Thread: Looking to get started with one 6 pack- advice appreciated

Default Looking to get started with one 6 pack- advice appreciated

Hey all!

I just joined and I'm in the process of finding the right car for what I am looking to do. I was in the car business for 13 years and burnt out on it and decided I am looking to buy one 6 pack limo to use like a "taxi" type service but of course it will be Livery and booked in advance. I learned from being in the car business that more overhead is never the answer so I want to run a business with as low of overhead possible thus I will be paying cash for the car and be the driver. I am in an outskirt town but there are about 4 million tourists a year so would look to do local runs to all the hot spots priced only slightly more than a cab as well as airport runs that from my calculations would make about $200 after fuel and my own time of about 4 hours. Do that run a couple times a week along with my local trips it seems some money could be made if I get my name out there I think it could be a pretty good gig. I am not looking to get rich, just enjoy what I'm doing while making people on vacation happy. Any advice would be appreciated. I think it's a great idea but the economy does kinda seem in the crapper right now.
    Last edited by LoneLimo; September 23rd, 2013 at 09:30 PM.

Does anyone come on this forum? Noticed many introduce themselves and zero replies/welcomes. Is that a sign where the business has gone? Doesn't matter to me I'm ready to do this!

This forum has maybe 10% of the activity it used to have. It's disappointing. don't know why. My advice is if you are only going to do taxi style work, like airport transfers, the six pack will work, but it will be too small for everything else. There was a guy on here a few years ago who bought a eight pak for airport transfers. He tried doing other work and found out it was too small, ended up going out of business. In my opinion the best vehicle for a small operator (like myself) is a 140 inch stretch SUV. Not only does it have room for luggage, but it will hold up to 14 people, making it much more versatile. However, it would be overkill for 1 or 2 passengers. Good luck, it's tough to make money in this economy, but it can be done.

Blog Entries

Welcome Lone Limo... This web site had a glich that scared a lot of people off, but it is still active with a lot of information in back threads. We run 6 passengers without any problem, the only issue is Luggage space at times. What Part of the world do you hale from? Maybe we can affiliate up.
    Badger State Limousine Service
    "When nothing less than perfection will do"
    (414)-GO-GO-RED (414)-464-6733
    www. BADGERSTATELIMO.com

http://www.Badgerstatelimo.com
    http://www.MILWAUKEEWISCONSINLIMO.com

Thanks for the response excaliber. Yeah I figured that is what was going on. I really don't want a huge vehicle as I would be "specializing" in something that gets people from a to b considering the tourists will need rides and why flag a cab if you can ride in style for not much more? I'm gonna give it a whirl, if I can't make enough to pay the insurance and put fuel in the car plus turn some profit then yes not the right business.

Hello MrQ45, that's a cool ride! We just moved to the south from good ole Minnesnowta so I guess we were neighbors! I'm keeping my exact location private until I'm up and running as it's a rather unique idea around here. Do you run an hourly rate or? I am thinking set price for certain runs and hourly for those who want to enjoy themselves and have the limo there waiting while they go have dinner/drinks or do their tourist things etc. How do you have your 6 pack insured? Hope I'm not being too intrusive, just input from anyone who has been/is in the business is appreciated. Thanks again!

Blog Entries

We usually run Hourly rates and Flat transfer fee's. We insure all our vehicles as Livery. No worries good luck to you where ever you are.
    Badger State Limousine Service
    "When nothing less than perfection will do"
    (414)-GO-GO-RED (414)-464-6733
    www. BADGERSTATELIMO.com

http://www.Badgerstatelimo.com
    http://www.MILWAUKEEWISCONSINLIMO.com

Quote Originally Posted by MrQ45Limo View Post
    This web site had a glich
    There is quite a difference between having a "glitch" and being hacked, which is in fact, the case of this forum. Yes it is STILL hacked, just for a few months now, the page the hack loads into these pages, is dead, so you don't notice it. For almost a year, the hack was delivering malicious content into every page here, which is why google started warning people against coming to the site for a long time. Then there is also the opinion of some that the owners of the forum really do not care about it anymore.

But as mentioned, even with current participation down, there is tons of timeless advise on starting out in the older posts here. I find it rare to see a new persons question not already asked over the 10 years I have been here. Still loads of value here
    Last edited by Greg K; September 25th, 2013 at 01:14 AM.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Thanks all, I see from reading through older posts the limo biz is a lot like the car biz, it's hard to stay away from! I like to read those things as really looking forward to getting this going!

Default Search: Newbie

Do as the subject implies.
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Celebrating 9 years of superior service to the Charlotte, NC market. Serving corporate and individual clients with sedans, vans and limousines.

When starting with a six-pack, I like to make sure they are appropriately chilled. Having a fat-laden meat product, such as a hot dog or a brat, to enjoy with the six-pack is highly recommended. If your six-pack comes in one of those plastic ring holders, please cut out all the rings so no unfortunate little creature is able to get stuck in a ring. Grab one, pop the top, sit back and ENJOY! This is also good advice when reading through the forum.
    Last edited by BLVD Limo; September 30th, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Great advice BLVD, It's much appreciated! The only thing I got out of it though was the plastic ring holder, I once had to save a poor Mallard from it's untimely demise by removing the plastic ring from it's neck! Thanks for the reminder I can only hope that duck is living a happy life on the pond for many years to come

Just a little humor. The one thing I can say is that it seems that once you get a particular size vehicle, it isn't big enough. And that goes with both sides of the business, corporate and retail. Get an 8 pax limo and you have groups of 10 or 12 calling. Get a 6 pass SUV and groups of 9 start calling.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Humor is always good I know what you are saying about getting the calls and needing more room. I am not looking to do big events, mainly couples and airport runs and sight seeing tours to certain attractions in the area and surrounding areas. There are many and I would have set prices for each run as well as hourly if they want me to wait while they do whatever. It's kind of a more unique situation where I am and I am thinking outside the box to make this work and be a more unique service for my area.