Thread: California license and classification question

Default California license and classification question

Hi, my name is Matthew, I am new to this forum and have a few questions I hope you can help me out with. I live in california and would like to purchase a 10-person limo to modify (cosmetically) for show in private events and a film; it would not be in frequent usage. The DMV website states that anyone driving a 10+ person limo must have a CDL.It would be difficult to obtain one, and when we asked a DMV employee for help they were very rude and not at all helpful. Do you know if a 10+ person vehicle requires a CDL always even for personal use? Also, can a vehicle be modified to be intended to transport fewer than 10 people, and if so how can I have it reclassified, and would that require simple modifications (ie removing seats) or more extensive modifications?Any help would be appreciated, thank you.Matt

Your typical 120" stretch limo is actually an 8 passenger vehicle (in the back) and the driver makes 9 total. To drive that you don't need a CDL.
    Check the number of seatbelts in the back, if it has them. There should also be a plaque on the car somewhere that states the number of passengers allowed. As long as your at 9 or less you don't need CDL.

I agree with lgal , I'm in California and your typical 120 stretch does not require cdl. You should be ok

Default Thanks

I appreciate the help. It's a 1989 Lincoln towncar. We were concerned because almighty wiki says that year is 10 persons. We'll double check.Matt