Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arrgghh. No power to the back 99 Krystal TC 120

Ok. Just came back in from trying to get the 2nd battery out. The one behind the bumper. MAN, that thing is at an awkward angle. I tried laying on my back and looking up at it but I felt uncomfortable at that angle. Im gonna try it again tomorrow, jack it up, and take the tire off so I can get a better angle. Right now I just turned the tire allthe way to the right and amlaying under the front bumper.

Oh yeah the battery looks like the original one lol. Ill know more once i get that sucker out

Let me tell you what happened on our last 2003 TC. We had lights dimming all the time loosing power to the back, stop light or not. We checked both batteries and they read Good voltage. We checked alternator and it looked like it was dying. We sold the car, told the buyer about it. He had it checked and said that the small 2nd battery shorted out didnt keep juice (when we checked it was showing fine), and that shorted about first battery. Guy changed both batteries and saved a little on the new alternator that he didnt have to change.

So it was a bad 2nd battery that shorted out main battery.

Also, try to see if the battery terminals are clean.

Also, you may have a ground problem. A lot of electronic issues start with a ground.

If you windows dont roll up, try checking if the switch doesnt get stock. A lot of TC have that problem - all years.
    --------------------------------

Member Limo Padawan

Just amke things simple and you'll thank yourself later.. fork over the $300 and buy 2 new batteries, and get both alternators rebuilt.

it will be paid for with one limo run

Originally posted by J Paul White:
    Oh yeah the battery looks like the original one lol. Ill know more once i get that sucker out
    Another Fool trying to make it in this business...
    http://www.profilelimousine.net

Identical symptoms monday in my 2000 ECB 120- big problem since I sold it thursday and fly in buyer was picking up in 2 hrs. Circuit board had 1/3 of LEDs lit. We tested 2nd batt by holding BATT switch down- still no juice. Replaced small battery- its a lawn tractor battery- $27.00 at Advance Auto. Problem solved- thanks to Ray at ECB Orlando on another fine save!

All,
    Bought new 2nd alternator and battery. Problem fixed. I got me a new window regulator off eBay and put it on too. Everythings working great now. Thanks for all your help folks.

Several weeks ago, on a multi-hour run, after cutting the car off, I've lost power to the rear on a Krystal on restarting. Hitting the aux battery switch on the driver console immediately restored power. Can someone tell me exactly what problem is waiting to happen?

Originally posted by J Paul White:
    Well,
    Jumped in the stretch tonight. Turned on the power to the back. I can hear the inverter for the neon lights come on, but NOTHING in the back comes on. The inverter for the neon lights sits right behind the front seat and from looking at the circuit board it probably runs off a different circuit than the rest of the back. Power has been working FINE up until that moment.

Then I turned off all the switches for the individual circuits to the back (While leaving the main power on) then turned them back on one by one. The first one I turned on was the solid. Once I turned it on it worked. Then I tried the rest one by one and they all came on. I then got out of the car to try to get my drivers side front power window up (Its stuck halfway down...I can fix that though, trying to get this power to the back fixed first) and when I jumped back in everything was off again. I tried turning them off and on one by one, but this time they didnt come back on and I still have no power to the back.

Anyone have any hints? It looks like power is getting to the circuit board but it cant get past the circuit board. One thing I would like to add is that when I got in the car I heard one of the relays clicking. I hit it with a screwdriver a couple of times and it stopped clicking. I checked a wiring diagram I found for 99-02 Krystals and it says thats the cabin relay.

Shold I try switching it out? Or are these the symptoms of a short somewhere?
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Celebrating 9 years of superior service to the Charlotte, NC market. Serving corporate and individual clients with sedans, vans and limousines.

Originally posted by wimpy01:
    Several weeks ago, on a multi-hour run, after cutting the car off, I've lost power to the rear on a Krystal on restarting. Hitting the aux battery switch on the driver console immediately restored power. Can someone tell me exactly what problem is waiting to happen?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Paul White:
    Well,
    Jumped in the stretch tonight. Turned on the power to the back. I can hear the inverter for the neon lights come on, but NOTHING in the back comes on. The inverter for the neon lights sits right behind the front seat and from looking at the circuit board it probably runs off a different circuit than the rest of the back. Power has been working FINE up until that moment.

Then I turned off all the switches for the individual circuits to the back (While leaving the main power on) then turned them back on one by one. The first one I turned on was the solid. Once I turned it on it worked. Then I tried the rest one by one and they all came on. I then got out of the car to try to get my drivers side front power window up (Its stuck halfway down...I can fix that though, trying to get this power to the back fixed first) and when I jumped back in everything was off again. I tried turning them off and on one by one, but this time they didnt come back on and I still have no power to the back.

Anyone have any hints? It looks like power is getting to the circuit board but it cant get past the circuit board. One thing I would like to add is that when I got in the car I heard one of the relays clicking. I hit it with a screwdriver a couple of times and it stopped clicking. I checked a wiring diagram I found for 99-02 Krystals and it says thats the cabin relay.

Shold I try switching it out? Or are these the symptoms of a short somewhere?
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check for voltage at the 2nd alternator and at the second battery. If you look at my pics youll see some green circles. Test for voltage there if yours looks the same.

Junior Member Limo Padawan

Originally posted by wimpy01:
    Your rear battery is shot. There wasn't enough voltage to start the second alternator charging. Hitting the battery switch provided enough voltage to start the charging cycle on the second alternator.

If you don't fix the problem soon you will burn out your second alternator. They aren't designed to charge a battery from dead.