Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats too many kms/miles on a limo?

Default Whats too many kms/miles on a limo?

When do you try to sell or upgrade how my miles on a good condition limo?ur personal opinion.

Your going to get many different answers and opinions with this question. It all depends because there are company's with 20 to 30+ cars that have latest models and low miles. They might sell there cars at 100-150k and then replenish with new models and trends . Then there's small operators that have older body style sedans and stretches with up to 300-400k . It all depends on the prefference of the operator but iv seen quite a few limos with 500k plus still out there .

Thats what im looking for different answers. Personal opinion, when do u upgrade in ur fleet, whats ur preference. I have a older 1998 120" classic wave with 298,000 kms in good condition, so i was just fishing 4 answers thx 4 input O5EXECL

Senior Member Excalibur Limousine's Avatar

Following your posts, it appears that your stretch needs a new top (with unknown issues causing bubbling) and interior concerns. When repairs and maintenance begin to out weigh the value of your limousine, or recovery of costs, it is maybe time to put her to bed. There is not that many people who are able to do good and competent work on these units, and when you do find them they will cost you for their experience. Experience has told me that if you have problems with bubbling up top, you will find it down below as well. Be careful with your input costs so it doesn't bury you from the start.
    Excalibur Limousine Service
    'Delivering on Service'

Lincoln TC Exec L
    Ford Expedition
    Lincoln TC 85" Stretch - Krystal 85R3
    Lincoln TC 120" Super Stretch - Krystal 120V5 & ECB
    Ford Excursion 140" Stretch - Krystal & ECB
    Ford E450 Limo Coach - Krystal KK28
    Ford F550 Limo Coach - Krystal KK33

Quote Originally Posted by limoprize View Post
    Thats what im looking for different answers. Personal opinion, when do u upgrade in ur fleet, whats ur preference. I have a older 1998 120" classic wave with 298,000 kms in good condition, so i was just fishing 4 answers thx 4 input O5EXECL
    You better stop putting money into that car. I know the Classic Wave's inside and out since I sold them by the boatload back then. In order to properly replace the vinyl top on that vehicle the single side panel windows must be removed first. Those windows can no longer be found....if you break one while removing it to do the vinyl top you won't have a car. Also, a significant amount of interior trim including parts of the chromed stainless steel headliner need to be removed to get the side windows out. I doubt you will find anyone with that experience. Here I only know of one shop that could do that repair and I don't even know if they would attempt it without the availability of replacement glass.

I know there will be smaller operators who will disagree with me, but 15 year old limousines truly don't have any value left to them.
    Rick E.
    City Limousine Sales
    √XTS Livery Sedans√Escalade ESV Livery Package SUV's√Lincoln & Cadillac Limousines & Funeral Coaches by Federal Coach√GMC Professional Grade SUV's & 15 Passenger Vans√Cadillac & Buick Passenger Cars, Crossovers, and SUV's.

~Stupidity might be hereditary, but ignorance should be painful!~

www.citylimosales.com

ok thanks guys, ya im prob just gonna use the classic wave as a personal limo 4 friends and fam. Got my eyes on a 2007 lincoln limo also, but thx for all the input appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick E. View Post
    I know there will be smaller operators who will disagree with me, but 15 year old limousines truly don't have any value left to them.
    My oldest vehicle is 14 years old. It still makes just as much money as the newer ones and the extra maintenance costs less than a brand new vehicle would depreciate. I'm sure that can't be said about all older vehicles but that's quite a generalization.

You can polish a turd all day long but at the end of the day it's still a POS!! If your spending more on repairs, upkeep and upgrades than its making the choice is obvious. Unless your 98-02 TC is super clean, rust free and low mileage then I would put it to pasture. Just my $0.02

Banned

For example:

I have a 2000 ltc (10 passenger) with 140,000 miles, hardly any rust, clean interior & I can still charge$650 tax in. (4 hr wedding)

I have to get rustproofing on it each year, because winter season it takes a beating with all that road salt.

Of course it also depends on your local area.

And the maintenance is so low on the LTC, its hard to find a replacement.

Blog Entries

There is beauty in age...Timeless Classics.Attachment 2633 This 1986 and 1984 are as pretty as they day they were purchased
    Badger State Limousine Service
    "When nothing less than perfection will do"
    (414)-GO-GO-RED (414)-464-6733
    www. BADGERSTATELIMO.com

http://www.Badgerstatelimo.com
    http://www.MILWAUKEEWISCONSINLIMO.com

Quote Originally Posted by nvthslex View Post
    For example:

I have a 2000 ltc (10 passenger) with 140,000 miles, hardly any rust, clean interior & I can still charge$650 tax in....
    That is a first. I have never heard of a limouisne operator bragging that his vehicle(s) have hardly any rust. I realize that every market is a bit different, and every market segment demands different things...but operating a rusty vehicle? I suppose if this becomes a trend hotels will advertise their "bathrooms have hardly any dirt" and restaurants will follow-suit with "hardly any mouse droppings".

If you are going to be in the luxury transportation business it would seem that having a rust free vehicle would not even be a choice.
    Rick E.
    City Limousine Sales
    √XTS Livery Sedans√Escalade ESV Livery Package SUV's√Lincoln & Cadillac Limousines & Funeral Coaches by Federal Coach√GMC Professional Grade SUV's & 15 Passenger Vans√Cadillac & Buick Passenger Cars, Crossovers, and SUV's.

~Stupidity might be hereditary, but ignorance should be painful!~

www.citylimosales.com

Thanks for all the info and advice guys!!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick E. View Post
    That is a first. I have never heard of a limouisne operator bragging that his vehicle(s) have hardly any rust. I realize that every market is a bit different, and every market segment demands different things...but operating a rusty vehicle? I suppose if this becomes a trend hotels will advertise their "bathrooms have hardly any dirt" and restaurants will follow-suit with "hardly any mouse droppings".If you are going to be in the luxury transportation business it would seem that having a rust free vehicle would not even be a choice.
    I was simply commenting on the fact that if you have a clean vehicle, it can still make money.

And of course, to be in the business one's vehicles have to be in great condition.

There are members who keep their 'older' limos in superb condition, just look at mrq45limo (pic above) I think that is worth mentioning & bragging about. Keeping a vehicle in top shape means hours of proper care and preventative maintenance.

I cant comment on each and every operator but am extremely sure everyone on here keeps their vehicles in top shape.

Even in sunny state of Florida it can be hard to keep a vehicle rust free, due to the salt water surrounding them. And Elegant Limo, is on top of that. Keeping his limos in perfect condition.

*There are operators that do have rusty limos, they just get rented out to people who cant pay the money to rent a nice one.
    Last edited by nvthslex; December 28th, 2012 at 07:58 PM.

Any more than about 30,000 miles and you need to replace brake pads, rotors, air bags on the suspension, interior lighting, headlights, tires, wheels because they are bent like crazy, coach lights, TV screens, tint, carpet, rear passenger door, repaint the entire car, both alternators, at least 1 battery, the vinyl top, control board behind front seat, heater core, radiator, AC clutch....oh it never ends!
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

It is so true about rust. We park all cars inside and still deal with small rut problems. It's limos in general. I have a 94 Honda civic. It sits outside all it's life. No rust at all ! Stick a limo outside and it will turn to dust in no time.

In our market great service and nice clean cars that are properly maintained will make for a successful fleet. We run a 98 sedan, 99 120" , 01 100" and our 05 180" Excursion. I make dam sure all cars perform perfect and my wife's OCD makes sure we have the cleanest cars inFL.

Thanks for the compliment !!
    Quote Originally Posted by nvthslex View Post
    I was simply commenting on the fact that if you have a clean vehicle, it can still make money.

And of course, to be in the business one's vehicles have to be in great condition.

There are members who keep their 'older' limos in superb condition, just look at mrq45limo (pic above) I think that is worth mentioning & bragging about. Keeping a vehicle in top shape means hours of proper care and preventative maintenance.

I cant comment on each and every operator but am extremely sure everyone on here keeps their vehicles in top shape.

Even in sunny state of Florida it can be hard to keep a vehicle rust free, due to the salt water surrounding them. And Elegant Limo, is on top of that. Keeping his limos in perfect condition.

*There are operators that do have rusty limos, they just get rented out to people who cant pay the money to rent a nice one.