Thread: Fixing the led back lighting of the passenger limo touch panel

Default Fixing the led back lighting of the passenger limo touch panel

Since I got my limo earlier this year, the limotouch panel in the passenger compartment did not light up when you started the car. You had to press the light button on the bottom left to select from green, red, or white. And occasionally it would flicker on a 4th setting.

Well, it turns out that flickering setting was really my default setting. It's a blue color. That's the color that is supposed to come on when you turn on the car, and then if you want another color, you can select it. Because that's the default setting, the 2 blue LEDs had basically failed from regular use. One had failed permanently, and the other would be either completely dead, or flicker.

Before finding out the cause, it seemed like it could be a serious problem, and when combined with the unreliability of a couple of the buttons (see my other thread) it seemed like a shipment to MTG was needed, but it was not.

For this problem, I just need to replace the two blue LEDs. I will go buy some at Fry's tomorrow. I have already tested with a spare white LED that the power to the LED's on the circuit board is fine. I unsoldered the bad ones already, so the new ones will go in easy.

That's another of many problems solved. This was actually a big one because passengers couldn't see the panel at night to even know where the button was to change the color to a set that worked so they could see the panel. I would try to remember when I started the car to go back there and select a working color for them, but I would forget about half the time, and even though it's friends and family, they always seemed confused.

On a side note, I really wish that EVERY control the passengers have for the limo section and radio had duplicate controls for me in the front. My parents and their friends can't figure anything out with this limo, especially the cryptic head unit. Even the kids struggle, so it would be nice for me to have full control. I don't know how you guys put up with new passengers always fumbling around back there. It must be frustrating for both sides.

photo 1.jpg
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; November 2nd, 2013 at 09:46 PM.

Senior Member Excalibur Limousine's Avatar

FamilyLimo,
    Our drivers are instructed to guide all of our clients through the use of the overhead controls once loaded in our limos. Volume and the input source button on the stereo and general operation of the limo controls in the back heat/ac, lighting, etc. It seems to eliminate most of the problems with the system for the couple of minutes of guidance.
    Excalibur Limousine Service
    'Delivering on Service'

Lincoln TC Exec L
    Ford Expedition
    Lincoln TC 85" Stretch - Krystal 85R3
    Lincoln TC 120" Super Stretch - Krystal 120V5 & ECB
    Ford Excursion 140" Stretch - Krystal & ECB
    Ford E450 Limo Coach - Krystal KK28
    Ford F550 Limo Coach - Krystal KK33

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur Limousine View Post
    FamilyLimo,
    Our drivers are instructed to guide all of our clients through the use of the overhead controls once loaded in our limos. Volume and the input source button on the stereo and general operation of the limo controls in the back heat/ac, lighting, etc. It seems to eliminate most of the problems with the system for the couple of minutes of guidance.

My panel lighting is completely fixed. Got the new LEDs in there, and they are perfect. The panel is now lit all the time. The new LEDs turned out to be just the right brightness -- not too dark or too bright. The green ones that came in the unit are very bright, and the red ones are too dark. The white is ugly. So it worked out great.

As far as instructing the passengers, I don't see how that works all the time for you. Some people just aren't going to comprehend the controls right away, some are going to want to get on with their ride and talking with their people and not spending their quality time going through instructions with a driver, or they are going to forget several hours later what you told them after you are pick them up and they have had more than a few drinks in them. And then there is the issue of who you train in a big party -- all of them?? There's no guarantee of who is going to be sitting next to the control panels as they get out of the car and back in. If the limo is loaded and the one person that knows how to use the panels is in the front, it's a major ordeal for them to move to a crowded rear seat to get into position to control the panel.

I even made a 2 page instruction manual (one for the radio, and one for the limotouch) with pictures and arrows and simple instructions that I put back there. No one really seems to want to read a manual, but they don't have any problem pressing all the buttons on the radio and completely messing up the settings that I can't fix for them until I get back there at another stop. And even my tech savvy kids that have been given lessons many times forget a week later, and I get the "Dad, the radio's not working right, or it's cold/hot in here."

Oh well, just a rant, as I am not going to go to the effort to solve the problem. I could hook up an IR repeater to make the radio remote control work in the driver's space, and I bet you can buy a duplicate control panel and wire it in to the front, but not going to go that far for my personal needs. If it were a working vehicle, I would do it.

Just an update, that a week and a half later, and my rear panel is working like brand new! The LED back lighting is better than factory, and the buttons never miss a touch. What a relief. It's such a pain when those buttons don't work right, and you can't see the panel properly.

I am install a subwoofer and an Apple TV in the car this weekend.