Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air is blowing in the back but not hot enough (Chrysler 300 limousine) heating issue

Default Air is blowing in the back but not hot enough (Chrysler 300 limousine) heating issue

Hello,

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300 (Legendary coach builders). I got it from Florida and it's in Toronto now. Now the problem is that because of the Toronto weather we need to have proper heat during the winter and then AC during the summer time.

Now it's winter time and the air is blowing in the back but it's not hot enough. I have showed it to a few mechanics and they are still trying to figure out what the problem might be.

Also, I have noticed that driving on the highway for more than 30 mins makes the temp gauge goes down to cold. Maybe because the cold air is hitting the engine from the front and it cools down the engine and as the engine temp goes down so does the heat in the back. So weird.

Still not sure what the problem is. Any help or suggestions would be great. Anybody went through the same experience?

I don't know what to do? Please help.

For the second problem, that's an issue with the thermostat in the engine not controlling the coolant flow to the radiator. That's an easy one for a mechanic, so if they aren't figuring that out it's a red flag about them.

If the thermostat isn't doing it's job, you won't have hot enough water for the interior heater.

First thing I would do is replace the thermostat as well as get the coolant tested to be sure it's the correct mix. I just got my limo from California and they were running straight water! I also purchased a Firebird years ago from Florida and they had the heater houses going into the firewall bypassed because they never used heat down there. Not sure how the limo heater lines work but if your gauge is dropping usually it's a thermostat. Does the car have good heat up front?

Sure that was pure water? When I drained my limo, I thought it was pure water, but then I got the recommended Gold coolant from Ford and it looked like pure water, so I realize that it wasn't pure water in my car.

Good thing, because while nothing cools better than pure water, everything corrodes and there's no lube for the water pump.

Most people bypass the heater core because it's leaking. It's leaking in hot climates because they don't use the heater, so the coolant sits inside the heater core rotting away, especially since most people don't replace coolant at recommended intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneLimo View Post
    First thing I would do is replace the thermostat as well as get the coolant tested to be sure it's the correct mix. I just got my limo from California and they were running straight water! I also purchased a Firebird years ago from Florida and they had the heater houses going into the firewall bypassed because they never used heat down there. Not sure how the limo heater lines work but if your gauge is dropping usually it's a thermostat. Does the car have good heat up front?
    Yes the car has good heating up front but as the temp drops so does the hotness in the air that's blowing in the front as well. Haven't gotten the coolant tested, it can just be some water mix as California is kind of similar to Florida so they might be doing the same thing there!

I remember topping up the coolant a few times here but maybe there is still some water present in there. So you are recommending a coolant drain/flush before the thermostat replace or regardless of the coolant the thermostat has to get replaced?

Also, I remember when I bought the limo they did mention that sometimes it used to overheat so maybe because of that the thermostat broke?

Oh boy, a car should never overheat and who knows how many times they overheated it yikes! Not to scare you but I also purchased a Porsche down in Florida from a dealer and he had no gas in the car so we could only take a quick test drive. Get back and coolant on the ground. He said he would fix it because it was "not a big deal" so being young and dumb I paid him for the car and waited down there in a hotel for 3 days while he said it was getting fixed. Well turned out we got so tired of waiting we just went and got the car and shipped it home and of course it needed a head gasket and had a warped head I'm gonna make the assumption you purchased it from a dealer in Florida? Some very shady characters down there no doubt!

Being you are in the Tundra the first thing you need to do and I mean TODAY is get the coolant flushed and changed as if it's not the right mixture or they were also running water your entire cooling system and the block might freeze up and crack if it gets cold enough! And at the same time yes just do the thermostat. Hopefully that does the job but it's never a good thing if the car has been overheated. Being my previous business was a used car lot for 13 years I have seen almost everything! Good luck, let me know how it turns out.
    Last edited by LoneLimo; November 30th, 2013 at 07:16 AM.

Hmmm, if they were having problems with overheating, there's a chance they completely removed the thermostat as a way to improve cooling instead of solving whatever was the real problem. Never the right thing to do, but people do stupid things all the time like put pure water in the radiator.

And no, it shouldn't be pure antifreeze either, but a 50/50 mix with distilled water. Tap water has too many minerals. Either that or a pre diluted mix. Get what's recommended by the Chrysler.

Changing the coolant is not going to solve your heat problem. The thermostat very possibly will.

I had a 2005 300C for 7 years and even down here in Houston during some of the most brutal summers in history, it never overheated even a little bit. I used to tow with it as well, and still no overheating.
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; November 30th, 2013 at 08:01 AM.

Family, pretty sure mine was straight water, had no smell and I did the taste test with a dab on the finger. I did however find a can of bars leak in the trunk unopened that was purchased on the way to meet us and the receipt laying under the hood when I changed out the battery! I asked him what it was for after I found it and of course he did not respond back. It has 50/50 in it now and there has been no leaks and the heat works good. I did notice however I have some colorful residue (looks like a rainbow when I pull up in the dark and headlights shine) on each side of the rear bumper where both tail pipes are so it's obviously burning something but coolant level has never dropped since...Now the oil cooler lines are leaking at warm up so not sure if it's been burning oil, I switched to Mobil 1 so may go back to conventional to see if the leak stops as I doubt the cheap skates ran synthetic which I'm sure you probably know if you switch later it can start to leak.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneLimo View Post
    Family, pretty sure mine was straight water, had no smell and I did the taste test with a dab on the finger.
    That Gold stuff is weird. It doesn't feel or smell like the old school antifreeze that is either green or orange -- that stuff is thick, slippery, and sweet smelling. I didn't taste either variety, so I don't know about that part.

So if yours had Gold and it was diluted with water, it would have been really hard to detect. They didn't spec the Gold for your model year, but someone could have changed it with Gold previously.

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoLimousines View Post
    Hello,

I have a 2006 Chrysler 300 (Legendary coach builders). I got it from Florida and it's in Toronto now. Now the problem is that because of the Toronto weather we need to have proper heat during the winter and then AC during the summer time.

Now it's winter time and the air is blowing in the back but it's not hot enough. I have showed it to a few mechanics and they are still trying to figure out what the problem might be.

Also, I have noticed that driving on the highway for more than 30 mins makes the temp gauge goes down to cold. Maybe because the cold air is hitting the engine from the front and it cools down the engine and as the engine temp goes down so does the heat in the back. So weird.

Still not sure what the problem is. Any help or suggestions would be great. Anybody went through the same experience?

I don't know what to do? Please help.
    My 300 has a electric pump that pushes the coolant to the blowers in the rear, from my understanding the OEM system does not have enough pressure to push it all the way to the rear blower at the end of the J Seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite2RememberLimo View Post
    My 300 has a electric pump that pushes the coolant to the blowers in the rear, from my understanding the OEM system does not have enough pressure to push it all the way to the rear blower at the end of the J Seat.
    That pump is definitely something to check, and if it's not pumping that would explain why you get some heat in the rear, but not as much as the front. A missing or faulty thermostat would be the likely one for the low engine temp.

Ok thank you for all the suggestions.

First thing I'm gonna get the thermostat replace and then see if that makes a different. Not sure about the electric pump if my 300 has it or not? I should mention that the air does come out fine from the rear blowers just not hot enough. Air is still kind of warm in the back. It just might be the thermostat or maybe there is no electric pump to push the hot air all the way to the back.

These two things I'm gonna get checked out right way. Hopefully by Monday or Tuesday and I'm sure they will make a difference.

Check the heater hose under the hood. There should be an inline valve going to the rear of the car. If it is closed, you won't get heat in the rear. Make sure it is open.
    Dan Repass
    Celebrity & BOSS Limousine
    Lexington, KY
    859-255-LIMO
    www.255LIMO.COM

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoLimousines View Post
    Ok thank you for all the suggestions.

First thing I'm gonna get the thermostat replace and then see if that makes a different. Not sure about the electric pump if my 300 has it or not? I should mention that the air does come out fine from the rear blowers just not hot enough. Air is still kind of warm in the back. It just might be the thermostat or maybe there is no electric pump to push the hot air all the way to the back.

These two things I'm gonna get checked out right way. Hopefully by Monday or Tuesday and I'm sure they will make a difference.
    The pump pushes the coolant to the back blower not air.

Hey guys if the temp gauge is dropping while he is driving it's not going to have anything to do with pumps bringing coolant to the back he said it's coming out just not warm enough and the heat gets cold up front as well which would have nothing to do with any pump for the rear. Things don't need to be all complicated, a ten dollar thermostat should take care of it if the previous owner didn't do other damage overheating the car too many times..