Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big accident last month

Default Big accident last month

So I had this, what we call the biggest fear of all. Our driver was on route 31 South in NJ at 55 MPH, missed the traffic light completely (which just changed from green to yellow and then red), and hit the oncoming vehicle that just started when they had the green light; at full speed at 55 MPH. I have an out bound looking camera that measures the speed and records all of that in my car, that is how I was able to track all this. My 2005 L series town car was done; I only had liability insurance on it. The driver and passenger both went to Emergency room and came back after a few hours. Driver's bill to emergency was about 3k which was taken care via workers comp, passenger's should be around 2k, which would be covered by vehicle insurance. On the other side, one vehicle was completely damaged, and there was one other small SUV that had good damage. No one from these other two vehicles went to emergency, but that may have changed later after the accident scene, I don't know about that.

This driver is in her 50s, and she never had any violation or accident in last 26 years. I haven't had any accident or loss runs in last 5 years, this one would be the biggest and I know I am going to get about 30-50k loss run on my record when everything settles up. After this accident, I was depressed for a week, and then slowly coming out of the pain of unknown future and realistic sadness after 3-4 weeks now. Our driver has recovered from the shock, and she is begging to come back stating she loves this job. This was a part time job for her and her full time job is still intact. I told her I need some time which I really do, I need to check with the insurance company if they are okay with such; they could very well deny me insurance next year. I do like the driver and how friendly and on time she is with passengers, she is very honest and easy to work with. She has been with us for only 4 months, no major mistakes and drives our Sedan Van and SUV, yet I am not able to digest this accident somehow. The Police officer issued her a ticket, and she was able to avoid the points so her license stands clean as far as points are concerned. Should I give a second chance? Will the insurance company give me a second chance? I was sad for a month and that has a good effect on work too; work has been very slow for a month now, but I plan to put more energy behind every phone call and change that a little bit, but I just can't think about what to do here, and how to see through this for future...

Sounds like it could have been much worse in terms of injuries or deaths given the size and speed of your car at impact.

Yes, it was bound to be worse if our car was delayed a little, or the other car was a little ahead, someone was to die for sure here, but thankfully no one did. I am grateful for that no one had major injuries, otherwise I wouldn't be able to continue this business anymore just with the thoughts of such accident.

Blue what was her in service time looking like at the time of th accident? How long she been on duty that day? She on any medication?

Seems like a prety big thing to miss. Does she give any explination for the lack of attention?
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

Does your camera record audio to know if she was distracted at the time by maybe conversation with the passenger?

Any indication or phone company records that would show if she was texting or doing something else with her cell phone at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Blue what was her in service time looking like at the time of th accident? How long she been on duty that day? She on any medication?

Seems like a prety big thing to miss. Does she give any explination for the lack of attention?
    She was off on Sat and Sunday, was out of town, probably back around 11pm or something. She had first trip at 6.30am, which was about 90 minute trip from our base to base( Actual trip was just 40 minute, additional 50 minute travel time to home and back to base ), and second trip at 9am which was about 45 minute away from our base. She picked up the passenger at 8.55am, and 5 minutes later, the accident...
    Passenger was not hurt, but just went to emergency for just in case reason. I can see the car from few minutes back, she was driving straight and not wavy. Yes, there is an audio in the, she wasn't distracted. I met her and passenger in the emergency room after the accident. Passenger was joking with me saying "car almost flew, it was on two wheels for a second, I don't need planes anymore"
    How she missed the light, its the mystery, specially when she has no accidents or violations in 25 years, and she drives to Boston, DC, and Toronto at least twice a year for her own thing. I hope the insurance company is not going to kill me when the renewal time comes.

So that doesn't rule out texting?

If I was considering hiring her again, I would want to know it was something like texting, because you can train out that problem. If she was focused on her driving without any distractions or any outside factors, then I wouldn't feel too comfortable knowing it was just a lack of brain power that caused the accident. You won't be able to train that problem out very easily.
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; December 2nd, 2013 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyLimo View Post
    So that doesn't rule out texting?

If I was considering hiring her again, I would want to know it was something like texting, because you can train out that problem. If she was focused on her driving without any distractions or any outside factors, then I wouldn't feel too comfortable knowing it was just a lack of brain power that caused the accident. You won't be able to train that problem out very easily.
    In my opinion if she was texting then I have no intentions of trainjng it out. That is something that should NEVER be done and she should know that. It is illegal while doing it in your own car. It is even worse while driving passengers and a company car!!! If texting was the reason I would never ever let her come back.

To be honest she has no excuse for that accident to have occurred. It was her fault and she ran a red light at 55 and could have killed many people. I see no reason to consider having her back. She may have become a friend but you are in the business of safe transport and making money. Not making friends and losing your company because of your friends mistakes. Imagine if you hire her back and she does this again. You will be ruined and I doubt you will be so lucky again.

Plus dont feel bad. It's her part time job not her only means of surviving. Its not like her family will be bankrupt.

Anyone who makes one if my vehicles "fly" at their own negligence won't be back.
    Last edited by cvclubs; December 2nd, 2013 at 09:30 AM.
    Nick Groat
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Nick@BellaVitaLimos.com
    Bella Vita Limousines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeYvI...ature=youtu.be here is the video link.

I don't think so she was texting. Passenger just got in the car, and she just took off. Also, in the past, she never used the phone without a blue tooth. I could be wrong, but i think I am right on that. What went wrong here, is a mystery. This is a sad event, and I plan to delete this video after a week...

Yet, I agree with Nick, if this is not texting, then something in her ability to make judgement while driving is not right. At the same time, she had no accidents in 25 years, and this happened. Well, time will show, for now, she is not with us...

Quote Originally Posted by bluelimos View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeYvI...ature=youtu.be here is the video link.

I don't think so she was texting. Passenger just got in the car, and she just took off. Also, in the past, she never used the phone without a blue tooth. I could be wrong, but i think I am right on that. What went wrong here, is a mystery. This is a sad event, and I plan to delete this video after a week...

Yet, I agree with Nick, if this is not texting, then something in her ability to make judgement while driving is not right. At the same time, she had no accidents in 25 years, and this happened. Well, time will show, for now, she is not with us...
    That video is very telling. What's strange is how she not only completely missed the fact that there was a stop light and it had turned red, but how she missed the fact that cars on both sides were heading into the intersection. And then when she did finally figure out that she was about to hit someone, I didn't see any attempt to hit the brakes hard, which is the only good option in this case because her other options were to hit oncoming traffic or a knife shaped concrete barrier to cut the car in two.

I'll tell you one thing about people that go a long time without an accident. It generally takes 2 people doing something stupid for an accident to happen. In your video, the other driver (that is not at fault), is stupid for pulling into such a high speed intersection without looking to make sure a 2 ton behemoth was not running a red light at full speed. So maybe your lady friend is a pretty sleepy driver in general, but she has been luck not to come across equally sleepy people in the past as she does something wrong. Maybe her luck ran out.

That guy in the blue SUV saw your car coming and stopped. Also, it looks like the car on the left stopped moving into the intersection as well. So the lady in the black is extra stupid for blindly going into the intersection while she had strong indicators that something wasn't right, but she did it.

If you watch the Russian videos on YouTube of car crashes, you see this situation constantly where it always takes two to make an accident. It's like a matter of pride for them to keep going at full speed even though someone is headed right at them.

In my long driving life, I have learned to drive like everyone is trying to kill you. You learn that quickly riding motorcycles. And I have avoided being hit like this because I don't trust that other cars will stop at stop lights or stop signs.

When you say she doesn't have any accident history, are you saying she has never been at fault in an accident, or she has never been in an accident period? I know lots of really bad drivers personally that find a way to do something stupid that causes an accident that isn't their fault. Usually women, sorry to say.

I would not hire her back based on this video.
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; December 2nd, 2013 at 02:56 PM.

By the way, what dash cam is that? It seems to be pretty good quality, and I am in the market for something like that for the kids in the family.

That video is only more of a reason not to have her back. She was completely oblivious to everything and there was no reaction to any of it. No way would I have that person behind the wheel of one of my vehicles.
    Nick Groat
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Nick@BellaVitaLimos.com
    Bella Vita Limousines

With her attention so limited, I think it would be dangerous to give her a second chance.
    Ozzie R

API Limousine - Ultra Limousine - California Limousine - Napa Valley Wine Tours

Our policy is if there is an injury accident involving a new driver and our driver is found at fault, the driver will not get a second chance.
    Dan Repass
    Celebrity & BOSS Limousine
    Lexington, KY
    859-255-LIMO
    www.255LIMO.COM

That video put me into a bit of highway hipnosis! That is a wierd strech like a freeway but with signals.
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com