Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air is blowing in the back but not hot enough (Chrysler 300 limousine) heating issue

Quote Originally Posted by LoneLimo View Post
    Hey guys if the temp gauge is dropping while he is driving it's not going to have anything to do with pumps bringing coolant to the back he said it's coming out just not warm enough and the heat gets cold up front as well which would have nothing to do with any pump for the rear. Things don't need to be all complicated, a ten dollar thermostat should take care of it if the previous owner didn't do other damage overheating the car too many times..
    It could be both though. So it's good to do the obvious, which the thermostat, and then check the pump if it has one.

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by LoneLimo View Post
    Hey guys if the temp gauge is dropping while he is driving it's not going to have anything to do with pumps bringing coolant to the back he said it's coming out just not warm enough and the heat gets cold up front as well which would have nothing to do with any pump for the rear. Things don't need to be all complicated, a ten dollar thermostat should take care of it if the previous owner didn't do other damage overheating the car too many times..
    Sorry, guess I should have read the thread a little more carefully. I agree it is most likely the thermostat.
    Dan Repass
    Celebrity & BOSS Limousine
    Lexington, KY
    859-255-LIMO
    www.255LIMO.COM

It's all good Dan we are all trying to help

UPDATE:

Ok so there was NO thermostat when we checked for it. I guess the previous owner removed the thermostat all together to deal with the overheating problem. Now we put the new thermostat in there, flush the coolant and replaced it with proper Chrysler specified coolant (60% coolant 40% water).

Everything looks good for now. The engine temperature is being monitored properly (no fluctuations so far). We also changed the upper and lower radiator hose pipes because they looked worn out as well.

Now the problem remains that the air in the back is still not hot enough. It blows fine, the air pressure is there but just not warm or hot enough. Its kind of mild. I was reading through the thread and someone mentioned that the heating hose that goes in the back might have a closed valve so need to get that checked out now.

Also I haven't been on a long enough run to judge the car properly so I am kind of worried about it overheating now that the thermostat is there. So slowly and surely I will be troubleshooting the car and will post updates here accordingly.

Once again thank you everyone for your suggestions. They are so helpful to someone like me who doesn't have much limousine maintenance/repair experience. You guys are the best!

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoLimousines View Post
    Ok so there was NO thermostat when we checked for it.

Now the problem remains that the air in the back is still not hot enough.

I am kind of worried about it overheating now that the thermostat is there.
    You're welcome.

The fact that someone would remove the thermostat is such a hack move, that you really should want to go through the entire car with a fine tooth comb. It's really bad for engines to be either too hot or too cold, so the fact that they would remove the thermostat means it wasn't a knowledgeable and/or caring mechanic working on the car. Even in equator-like climates, a car will run too cool at times with no thermostat (i.e. there is never a good excuse to take out the thermostat).

Many other things could be jerry-rigged throughout the vehicle, so consider this lack of thermostat as fair warning from the previous owner. I would specifically want to check for hack jobs they did electrically over their ownership that could burn the car to the ground. Did they replace a 5amp fuse with a 30amp or maybe pull another MacGyver and just use aluminum foil to make a "better" home made fuse that never blows.

On the plus side, now that you have the thermostat fixed, I am sure it won't be long before you find the cause of the poor hot water flow to the rear air boxes.
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; December 11th, 2013 at 10:03 PM.

Toronto, sounds like you and I both bought from the same guy! I have literally fixed about 20 "silly" easy fixes that the previous hacks didn't touch I believe because they just didn't know how to do anything themselves. Looks like you may have had both problems after all so hopefully that valve is off and turn it on and all is well!

I've got the same issue with the rear heat in one of my stretches just being luke warm. My newest limo came from south Florida. I was wondering if it even had heat in the back! I just need to take some time to dig into the car and make sure that the heater lines to the rear HVAC haven't been shut off.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC
    Andrew@VintageChauffeuring.com
    www.VintageChauffeuring.com

On my AC boxes, there is a sticker with check boxes that says "AC and Heat" or "AC Only." Mine has the AC and Heat checked. So I guess it's possible you don't have heat.

I found that same sticker on mine. Both are checked. But it was something I never even considered when I was shopping for a pre-owned limo. I lucked out this time. Although I don't think it would cost much to add heat if it wasn't equipped.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Limos View Post
    I found that same sticker on mine. Both are checked. But it was something I never even considered when I was shopping for a pre-owned limo. I lucked out this time. Although I don't think it would cost much to add heat if it wasn't equipped.
    I didn't think about it either when shopping, and we need heat here in Houston even if it's only for a few weeks out of the year.

If it didn't have heat, it would be a good effort to add all the plumbing for the water lines going through the firewall.

I would have to think the heater lines would run under the car to the rear. To be honest, I haven't had a lot of extra time to go under the car for any reason and this car hasn't given me any reason to yet. It heats up eventually but if the air was warm or hot, it would heat up a lot faster.

As far as not being a big issue, I was speaking from the standpoint of it being pretty basic as opposed to adding a/c to a car that was not equipped.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC

I've had mine all apart, and the heater lines go through the firewall and under the passenger seat to the partition area to feed the dual airboxes. They don't go under the car in any part, but yours could be entirely different.