Thread: Funeral Homes

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

Default Funeral Homes

There are 3 funeral homes within 10 miles of our office. I want to start working with them, but i don't know where to start. I was thinking of just stopping in with some literature for the owner and try to offer them a discounted package for starters. I even thought of doing 1 or 2 services for free just to show them the quality of our service. Any ideas ????

Funeral work is awesome but to get in you really got to get into the funeral home directors skin .I don't know the industry in Florida but California is a tough bid most funeral homes have there own Lincoln or caddi hearse and the others already exclusive to other companies . Also they typically dont like fancy night out limos ... A spotless, flawless black limo does the job ! Clean simple interior , your 5th door would do the job . I hope this helps , goodluck I hope you score

Blog Entries

There is 1 funeral home that has there own limos but the other 2 don't. I think you are right about our black 5th door. I just need to get my but over there and sell.

Quote Originally Posted by O5EXECL View Post
    Funeral work is awesome but to get in you really got to get into the funeral home directors skin .I don't know the industry in Florida but California is a tough bid most funeral homes have there own Lincoln or caddi hearse and the others already exclusive to other companies . Also they typically dont like fancy night out limos ... A spotless, flawless black limo does the job ! Clean simple interior , your 5th door would do the job . I hope this helps , goodluck I hope you score

Usually established funeral homes have a company they have worked with for years, I acquired a few in my area after purchasing a limo company that had been providing service to them for quite some time. I took over in 2006 and as far as I know they dont even consider any other service, We do on average 3-5 a month for one of them. Building a rapport with the directors is key, If they like you and you provide their clients with quality service they will never have a reason to look elsewhere. I would not recommend trying to get the buisness by being the cheap service or doing it for free to get your foot in the door, this only under values your service and once you do it cheap you will always have to. Just stop in with one of your rides and introduce yourself, leave some contact info and let them know you are around if the need arises. Good luck.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the advise. I plan on going there with the black 5th door. But first we need to order some pro mo stuff. Pens, note pads ect. Everyone likes little gifts. We get sales reps from the part stores in my shop all the time. They always bring us goodies. I looked on one funeral homes website and don't even see that they offer limo service. So we may be able to add something by offering our service. But your right we won't give it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite2RememberLimo View Post
    Usually established funeral homes have a company they have worked with for years, I acquired a few in my area after purchasing a limo company that had been providing service to them for quite some time. I took over in 2006 and as far as I know they dont even consider any other service, We do on average 3-5 a month for one of them. Building a rapport with the directors is key, If they like you and you provide their clients with quality service they will never have a reason to look elsewhere. I would not recommend trying to get the buisness by being the cheap service or doing it for free to get your foot in the door, this only under values your service and once you do it cheap you will always have to. Just stop in with one of your rides and introduce yourself, leave some contact info and let them know you are around if the need arises. Good luck.

I think that is a great idea. Kiely Hines has an insurance program for funeral homes, so I have first-hand knowledge of this, I have noticed that over the past seven years, there are more funeral homes that are choosing not to update their fleets, but rather outsource the work to limousine operations. Another trend however is that some funeral homes are joining forces and creating limo fleets for use between companies. There is also an increase in the number of funeral homes that are being purchased by large national companies which make the business development process more difficult.

My suggestion, for what it is worth, would be to research the homes in your area that are locally owned so that you can speak directly with a decision maker, and to start the process, simply introduce yourself to them.

There is a limo company in our area and funeral work is all they do.

The funerals that I have done ,
    I noticed that getting around in cemeteries with a limo can be tricky , as most in
    our area have narrow roads going through them.

Also you have to take into account that the interior of the limo is going to get
    mud & dirt on the rugs from passngers shoes , after they walk to the grave & back to the limo.
    Bad weather will only make the dirt situation even worse.

The other thing is funeral directors sometimes ask the drivers to help loading with the casket.
    And the drivers have to be very sympathetic in dealing with the greiving passengers.
    Make sure there are plenty of tissues in the limos.

Quote Originally Posted by joel yee View Post
    The other thing is funeral directors sometimes ask the drivers to help loading with the casket.
    Another reason for Workers Compensation. They are always Independent Contractors until they pull their back out walking a casket.

Typically you would remove all the glassware from the vehicle (at least that was the request from the funeral homes we've dealt with). Waters in the icewell were optional; we normally supply for funerals and 1 big box of tissues in the front icewell area, 1 on the package shelf. We use carpet rectangles (2 to 4) for doormats to cut down on dirt. Pop the trunk, throw'em in.

1st funeral I ever did was working for another limo company...February, 20 degrees, sleeting, I was asked to assist as a pallbearer. Never again!! We always explain pallbearer is not in our job description.
    Bill Payne
    American Limousine, LLC
    Lake Wylie, SC
    Celebrating 9 years of superior service to the Charlotte, NC market. Serving corporate and individual clients with sedans, vans and limousines.