Thread: Resealing the limo windows

Default Resealing the limo windows

So I just had the window tint redone on the long limo windows (I have single glass on my 100") because the tint became streaky from old age and sun exposure. The tint looks great now, but the re-tint operation exposed another problem: The rubber seals that hold in the long windows in are dried up and are ripping where they meet the glass.

Where should I go to get these seals replaced? These types of window mountings are common from old cars, but I would imagine there aren't too many places that do this type of work anymore since glass is glued into cars these days. I Suggestions on types of places to call would be appreciated?
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; November 4th, 2013 at 03:12 PM.

Thanks. I called MTG and they don't have the rubbers in stock, and they don't have a plan at this point to get them back in stock. But they were kind enough to point me to their competitor that does have them in stock, and at a lower price, so they have been ordered:

http://limoparts.infiniteinnovations...weatherstrips?

Any ideas where I could have this work done? I am a little worried about breaking the glass since I won't have very skilled workers to help me. It should be an easy operation for those that do it for a living, if I can find them. Just not even sure what to google.

I just realized -- this replacement window seal is sold by the foot. But looking at my existing windows, the seals appear custom bent around the corners. Looking at YouTube videos, it looks like the seals are custom fit for other older cars that use this method. How's that straight length going to work around a 90 degree bend? Has anyone here done it to confirm it will work?
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; November 4th, 2013 at 05:35 PM.

Blog Entries

You can do this your self very easily. You need to order the bead tool from MTG. It will allow you to reinsert the silver lock in place. Second, as seen on TV, you will need to two white handles that lock onto the bathroom shower to assist you getting in and out of the shower. Lock these onto the outside of the glass. Do not remove these until the job is complete. You may crack the glass if you try to re-attach them later.

You will also need two people to lift out and reinstall the glass.

As for the 90 degree bend, just use a paint heat gun to help you bent the rubber gasket.

You need to do this in temperatures above 80 degrees. This is to allow the rubber gasket to press into place easier. Don’t forget the silicon spray to help you install the glass into the roof line. Do not use WD40.

Finally, when the rubber seam meets, then and only then cut the excess gasket in a straight line.

Thanks Billy Bob -- great info!

I am planning on getting 2 of these suction tools and this bead tool. Do you think they are ok? My windows are 85" by 18" and they don't seem that thick to be so heavy, and the suction cup handles are rated to 200lbs each.

http://www.amazon.com/FastCap-HOD-DO...pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-47000-Wi...cm_wl_huc_item

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; November 8th, 2013 at 09:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Wrong Window Tool. You have to purchase it from MTG. It allows the locking bead to be inserted easily. It spreads apart the gasket and allows the silver strip to be held firmly in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
    Wrong Window Tool. You have to purchase it from MTG. It allows the locking bead to be inserted easily. It spreads apart the gasket and allows the silver strip to be held firmly in place.
    Thanks.

Mine uses the flexibly black rubber strip instead of the chrome. But in any case, after watching 10 YouTube videos, it doesn't look like I will need any tool for that part of the job, because everyone puts the bead into the window rubber before putting the window in the car. So with the rubber sitting lose, it will be very easy to put the bead in by hand. I pulled out a bunch of the bead out while the window was in the car recently to check for a leak, and I was able to put about 8 feet of the bead back in easily with a little soapy water and a spatula-like thingy for removing interior pieces.

I am think I will be ready for the job when all the supplies show up at the end of the week.

Ok, this job is done, and there are no leaks (tested with a water hose).

My dad helped me, and it wasn't quick job. About 5 hours for both sides when you include our trial and error and head scratching to get the first one done.

I tried to do it like all the youtube videos. Didn't work. I don't think the seal is as soft and in the same proportions as these other cars like VM bugs and old Chevy pickups.

The youtube videos show putting the seal on the window first, putting a rope around the seal, holding the window up against the opening (with the seal on it), and then pulling the rope to move the seal over the lip.

Sounds easy, right?

Try as we may, it was not working using this method. Getting such a large window lined up left to right wasn't happening. And the seal is too strong to be pulled around the corners with the rope.

So, instead, we put the seal in the opening first, then used soapy water, put the window up against the seal, and then I used the special rubber seal picking tool to move the seal around the glass. It's finicky, but it worked great. After farting around for 3 hours+ trying to do the first window in different ways, the second window was in start to finish in and out in about an hour.

And I was totally wrong about not needing a bead setting tool like I mentioned above. But I was right that the tool I ordered from Amazon was perfect for the job. With soapy water, the new bead went right in without any problem with the tool. It didn't look like there was any way a bead was going in there after getting the glass seated, but it went in just fine.

I am very glad this job is done. It was one that I knew needed to be done because the original seals were dry enough that they were starting to leak in the corners, but then it became a crisis with the tint people nearly popped them out when they did their work.

Thanks for the help Billy Bob.

I hope my extra description of doing the job helps someone else.

Oh, I wouldn't try to do the job without that special windshield rubber picking tool that I bought from Amazon. It's curved and shaped just right for working on these window seals.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; November 8th, 2013 at 10:24 PM.