Thread: GoDaddy issues (being down) today (9/10/12)

Default GoDaddy issues (being down) today (9/10/12)

GoDaddy is having a major problems today, so if your site is with them, you have e-mail with them, or you just have your domain through them but hosted elsewhere, your site/services may be down today, with no indication of for how long.

Anonymous (hacker group) is claiming responsibility of the attack. Will have to see if that ends up being true.

So if your site is dead, or for some reason you can't get to your mail you have through them, now you know why. I have two clients who host with me, but their domains (against my advice) are actually through GoDaddy, and since their DNS servers are down, people can't get to their sites.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...esponsibility/
    Last edited by Greg K; September 10th, 2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: spelling
    This space intentionally left blank.

I haven't had any problems with them till now and now I find out they support programs like internet censorship. Who would you suggest for domains?

Myself, I use PairNIC.com for mine. (I was using their hosting division since 1997 until I started running my own servers, so liked keeping everything with the same company).

They are a little pricier if you just buy one year at a time, however I try to do multiples anyhow (better SEO to have farther out exp date). But one thing to consider is they do provide Privacy services free with domains, a lot of other places charge you more. (I personally like that I can easily select what is private, ie. I can leave company name and address, but make phone and e-mail set to be private)

There are many placed to get domains though, most of them, no problems, PairNIC is just who I like (and it is supports a more local company out of Pittsburgh).

One place, that even though for the most part you may not have troubles that I recommend against, is 1&1. They can be a pain when you try to do anything close to your expiration dates (which you shouldn't do anything within 2 weeks), that and issues with billing after you move a domain out. (I've had them call me 3 months after I moved a domain name out, and tell me "you are using us for your e-mail on domain whatever.com" and then have the nerve to argue it with me, and also try to sell me MORE??? These were domains I got free with my server I had there.) And well, their control panel, from what I hear still suffers issues like it did when I cancelled my server with them a few months ago. Their customer service is complete crap, total lack of communication in their office.

On a side note, the key issue today was with the name servers to tell web browsers (and mail programs) what server to look at for the domain. Think of it like a phone book. You know you want to call Joe Smith, so you look up the number to connect to. Same thing, you want to go to www.limos.com, your computer goes to name servers to find out the number to connect to (in this case, the IP address of 209.251.186.26)

If they can't get ahold of the name server (the case with GoDaddy today), the browser has no clue where to go to fetch the site.
    It is possible to have a domain registered through GoDaddy and then use other name servers (I have two hosting clients who do this), so they had no issues today.

There was an article on wired.com how godaddy changed their own domains to instead use nameservers one of their competitors, Verisign.

There was complaints on Columbus Zoo FB page about the CEO of GoDaddy doing the elephant hunt a year or so ago, but yeah, support of SOPA is a big issue.
    Last edited by Greg K; September 10th, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
    This space intentionally left blank.