Thread: Starting up in San Francisco

Default Starting up in San Francisco

Hi guys!

I have a friend who owns a transportation service in the Bay Area, and he has offered to help me become an independent operator, and to help me start my own business.

Quick questions:

How much is the filing fee with the PUC to get my TCP ? (I hope I used those acronyms properly) The website says $500 but the form says 1k

How long does it take for my permit to be issued?

How much should I be paying for an older towncar (2001) with many miles (350k)?

And what is a good rate for me to charge going from SFO to downtown SF? (called a transfer, right?)

Thanks for all your guys' help in advance, Im really looking forward to this great opportunity

-DH

I will be driving an older TownCar L or exectutive. How do I refer to this? Is it a limo? or a towncar?

I don't know much about operating in California, but I don't know if I would start with such an old car in San Fran. I'm in Kansas City, a much small market, and those won't even work out here! There are plenty of 2006+ Lincoln Town Cars in your state in the teens with much lower mileage which should help you attract new business and retain it. But, to answer the question as to how much I would pay for a car like you described...$1500 max.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Hey DH welcome.

The fee is $ 1000.00 went up a few years ago but probably no budget to get the web site updated. Make sure you have all your ducks lined up before submitting. Approval process should take 1 to 3 months.

Skip that town car that is just to worn out. Try to stay with the newer body style 2003 and up. wont look so dated.

Have you considered any hybrids to use? Or even CNG. You are at the center of the enviormental movement in SF. might be what your market is looking for. We worked with a great green company up there, I am sure there are many.

your rate structure should work it's self out in your business plan.

Sfo to downtown - that you would call an airport. (starts or ends at an airport)
    Transfer would be like downtown to the cow palace and just droping them off, not waiting. You would charged more for a transfer than say an airport because there is no advantage for you vehicle to be availible at the cow palace. But there are more oppertunities for it when availible at SFO. That is one school of thought anyway.

Good luck!
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com