Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big accident last month

Thank you guys, I was able to see the answer within me after all the help and tips here. I know what to do now. The camera I use in every car is Itronics ITB-100HD, they bring pure truth to you and they are more than worth the price. Check out their reviews on YouTube. They also have Itronics ITB-500HD which is a far better, yet far expensive camera. I can't afford to replace this new one at the moment, but if I were to buy brand new, I will go with the 500 HD. These are Korean made so they don't have day light saving changes, but I don't care for exact time of accident. The best thing is, once you install it, you can forget about it. I have been using them since last 3 years and haven't seen any issue. Once the 32gb memory card is full, it re-records again from the oldest recording and it can record 12 hours of super HD recording. The YouTube recording that I posted has lost 80% of quality, the actual quality is far superior...
    ~Dee

Steve is right. That stretch really was mesmerizing and then all of a sudden there's a red light. Maybe it's just the video but that light was hard to see. Seems like there should be more and bigger lights. But even so she should have seen the car pulling out in front of her but it looks like she never hit the brakes.

The only thing I can say is that 1/4 mile before the stoplight, there is a yellow sign on the right side of the road indicating that there is a traffic light coming in a 1/4 mile.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Senior Member Excalibur Limousine's Avatar

A little off topic, but what brand of camera are you using in your cars?
    Excalibur Limousine Service
    'Delivering on Service'

Lincoln TC Exec L
    Ford Expedition
    Lincoln TC 85" Stretch - Krystal 85R3
    Lincoln TC 120" Super Stretch - Krystal 120V5 & ECB
    Ford Excursion 140" Stretch - Krystal & ECB
    Ford E450 Limo Coach - Krystal KK28
    Ford F550 Limo Coach - Krystal KK33

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur Limousine View Post
    A little off topic, but what brand of camera are you using in your cars?
    See post #16 of this thread.

Senior Member Excalibur Limousine's Avatar

Thxs, reading to fast I guess.
    Excalibur Limousine Service
    'Delivering on Service'

Lincoln TC Exec L
    Ford Expedition
    Lincoln TC 85" Stretch - Krystal 85R3
    Lincoln TC 120" Super Stretch - Krystal 120V5 & ECB
    Ford Excursion 140" Stretch - Krystal & ECB
    Ford E450 Limo Coach - Krystal KK28
    Ford F550 Limo Coach - Krystal KK33

Blog Entries

Looks like the Red Light was just invisible to her. Without any question, it is your drivers fault, without any question.

However, it is also the others drivers responsibility the make sure that just because the have a green light, their first responsibility is to make sure the intersection is clear. This may reduce your insurance payout.

Again, this is my opinion. As the saying goes, every company is one accident from being out of business.

Where is the interior view?

Our driver had an accident two years ago. We did not have a camera in the vehicle. We now have Seven 3Rd Eye Cameras now. It would have been the difference of the claim being paid within a few hours vs. several days. There were three cars involved including ours. The driver at fault, failed to yield and turned in front of our vehicle then struck the other vehicle waiting for the light to change. I cannot stress the urgency of having a response plan to an accident no matter how small it might be.

Everyone was blaming our driver until I arrived on location. First, the oncoming driver failed you yield to oncoming traffic. End of Story, his fault. Take pictures of everything, consider yourself a Japanese tourist on vacation. Take pictures of everything. You must also take photos with a film camera in additional to the digital photos. DO NOT ONLY use a digital camera.

Our vehicle had <$3K in damage and was drivable. The stopped vehicle was totaled. The oncoming vehicle which actually caused the accident, hit the stopped car with such impact, the driver's front wheel actually snapped off. This damage was not discovered until the other two vehicles were towed.

It is my opining the driver attempted to step on the brake but stepped on the accelerator. It was an elderly driver.

I wonder what the accident rate is at that intersection. I bet it's pretty high.

It's not like the intersection is around a blind corner, or there are trees blocking the view of the lights. It's a pretty darn standard intersection even if you got sleepy watching the super serene LTC do its thing.

I am sure the red light comes out just fine in person as opposed to the video. The sun was in a favorable direction for everyone to see what was going on. Given how late she reacted to the crash, I would have to think she was looking at something, whether it was a phone, a map, a piece of paper, a book, her lipstick, the radio, etc. It seems like she only notice the problem once a big black Toyota Camry filled her peripheral vision. It would be great if the camera had the rear view of the driver and passenger, like many do, to see what they are doing. The passenger obviously wasn't paying attention to the driving either or he/she would have screamed long before that video ended.

Just a couple of idiots getting together is why that crash happened. I don't give anyone any passes on this one.

At least a bunch of people didn't die and get injured because she was asleep at the wheel of a commuter train.
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; December 3rd, 2013 at 10:17 PM.

I will offer my input from a risk and insurance perspective.

It is unfortunate that this occurred, however intersection collisions are the second most common crash type with rear-ends being the most common and therefore I would caution against crucifying a person for an accident without fully knowing the cause.

I believe I am a very safe driver, however three weeks ago, I was in another state, driving down a road I was not familiar with in the late evening (dark) and blew a stop sign that was situated in a way that was not apparently visible to me, not knowing I did so until I was in the middle of the intersection with one car coming but luckily turning onto the road I was on. I had to pull over and rest about 3 minutes for my nerves to fully recover as I could have killed others or myself if the circumstances were not in my favor that night.

This caution is not just in respect of a persons livelihood, but also the good of the employer. What happens if a terminated employee sues for wrongful termination? Is there a written employee handbook provided to all employees? Does this handbook specify the probationary period if any? Does this handbook cover the ways in which particular driving infractions/accidents can result in disciplinary actions or termination?

Tread lightly.

In regards to your insurance Blue, I don't feel as though you are going to have a huge burden in front of you, but this is dependent upon a few factors. From what you explained, you have been in operation for more than five years, of the most recent five you have been loss free. I do not know your vehicle count and cannot estimate premium volume to estimate a loss ratio. Since there was bodily injury involved, it could be likely that a reserve is kept open for three years so as to take into consideration the statute of limitations (attorneys like to file on exactly the last day possible before time runs out). I am not licensed in New Jersey so I cannot help you directly, but feel free to call me sometime if you'd like to discuss some of your concerns.

In response to some comments about others sharing responsibility, this is not the right way to look at this. Yes there are some states that parties involved can share in the fault, but this is not a situation where you can place blame on someone driving through an intersection nor the passenger--that passenger is paying to be transported safely. They have no duty or responsibility to pay attention to the operation of the vehicle in which they are traveling. It is easy to become an amateur accident re-constructionist, but all that we have to go on is a video; my advice is to let the operation that employs her conduct a thorough accident investigation and go from there. I bet that this driver will never treat intersections the same after this incident, therefore reducing the chance of this happening to her again.

Thanks for all your inputs, and thanks Phil. The passenger in the car who lives few blocks away from this accident location stated that many accidents happens at this intersection, at the same time thousands of people pass from this intersection everyday without getting hurt ... I have been through this intersection myself a good few hunderd times, and I never missed the light there.
    Our driver didn't get involved even in a "no fault" accident in last 25 years. How this happened, all I can say is "shit happens"
    ~D
    Last edited by bluelimos; December 4th, 2013 at 05:15 PM.

In somewhat related news, a metro transit bus hit a pedestrian last night on the interstate. The pedestrian was killed. The bus driver...it was her first day. Imagine what everyone around that incident has to be going through.

Like others have said, the collision you are dealing with could have been much, much worse.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

There are so many instances where people need to think about that BLVD, I always tell my wife that no matter how bad we think something is it could be SOOOO much worse!!

I forgot to mention this: at least you paid your insurance premium Blue and you have valid coverage. It shocks me at how there are some companies that take a lax approach to maintaining their insurance program. I used to think that it occurred mostly with smaller companies, but I was talking with a friend of mine last night that works for a firm that only works with the worlds largest transportation companies; he said that he has the same problems with his clients.

Could you imagine the nightmares you'd have should you not have had a valid policy for simply not paying your bill in a timely manner?

A potential signal of apathy on the limousine driver's part is the amount of time spent in the passing lane on a seemingly empty road. (I say 'potential' because obviously I only have the video to go from. If there was a left turn coming up, the road seemed empty enough to move over closer to the turn rather than all that time in the left lane. If there was a slower car in the right, I figured we would see at least one of the lane changes in that video because passing on the left shouldn't take the entire journey.)

My point is it seems folks that hang out in the left lane are more unaware and inconsiderate of their surroundings than the masses. That lesser awareness can also translate to lesser chances of accident avoidance, defensive driving or observance of signs, signals, and everything else going on around them. I've been a passenger with left lane apathetics and every one of those drivers has been quite oblivious to what is going on around them - scary. They are usually not speeders but accident avoidance is typically achieved by the more aware around them (in this case, everyone else that stopped in that intersection) without them ever knowing how close to an accident they almost caused. If the oblivious were also speeders, it would be highly unlikely to go any length of time without an accident as speeding would exacerbate the apathy - that's a disaster waiting to happen.

Agreed on the part of the driver blindly pulling out without looking both ways first like the rest did - another example of that lack of observance and awareness of surroundings. And as many said already, often times it takes two and they met in that intersection.
    Last edited by Cougars 2 go; December 6th, 2013 at 06:05 PM.