Thread: LimoTouch -- buttons not always responsive

Default LimoTouch -- buttons not always responsive

On this LimoTouch panel, only a couple of buttons are not responsive always. Sometimes they are fine, other times, you have to tap them 20 times before they start working. Sometimes if you tap on a working button, the non-responsive buttons start working. The ones that are problematic are the panel backlight button, and the temperature lowering button.

Once they start working, they are fine, so I don't think fuses are bad.

Anyone have this problem before, and/or found a solution?

Limo 4.jpg

Blog Entries

First, disconnect your front control panel. Then test your rear panel. Unplug it from the main control panel. Your second test is to swap positions of the plug. See if this works. The panels send code to the controller, the same way a computer keyboard sends characters to the system.

You are more likely to have an issue with the front rather than the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
    First, disconnect your front control panel. Then test your rear panel. Unplug it from the main control panel. Your second test is to swap positions of the plug. See if this works. The panels send code to the controller, the same way a computer keyboard sends characters to the system.

You are more likely to have an issue with the front rather than the rear.
    Great info, Billy Bob! I will try that when I get the car back from the paint shop (some lingering minor paint issues that my OCD just couldn't let go).

On the front panel, it works great except for the partition up button. When I push and hold that button to raise the partition, 9 times out of 10 it will raise the partition to the top, then when I let go of the button, it will bring the panel back down and the whole system with reset itself. The driver's down button always works fine.

The partition buttons in the back work without issue.

Do you think this quirkiness with the driver's partition up button could be related?

Blog Entries

Just to be on the safe side. Check the condition of your backup battery. It must be in top shape. Older than three years, replace it. I believe it is a Lexus Gel Battery. Also, you should have two 50 AMP Fuses located on the passenger side of the engine. Look for discoloration of the wiring or the fuse itself. The fuse should be tight in the holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
    Just to be on the safe side. Check the condition of your backup battery. It must be in top shape. Older than three years, replace it. I believe it is a Lexus Gel Battery. Also, you should have two 50 AMP Fuses located on the passenger side of the engine. Look for discoloration of the wiring or the fuse itself. The fuse should be tight in the holder.
    By backup battery, do you mean the second battery for the limo section, or is there a battery in the computer box for the limo like on a PC motherboard? I replaced the second battery that was located under the stock battery with an Autozone Gold battery about 4 months ago.

I did notice discoloration on one of those 50amp fuses on the passenger wheel fender. So I will replace that too.

Great info again, Billy Bob!
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; August 15th, 2013 at 09:38 PM.

Your controls need updating, software and possibly capacitors. I have had this problem, MTG will update and replace capacitors if needed for a nominal fee. Give them a call, you will have to remove the front and rear panels along with the main CPU and ship it to them.

Modern Technologies Group, Inc.
    3 Reeves Station Rd
    Medford, NJ 08055-9630
    Toll-Free Number: (800) 362-6224
    Local Line: (609) 714-8900
    Fax Number: (609)714-8985

Quote Originally Posted by Nite2RememberLimo View Post
    Your controls need updating, software and possibly capacitors. I have had this problem, MTG will update and replace capacitors if needed for a nominal fee. Give them a call, you will have to remove the front and rear panels along with the main CPU and ship it to them.

Modern Technologies Group, Inc.
    3 Reeves Station Rd
    Medford, NJ 08055-9630
    Toll-Free Number: (800) 362-6224
    Local Line: (609) 714-8900
    Fax Number: (609)714-8985
    Great info also, Nite!

I guess I'll be pulling all that stuff out to send for repairs soon.

Hi Family Limo,

Have you gotten anywhere with your Tiffany control panel?? I seem to have pretty similar issues with my Tiffany. My control panels are exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by RajCanada View Post
    Hi Family Limo,

Have you gotten anywhere with your Tiffany control panel?? I seem to have pretty similar issues with my Tiffany. My control panels are exactly the same.
    No, because I had the limo in the paint shop getting some areas touched up and it took forever to get it back. Now I just want to be able to use it for a while before I tear it apart again. It's a major job to pull the dash unit, CPU, and the rear panel.

Not looking forward to doing that, so considering the problem falls into the category of a minor inconvenience, it might be a while before I fix it. If it were a commercial limo, I would fix it asap since it will confuse the passengers every time. I always have someone riding back there that knows how to work around the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by RajCanada View Post
    Hi Family Limo,

Well, I think I may have found the problem. I will do some testing tomorrow to know for sure, but it looks like the circuit board that is touch-sensitive has warped away from the Plexiglas-like front panel so that it can't pick up the button presses. It sits flat together in the areas that the buttons do work reliably.

If this really is the problem, it's an easy fix to put a support of some kind behind the board to keep the two pressed together.

photo 4.jpg

So putting a spacer to hold the board to the plexigass seems to have worked. All the buttons are perfectly responsive now. It makes sense that an air gap would cause the problem because the board that picks up the capacitive touch can't do that through the air. And it makes sense that the buttons would work some times and not others because the temperature changes cause the boards to move closer and further apart. Pressing harder didn't help because you can see that the plexiglass is pretty thick and won't bend easily.

I just loosened the screws of the metal frame, put a slice of rubber that I pulled off of the front door trim in another project, and then tightened down the screws again. Nice free and easy fix as opposed to sending the panel to MTG for $200 to $500 repair/replacement (according to Rachel at MTG) and extra down time.

I believe the problem was created over time from the heat in the vehicle from sitting in the sun causing the slight warping of the plastics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; November 3rd, 2013 at 03:44 PM.