Thread: Squeak only when accelerating straight or on left turns

Default Squeak only when accelerating straight or on left turns

One of my few remaining projects bringing this 06 LTC back up is to find out what is causing a very annoying squeak in the front of the car.

The squeak is a metal on metal squeak, and here's the unusual part: It only makes the noise while accelerating either in a straight line or turning left and then hitting any road imperfections (just the expansion joints are enough to cause the blood curdling and very undignified squeak).

If the car is turning to the right, no squeaks at all.

If I am coasting or braking, no matter how big the road imperfections, no squeaks at all.

It sounds like it's coming from the transmission/cross-member area, but I couldn't see anything that could rub.

Any ideas, or has anyone had the same problem before? It's a Tiffany 100" stretch with 110K miles. It lived all it's life in Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Phoenix, so there is no rust.

Thanks!
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; July 30th, 2013 at 08:17 PM.

Are the ball joints in good condition?

Control arm bushings and shocks.

Thanks for the replies!

I changed the shocks for factory new ones with new springs from Coil Spring Specialty about 2 months ago, and it didn't make a difference in the noise. While I had the suspension apart, the ball joints felt nice and tight -- like new. No binding, grinding, or looseness. I was not expecting that for a car with 110K miles.

If it's the control arm bushings, why would it do it only while accelerating? It absolutely will not make the noise unless I am on the gas accelerating. Maintaining speed with the gas pedal does not do it -- I have to be accelerating. And I have to be turning left or going straight. It seems like the control arm bushing would make a noise all the time, even when bouncing the car up and down while stationary on the driveway.

Sounds like you checked it out, only other thing I could suggest would be a possible body seam squeak where the front is joined to the coach. Have you gotten under it and checked the welds for cracks? Also look at the floor behind the front seats for stress cracks where its welded to the coach floor board.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite2RememberLimo View Post
    Sounds like you checked it out, only other thing I could suggest would be a possible body seam squeak where the front is joined to the coach. Have you gotten under it and checked the welds for cracks? Also look at the floor behind the front seats for stress cracks where its welded to the coach floor board.
    Great suggestions! I never thought to check those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite2RememberLimo View Post
    I am back on the hunt to find the source of this squeak. It's really the only thing that is annoying me about the car. That's a testament to how far this limo has come since a year ago when they unloaded it off the transport and nothing worked and everything needed attention.

While looking for loose items that could cause the squeak under the car, I did find plenty of bolts that needed tightening. Those bolts did fix some other rattles that weren't so noticeable, but the squeak just won't go away. I found suspiciously bent body mounting bolts and re-straightened them and torqued them down. They weren't the problem.

I checked the welds, and everything looks clean and tight. The car is still like new underneath. It's extremely clean from being a Los Angeles and Vegas car.

The engine and transmission mounts are solid and look fine. I am thinking it has to be a body squeak of some kind, but I can't see where there is even anything to rub. There's lots of clearance between everything that could rub.

I wish I could find a way to duplicate the noise while the car is stationary. The fact that it only does it while going straight or turning left under acceleration is maddening.

From inside the car it sounds like it's coming from inside the car around the front floors or under the dash, but then when you stick your head out the window, you can hear it like it's coming from outside the car on the passenger side around the passenger floor board area. But you can't pinpoint where.
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; February 24th, 2014 at 07:45 PM.

Wheel bearing.

Jack up the front and rock the wheels by hand. One will move a lot more than the other.

Fix it quick, or the next sound change will be your frame grinding on the highway while your wheel takes off into oncoming traffic.
    Dave H.
    LA Limousines
    Victoria BC, Canada
    North America Toll Free 888 933-5466

Quote Originally Posted by LA Limousines (David) View Post
    Wheel bearing.

Jack up the front and rock the wheels by hand. One will move a lot more than the other.

Fix it quick, or the next sound change will be your frame grinding on the highway while your wheel takes off into oncoming traffic.
    I know wheel bearings change in noise depending on whether you are turning left, right, or going straight, but this noise will only happen if you are accelerating and you are going over bumps while turning left or going straight.

So if I let off the gas, or keep the gas pedal at level that will maintain speed, I will not get a the squeak regardless of how I am turning or if I hit any bumps.

I don't know why a wheel bearing would be tied to acceleration, direction, and bumps in the road. I have only every seen them be sensitive to direction.

Plus, when I changed out the front shocks and springs last year, I checked the wheel bearings as well as all of the bushings and ball joints and they were nice and tight. The noise was there when I got the car months prior to doing the suspension work.

This noise really sounds more like larger metal on metal squeaking together as opposed to a grinding noise a bad bearing would make.

I tried loading the chassis as if it was twisting from the torque of the engine by using a jack on the left and then right side of the frame in front of the rear wheel, and then I bounced the front of the car up and down. Nothing. No noises at all except for the windshield washer fluid sloshing around (surprisingly loudly).

This is definitely a very vexing squeak! If I can't reproduce it in the driveway, it's going to be very hard to find.
    Last edited by FamilyLimo; March 4th, 2014 at 09:01 PM.

See if the exhaust or body is coming in contact with the drive shaft.
    Dave H.
    LA Limousines
    Victoria BC, Canada
    North America Toll Free 888 933-5466

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Check that the body mounts are all good. Also, hood pins or steering stops (steering stops most common).
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Hello all,

we have the same problem. I think problem is in front suspension (ball joints). So please help me.
    Where can i buy parts for limousine?

We are from Europe so for us is quite difficult to find parts.

Thank you very much!

Jakub

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php They ship to Europe and you can set the prices to euros.