the intersection, the light, etc until that last 4-5 car lengths is extremely problematic. That nobody struck the median barrier (& it's so exposed) was very fortunate.

Defensive driver training & in-car driver evaluations should be an essential part of your driver hire process. Emphasize passengers are required to wear seatbelts. Had the passenger not been buckled, in all probability, he would have been severely injured.

We try to emphasize current safety protocols. Next time you are driving, try doing a narrative incorporating the following Smith System tips. You should be able to ride with a driver as a front and rear seat passenger and identify problem issues. Your drivers should be able to perform this narrative as well.

Everyone should be using some iteration of the Smith System.
    Aim High in Steering
    They say 15 seconds, I say as far as you can see.
    Get the Big Picture
    Recognize all potential hazards and plan for any contingency
    Keep Your Eyes Moving
    Requires changing the focal point every 2 to 3 seconds. L outside mirror, front, rearview mirror, front, R outside mirror, then reverse.
    Leave Yourself and Out
    Allow proper following distance & alternative escape options on either side. My pet peeve is the vehicle that closes & then parks on my rear quarter panel, eliminating an option.
    Make Sure They See You
    Communication, thru turn signals, hand signals, & eye contact should be an integral component of your driving style.

Make sure your drivers have visual acuity tests & night vision tests. You can find some of these tests online. Be aware part-time drivers may have alertness issues.

Annual reviews, in house safety training & testing will help keep your passengers & drivers safe.
    Last edited by wimpy01; December 7th, 2013 at 04:19 AM.
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Celebrating 9 years of superior service to the Charlotte, NC market. Serving corporate and individual clients with sedans, vans and limousines.

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy01 View Post
    There was a merge lane from the right prior to the downhill, additionally, when approaching an intersection, you want to provide as much separation as possible from the right angle traffic, yet another reason the left lane is correct.
    Interesting. Here it's "keep right except to pass" on divided highways. I've never read that travel in the left lane is preferred over the right. Also, the further left you sit at an intersection, the closer you may be to the path of a left turning rig or long vehicle from the crossroad. I'm going to look that up when I get a moment.

I also haven't heard the need or requirement to move left for an entering merge lane with no vehicles on it. I'll have to check that too.
    Last edited by Cougars 2 go; December 7th, 2013 at 05:10 AM.

I can't find the regulation supporting this claim so far. I'm only finding the support for right lane preference generally speaking (obviously there are always exceptions).

If someone can post a link to a federal or state highway regulation supporting this, that would be appreciated.

Most left lane laws only apply to highways with only 2 lanes in each direction and outside of city limits.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    Most left lane laws only apply to highways with only 2 lanes in each direction and outside of city limits.
    Yeah, I'm aware of that due to the increased cross traffic and left turns from the highway and such in more congested areas where both lanes are fair game in scenarios with a lot of left and right turns from both lanes. This particular stretch seemed to have the 'Jersey lefts' due to the limited space between the lanes going in opposite directions.

Favoring the right is a habit for me out of courtesies and observance of better traffic flow as well as influence from my time in Germany and the level of seriousness they have toward driving. Favoring the left is rare and usually has signage such as on the PA turnpike in certain conditions for trucks.

My point wasn't so much as black and white laws but rather trends, observations, awareness, courtesies and such although any statement in the law I come across seems to favor the right in most circumstances for two lanes of travel in the same direction.

They are starting to crack down on riding the left lane here in Texas. But like mentioned, it's only enforced outside the big city.

When I lived up North, I got in the habit of riding the left lane because, first, I was young and going faster than everyone else, and second, because those asphalt roads get beat up in the right lane by the trucks that stay in the right lane. On long trips it gets tiring to be driving on the "cross country" right lane versus the silky smooth left lane.

If I were a limo driver concerned with the quality of service for my passenger, I would stay in the smoothest lane.

Back to the accident, when I look at the video a couple of more times, it's simple to me: She was looking at something else while driving. Who knows what. It's just impossible to be looking at the road and miss everything she missed.
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; December 7th, 2013 at 08:26 AM.

Default Left Lane bandits

Can't believe the nit-picking. My comment was in response to Cougars 2 go's specific diatribe about inattention & left lane 'campers'.

This statement has everything to do with the accident & the video, reading anything else into it is just wrong.

I taught defensive driving classes for several years in the late 90's. As a matter of practice (& courtesy), the recommendation is to vacate the right lane when approaching a merge. & NO there wasn't traffic on the ramp, but it doesn't matter. I want my drivers to maintain separation from potential hazards (see the Smith System tips).

Likewise for the left lane approaching an intersection. The potential hazards are more of a concern, someone running a red light, etc. The left lane gives you more wiggle room.

I didn't say anything about staying in the left lane. Anytime I'm on a multi-lane limited access, I will be in the right lane. Exceptions as noted above as well as rough pavement noted in another post (it is after all about the client's comfort & safety).

I typically never camp in any lane as slower traffic, faster traffic, etc will impact where I am at any given moment (See Smith System tips) in my earlier post.
    Last edited by wimpy01; December 7th, 2013 at 11:54 AM.
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Celebrating 9 years of superior service to the Charlotte, NC market. Serving corporate and individual clients with sedans, vans and limousines.

[QUOTE=wimpy01;116166]Can't believe the nit-picking. My comment was in response to Cougars 2 go's specific diatribe about inattention & left lane 'campers'.

This statement has everything to do with the accident & the video, reading anything else into it is just wrong.

You are absolutely correct on all this.

Can't believe the nit-picking. My comment was in response to Cougars 2 go's specific diatribe about inattention & left lane 'campers'.

I taught defensive driving classes for several years in the late 90's. As a matter of practice (& courtesy), the recommendation is to vacate the right lane when approaching a merge. & NO there wasn't traffic on the ramp, but it doesn't matter. I want my drivers to maintain separation from potential hazards (see the Smith System tips).

Likewise for the left lane approaching an intersection. The potential hazards are more of a concern, someone running a red light, etc. The left lane gives you more wiggle room.

I didn't say anything about staying in the left lane. Anytime I'm on a multi-lane limited access, I will be in the right lane. Exceptions as noted above as well as rough pavement noted in another post (it is after all about the client's comfort & safety).

I typically never camp in any lane as slower traffic, faster traffic, etc will impact where I am at any given moment (See Smith System tips) in my earlier post.
    Constant lane jockeying for no cars and every intersection doesn't make safer odds and smoother traffic flow. Especially in a long heavy vehicle. I did read those tips and gained nothing as they are all common sense and I even remember some of them being taught in driver's ed when I was in high school.

I agree with everyone on the exceptions and such and other conditions. It doesn't seem anyone here is a left lane camper and it seems we agree on most everything except the lane changing for empty merge lanes.

I wasn't saying anyone here is a left lane camper. In my original post, I presented it as a possibility for the driver next to that video camera.
    Last edited by Cougars 2 go; December 7th, 2013 at 06:35 PM.

Microsleep

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Example of an EEG alpha wave

Example of an EEG theta wave

A microsleep (MS) is a temporary episode of sleep which may last for a fraction of a second or up to thirty seconds where an individual fails to respond to some arbitrary sensory input.[1][2] MSs occur when an individual loses awareness and subsequently gains awareness after a brief lapse in consciousness, or when there are sudden shifts between states of wakefulness and sleep. In behavioral terms, MSs manifest as droopy eyes, slow eyelid-closure, and head nodding.[2] In electrical terms, microsleeps are often classified as a shift in electroencephalography (EEG) during which 4–7 Hz (theta wave) activity replaces the waking 8–13 Hz (alpha wave) background rhythm.[3]
    MSs often occur as a result of sleep deprivation, though normal non-sleep deprived individuals can also experience MSs during monotonous tasks.[4] Some experts define microsleep according to behavioral criteria (head nods, drooping eyelids, etc.), while others rely on EEG markers.[5] Since there are many ways to detect MSs in a variety of contexts there is little agreement on how best to identify and classify microsleep episodes.
    Microsleeps become extremely dangerous when they occur in situations that demand constant alertness, such as driving a motor vehicle or working with heavy machinery. People who experience microsleeps usually remain unaware of them, instead believing themselves to have been awake the whole time, or to have temporarily lost focus.[6]

Maybe this is what happened.

Blue - Have you considered setting the times on the cameras to UTC? This would emlinate the need for daylight savings switches and it could easily be figured what time the event occurred without having to remember whether or not the camera is set to daylight time or not.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Excuse me if this has been discussed because I must have missed it but how did we rule out texting?
    Nick Groat
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Nick@BellaVitaLimos.com
    Bella Vita Limousines

Quote Originally Posted by cvclubs View Post
    Excuse me if this has been discussed because I must have missed it but how did we rule out texting?
    If you read through the first page of this thread, no one ruled it out, it's just there is nothing yet to confirm that.

If he had the camera that has the front and back view, this wouldn't be a mystery.

Ok so the most likely scenarios are; texting, micro sleep or being distracted by grass on the side of the road. My vote is for texting. I don't see this as being a mystery so much. There is no way to confirm any story but texting is the most obvious choice here.
    Nick Groat
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Nick@BellaVitaLimos.com
    Bella Vita Limousines

Blog Entries

I do not believe the driver was texting while driving. If you position your mouse over the solid line while the vehicle is driving, it is relatively stright with a slight drifting which is nothing out of the ordinary. No driver could stay perfectly aligned between the lines.