Thread: Free Software (legal too) for web / graphic design

Default Free Software (legal too) for web / graphic design

Ok, yes there are the already known main free alternatives (ie, gIMP instead of photoshop), but here are some good deals.

FIRST: Adobe released CS2 to be completely free to download and use. Yes, this is an older version, but many features someone who doesn't already invest in the paid version would want can be found (and there are still plenty of tutorials online for CS2).

The two biggies in this list: Photoshop and Adobe Acrobat Pro 8. PS, well you know why, Acrobat Pro 8, while there are many programs out there now to be able to make PDF files (some free, PDF995 is what I used), actually having Acrobat 8 lets you not only create them, but also make interactive forms people can fill out then print (people are more likely to fill out when they can type it in and hit print and/or print it directly to a fax driver/app to fax it to you, instead of printing it out, writing it in, then run through a fax machine) [Granted, signatures you still need the old way, but still filling out everything else is nice)

The system requirements listed, well that is what was there when the software was made, I heard it *should* run fine on WIn 7. (I have full CS6 installed on both my Win7 machines, so can't test)

[REMOVED LINK FOR NOW, see my reply]

SECOND: For those who have heard of Dreamweaver and wanted to use it. (note on above, CS2 didn't have Dreamweaver as part of it, they had just bought it from Macromedia)

Microsoft made a program that is very VERY similar to dreamweaver in functionality, Expression Web 4, which is now a free program http://www.microsoft.com/expression/ (right side of the page). Many of the features you find in dreamweaver are in there. I hated admitting it, but when I installed it earlier, I was quite impressed for being free. [Note for those who know or have heard of the old Horror stories of MS Front Page, this is nothing like it, it truley is like a copy fo dreamweaver)

One thing it does have that DW didn't: A program called SuperView. which lets you see what a site looks like in older version of IE. (IE 6, 7, 8 and 9 all render pages differently as they went from their "own standards" to "accepted web standards", so it is best to test your site in IE 7 and up, forget IE 6) It told me my version of Firefox was incompatible, but that is ok, You should have Firefox and Chrome installed to test your sites anyhow.... RIGHT?

Also on that page is a link to Express Design (which I accidentally installed first). It is a free graphics program, I wouldn't dare to say it is comparable to Photoshop, but it did seem to have as strong tie in to export/import to photoshop. Hey it is free, may want to check it out. (for decent free photo editor, I normally recommend Paint.Net, which does pretty good)
    Last edited by Greg K; January 20th, 2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Removed link for now.
    This space intentionally left blank.

That's pretty awesome. For someone not good with photoshop like myself it shouldn't really matter much if its a 10 year old version or a brand new version. I mainly do light editing and resizing pictures with it. When new versions of photoshop come out I never notice much of a difference. The other good thing about having Acrobat pro and Adobe livecycle is when you fill out PDF's to print them you can save the PDF with the text in it. I used to do my contracts that way before using Limo Anywhere.

Why should we pay for anything? Apparently Congress downloaded illegal video during the time the Internet piracy acts were being discussed. Hypocrites!
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Quote Originally Posted by brandon1 View Post
    When new versions of photoshop come out I never notice much of a difference.
    Yep, the one big difference came with CS6 though. They have some "smart" tools now, that are simply amazing. Example, a picture of s brick building with a telephone in front of it, you just highlight the pole, and it is crazy how well it will get rid of it and fill in the bricks behind it. I was a die hard Corel user. the cost kept me away from Photoshop, but now that I switched, the only reason I open Corel is to open an old file and covert it to Photoshop/Illustrator

I figured for you guys with having contracts online, the being able to convert a contract over to something people could fill out would be nice, as it not only makes it easier for them to do, but also makes it much more readable for when you get back. I will admit, it takes a little getting used to creating the interactive form, but when you get it, it makes them so nice and easy for the user.

-Greg

It was pointed out in another place that the link I gave, while not giving any definition was put in place by Adobe for licensed CS2 users, as their upgraded licensing system no longer works for CS2, so they gave the licenses / download links for current legally licensed users.

Adobe's help page on it gives vauge answers on if this is the case, and I have put in a request to their support on the issue if this is really the case. Until then I have removed the link. if they state that it is in fact ok for anyone to use, then I will put it back.

Sorry for the confusion on that. (Note the other program I linked to *IS* publiclly free to use).

-Greg

PS. FINALLY got clarficiation from Adobe, the link given was only legal to use by those who originally had legal license to the programs, so will not give the link. Again, sorry for the confustion there.
    Last edited by Greg K; January 20th, 2013 at 11:17 AM.