Thread: Personal use party bus in Illinois/WI

Default Personal use party bus in Illinois/WI

I currently have an E350 with a Thor conversion that I am building into a personal (not for hire) party/tailgate bus. It is a retired 14 passenger Avis shuttle. Originally I thought the passengers could drink in the back while an isolated driver was driving to it's destination. However, review of the open container laws in IL and WI have me thinking otherwise. Currently it is insured/registered with normal passenger plates (not livery, CDL, etc). Does the open container law still apply, even with an isolated driver?

If so, what do I have to do to get around it? Do I have to register it for livery plates, and then put a not for hire sticker on it?

Default I don't think that is possible

I would think you would need to be a licensed livery company and have the requisite 5.0 million in liability insurance. If not, any PRIVATE citizen could plan to serve booze in their van/motorhome/bus/car. The rules regarding alcohol consumption in a moving vehicle are there for a reason.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

bpi, you need to talk to your state DMV or whatever they call it there. Or the highway patrol. They are the only ones that can tell you what you need to know.

Default A simple Google search turned up this article.....

Learn About the Illinois Open Container Laws
    By Andrew Lu on November 10, 2011 3:03 PM

You may know that you can be charged with a criminal offense if you are caught with a DUI and have a blood alcohol level above 0.08.

But did you know that you can also be charged with an offense if you haven't even had a sip of alcohol?
    Under Illinois open container laws, it is illegal for someone to transport, carry, or possess any open container of alcohol within the passenger area of a car while on a highway. So this means that you can't have an open beer in the cupholder. And you certainly can't hold a beer in one hand and the steering wheel in the other.

This same rule applies to your passengers. So, your buddy in the passenger seat can't be swigging a beer while you are driving.

However, if the alcohol is kept in its original container and the seal is unbroken, you may be able to keep the alcohol in the car. This is important, as some states like Pennsylvania make it illegal to store any alcohol in the passenger area of the car regardless of whether the alcohol is open or not.

If you're wondering why there's champagne in the limo or a keg in the party-bus, you should know that Illinois open container laws specifically carve out limos and chartered buses and allows passengers in these vehicles to drink so long as the alcohol remains away from the driver.

Someone who violates these laws may have their driving privileges suspended. If you have any questions about open container laws or Illinois DUIs in general, you may want to contact an attorney.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

I don't think that you need a commercial license if you will not be doing business.

You can have a limo for your personal use and have a dedicated driver who will drive you, if you're a big shot or so, and consume alcohol if you feel like it.

My friend used to was a personal chauffeur for CME executive in Chicago, who drove a mercedes spinter limo style and he did not even had chauffeur's license. He drove the guy for years. The car had a divider. There was lot's of fun behind.

Also, if you will have more than 14 people onboard, you need a passenger endorsement in Illinois. I don't know if there's the same law in WI.

Good luck and post some photos once you finish your vehicle.

V.T.

SLC Chicago.
    SLC Unofficial Blog | Weebly Page

You can also walk out into the road without looking every day for years and not get hurt, but that doesn't mean you won't ever get hit by a car.

Straight from the Illinois Vehicle Code, 625 ILCS 5/11-502, the statue dealing with open containers of alcohol in motor vehicles. Exemptions from the statute are listed in paragraph (c).

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=062500050K11-502

Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC
    Andrew@VintageChauffeuring.com
    www.VintageChauffeuring.com

yes talking to you local DOT? state troopers is good first start, if you have room to add a restroom, and a sink you could then in many states register the vehichle as an RV which would get around the open container for passengers, and reduce insurance cost much

The statutes on the books will determine what is legal. In my experience, asking DOT or HP troopers, county, city LEOs will not give you a definitive answer.

The exemptions would be where you would want to concentrate.

Read the FMCSA rules to determine your driver licensing requirements, but if you're looking at 15 pax and driver or more you will be needing a CDL. Your insurance should be the $5 million, but Phil would be the expert on that.
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Celebrating 9 years of superior service to the Charlotte, NC market. Serving corporate and individual clients with sedans, vans and limousines.