Thread: LED Opera Light Repair

Default LED Opera Light Repair

Is anyone repairing their LED opera lights when they go out? I have the kind with the single LED at top that shines through a tube inside of a tube. They look ok when they work.

There are 2 problems though: 1) The LEDs burn out, which is strange when you think that most LEDs last longer than a human's lifespan and they aren't on 24 hour a day, and 2) the outside tube fills up with water and then condensation builds up making them look bad and the water takes forever to dry out (longer than the next rain that fills them up again).

So I bought a couple of new ones that looked identical, but the color was not quite the same (slightly less white/blue-ish light). At $15 a pop, I don't want to have to replace all 16 of them every time a bulb goes out to keep the light colors matching.

So I am doing two things. I bought a pack of 100 bright white lose 5mm LEDs from Amazon for $12, including shipping, and I am resoldering new LEDs to all of them by cutting off the little rubber boot that seals them in (not that it's doing it's job because water is getting in there anyway) and resealing with clear silicon sealant, and I am drilling drain holes at the bottom of the outer tube that you can't see when the chrome trim is applied to drain any water.

This way, for $12 I can renew all 16 of them, and if one goes out again, I can fix 84 of them individually before I run out of the same color LEDs. And the drain holes will take care of the condensation. So $12 instead of $240 is a lot better to me.
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; November 7th, 2013 at 09:06 AM.

Post some pictures !!

Ok, I will do this weekend. I just finished tonight removing and reinstalling the 84" limo windows with new seals, and the opera lights are on the list for the weekend.

I can tell you it's an easy fix. You can safely replace the bulbs and drill the drains without even removing the opera lights from the car.

Let me know if you have a resistor issue with the bulb replacement. I heard LEDs can burn out quicker with the wrong resistor.
    Phoenix Limo Service
    Party Bus rental
    Mirage Limo
    813 N Scottsdale Rd
    Scottsdale, AZ 85257