Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Big accident last month

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
    I do not believe the driver was texting while driving. If you position your mouse over the solid line while the vehicle is driving, it is relatively stright with a slight drifting which is nothing out of the ordinary. No driver could stay perfectly aligned between the lines.
    You are assuming that the suggestion is that she was texting the entire time of the video. She could have just happened to receive a text right when she was coming up to the intersection.

Quote Originally Posted by LGAL View Post
    Microsleep

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Example of an EEG alpha wave

Example of an EEG theta wave

A microsleep (MS) is a temporary episode of sleep which may last for a fraction of a second or up to thirty seconds where an individual fails to respond to some arbitrary sensory input.[1][2] MSs occur when an individual loses awareness and subsequently gains awareness after a brief lapse in consciousness, or when there are sudden shifts between states of wakefulness and sleep. In behavioral terms, MSs manifest as droopy eyes, slow eyelid-closure, and head nodding.[2] In electrical terms, microsleeps are often classified as a shift in electroencephalography (EEG) during which 47 Hz (theta wave) activity replaces the waking 813 Hz (alpha wave) background rhythm.[3]
    MSs often occur as a result of sleep deprivation, though normal non-sleep deprived individuals can also experience MSs during monotonous tasks.[4] Some experts define microsleep according to behavioral criteria (head nods, drooping eyelids, etc.), while others rely on EEG markers.[5] Since there are many ways to detect MSs in a variety of contexts there is little agreement on how best to identify and classify microsleep episodes.
    Microsleeps become extremely dangerous when they occur in situations that demand constant alertness, such as driving a motor vehicle or working with heavy machinery. People who experience microsleeps usually remain unaware of them, instead believing themselves to have been awake the whole time, or to have temporarily lost focus.[6]

Maybe this is what happened.

We'll never know for sure, but this is my bet.
    Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Limo Kings Limousine Service
    www.limokings.net

I can think of Micro sleep, but I don't think it was texting. We had a passenger in the car, and we are a bit of high end limo service so texting while passenger in the car is kind of very rude, plus passenger just got in the car 5 minutes prior the accident. I can't even say it was a micro sleep. In micro sleep, the car would fade off the road. The road is on the curve prior the light, I can't see that person's attention is somewhere else, and yet the car is still going steady in between the lines at the same time. Tell you honestly, I just DON'T KNOW HOW.........It could be just malfunction of attention towards the light, for once in last 25 years...

Quote Originally Posted by bluelimos View Post
    I can think of Micro sleep, but I don't think it was texting. We had a passenger in the car, and we are a bit of high end limo service so texting while passenger in the car is kind of very rude, plus passenger just got in the car 5 minutes prior the accident. I can't even say it was a micro sleep. In micro sleep, the car would fade off the road. The road is on the curve prior the light, I can't see that person's attention is somewhere else, and yet the car is still going steady in between the lines at the same time. Tell you honestly, I just DON'T KNOW HOW.........It could be just malfunction of attention towards the light, for once in last 25 years...
    I don't think you have ever told us what was her explanation for why she didn't see the red light or the cars moving into her path until a ridiculously late time??
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; December 11th, 2013 at 09:26 AM.

All this speculation........ You know why we pay for insurance? Because.....ACCIDENTS HAPPEN. We also own a 37 year-old auto body shop and if it wasn't for "accidents" we wouldn't be here. Have you ever slammed your finger in a door? Were you micro-sleeping? Were you texting? Have YOU EVER lost your train of thought? Driving a vehicle is dangerous. Every time you operate one you are at risk of hurting someone or being hurt. I don't think she was texting. I had the exact same accident happen at 5:20am. It was a long, long time ago and the case has long since been settled..so, I feel comfortable sharing that the driver called me at home moments after the crash and said, "I think I might have run the light but I'm not sure". I told him to NOT REPEAT THAT STATEMENT EVER AGAIN and I will be there in 20 minutes. He was T-boned in the intersection. In the end, she was found at fault and that's another story about why...... however, my driver had been with me for 8 years, never had an accident or incident before. I sent him for drug/alcohol testing. I had him cleared by a medical doctor to return to duty and I never ONCE thought about firing him. None of us are so perfect that we don't momentarily day-dream or "look at the grass on the side of the road". The bottom line is: SHIT HAPPENS!!! The chance of it happening to her again is HIGHLY DIMINISHED! Do you think SHE ever wants to repeat that day? She will never go through an intersection again in her life the same way. I know because I was T-boned in an intersection 25 years ago and have never ever entered one again EXPECTING that just because the light is red for cross-traffic that that will magically make me safe as I go through it. Don't dismiss a great driver for a momentary human error. We all make them!
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Scene View Post
    All this speculation........ You know why we pay for insurance? Because.....ACCIDENTS HAPPEN. We also own a 37 year-old auto body shop and if it wasn't for "accidents" we wouldn't be here. Have you ever slammed your finger in a door? Were you micro-sleeping? Were you texting? Have YOU EVER lost your train of thought? Driving a vehicle is dangerous. Every time you operate one you are at risk of hurting someone or being hurt. I don't think she was texting. I had the exact same accident happen at 5:20am. It was a long, long time ago and the case has long since been settled..so, I feel comfortable sharing that the driver called me at home moments after the crash and said, "I think I might have run the light but I'm not sure". I told him to NOT REPEAT THAT STATEMENT EVER AGAIN and I will be there in 20 minutes. He was T-boned in the intersection. In the end, she was found at fault and that's another story about why...... however, my driver had been with me for 8 years, never had an accident or incident before. I sent him for drug/alcohol testing. I had him cleared by a medical doctor to return to duty and I never ONCE thought about firing him. None of us are so perfect that we don't momentarily day-dream or "look at the grass on the side of the road". The bottom line is: SHIT HAPPENS!!! The chance of it happening to her again is HIGHLY DIMINISHED! Do you think SHE ever wants to repeat that day? She will never go through an intersection again in her life the same way. I know because I was T-boned in an intersection 25 years ago and have never ever entered one again EXPECTING that just because the light is red for cross-traffic that that will magically make me safe as I go through it. Don't dismiss a great driver for a momentary human error. We all make them!
    This is probably the greatest post I have read in this forum since Dean's passing. Thank you, Jim, for your insight into this situation. We all make mistakes. I think trying to analyze what happened is wasting time. Let the accident reconstruction team try to figure it out. That is what they are employed to do. Stop stressing and go back to running your company.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Awe, thanks Timmy! My mentor, Dean, would surely be proud of me for this too! RIP Dean Schuler. Now, let's get back to work and let the accident investigators and insurance people deal with it and put that gal back to work. She made a tragic mistake. Praise God no one lost their life. It's just a big puddle of spilled milk.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

I'm surprised the police didn't take her phone at the scene and look at it, I know that is something our local police do now at accident scenes.
    I want to die while asleep like my grandfather,
    not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

I got t-boned back in June by an 18 wheeler who ran a red light on a 55 MPH rural highway 2 miles from my house. This was about a week before July 4 and a fireworks stand had been set up on the corner. Three cars went ahead of me, one turned left, one turned right and another went straight through intersection. The fireworks stand was blocking my view back up the highway and went I got into the intersection the grill of the gravel hauler was about all I saw - I punched it and tried to get away and he turned left directly into my left rear door. Luckily I was in my S class and didn't get hurt. THe trooper wanted to know why the truck driver had run the light then turned into me and he flat didn't know. Very apologetic and Progressive (his insurance) took care of everything including $500 for my inconvenience and complete repair of the car.

My point is this: Accidents happen and from I saw of the video the car coming out of the intersection into your driver didn't see her coming. Your driver didn't see the warning sign or the red light, or the car pulling out of the cross street. But she was up front about it and didn't try to make excuses from everything I've read. Tough call but I'd probably put her back to work. Good luck with the investigation and insurance claim. They're never fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Wire View Post
    I'm surprised the police didn't take her phone at the scene and look at it, I know that is something our local police do now at accident scenes.
    I know I have seen some articles on the legality of that practice. Might be a good topic to cover with your drivers. I would not allow the police to view my phone with out a search warrant. talk about self incrimination.

http://gwinnett.patch.com/groups/spe...a-car-accident
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    I know I have seen some articles on the legality of that practice. Might be a good topic to cover with your drivers. I would not allow the police to view my phone with out a search warrant. talk about self incrimination.

http://gwinnett.patch.com/groups/spe...a-car-accident

Oh HELL no. No way are they getting phone info without a warrant.

The way I see it, if you were not on your phone at the time, go ahead and let them see it. This relieves any doubt. No harm no foul. Now on the other hand, if you were on your phone at the time, just man up and go ahead and admit it. Accept some responsibility. If you were actually at fault don't try to lie your way out of it. On another note, in Jim's case, the driver really wasn't sure, so no I would not admit to any fault there. And Blue, I would not fire her. Like someone else said, she will never make that mistake again. In my experience, once a chauffeur makes a major (or stupid) mistake, you never have to worry about that one any more. They are much more conscious of what they do from that point on.
    Jerry Thomas

Blue may not have a choice to keep her. Their insurance may not cover her any more and blue was worried about getting cancelled altogether. In any event their rates may go up and the car was totaled without coverage. Can they replace it? That's a lot for a small operator to absorb.

Blog Entries

We will have a Safety Training Seminar in January for our new drivers and our existing drivers. With the permission of the Insurance Company, you and your driver’s, would you be able to provide a full copy for our meeting.

Bill Gawenus
    Executive Shuttle Network, LLC
    205-913-1846