Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Non-Profit Looking for HCPTC Certificate Holders To File Lawsuit

Blog Entries

it doesn't work for customers who have been using taxi all the time and now they wand a limo for the same price, clients with that mentality belong in a yellow cab not in a chauffeur driven vehicle, taxis have minimum rates why should't we ? and by the why taxi is NOT a public transportation but on demand transportation in Miami and Fort Lauderdale

Blog Entries

If one wants to ride in luxury he/she has to pay luxury rate.because obviously it cost more tu run a luxury transportation than a taxi service right?

Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    If one wants to ride in luxury he/she has to pay luxury rate.because obviously it cost more tu run a luxury transportation than a taxi service right?
    Do you have any proof of this? I run a pretty tight ship and am sure that it costs me less to run my operation as it is today than it would if I were to run a cab. A lot of that has to do with marketing, an area where it has become apparent you don't have much understanding.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Quote Originally Posted by blvd limo View Post
    a lot of that has to do with marketing, an area where it has become apparent you don't have much understanding.
    qft!!

it doesn't work for customers who have been using taxi all the time and now they wand a limo for the same price, clients with that mentality belong in a yellow cab not in a chauffeur driven vehicle, taxis have minimum rates why should't we ? and by the why taxi is NOT a public transportation but on demand transportation in Miami and Fort Lauderdale
    What is the price of a taxi there? $2+ a mile? What is your hourly rate? $65 per hour according to your website. I just want to drive around for 5 hours, up and down the coast. No stops. I just want to drive up and down the coast. Let's say we average a speed of 45 mph. Over that 5 hour period we travel 225 miles. A cab would end up costing me $450+. You would cost me only $325. Oh, look! I saved over $125 with you! But I thought luxury was supposed to cost more!

Your arguments have been weak at best. Government regulation should not be a replacement for hard work. The reason why you have the regulations that you have, as Gunny pointed out, is to make sure the owners of the taxi companies are able to line their pockets. What has it done for you? Apparently nothing as you continue to whine about not having enough business because you must charge more than taxicabs on the basis of being "luxury" and having minimum fares set by the government.

In my market, there are many areas that I am able to charge less than a cab. Do you know why? Because I get a fare going to the airport and one coming back from the airport. I am able to limit the number of deadheads I have to have my cars do. Cabs are constantly deadheading. They take a fare from the airport to a hotel, then drive back to the airport empty, not making any money, where they will wait for a couple hours until they are able to get their next fare. There is a lot of time that a taxicab is sitting empty and no revenue is being produced.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Transporter continues to prove he is out of his league.

Limos provide contracted prearranged service where the consumer (in most locales) has the opportunity to shop and limo ops must sell their service based on consumer needs.

Minimum rates effectively provide a zone of protection for taxi operations. Example is, a $65 minimum rate is set for sedans so if a potential client calls for a price from the airport to a hotel 10 minutes down the road, the limo operator is mandated under law to tell that potential customer the sedan is
    $65 where in a city with no minimum rates set the cost might be $40 or even lower. Of course many potential customers will say thanks but no thanks & grab a cab. Result of minimum pricing regs is lost customers for short runs.

Now, why are limo services much cheaper in many cases then cabs esp if the ride has some distance? Again, competition based on arranging in advance. The limo ops must compete for that prearranged contract. If someone fails to prearrange ground transport and they need a ride 50 away from the airport, there is no make a deal with the cabbie. It's X amount, take it or walk.

Again minimum rates applied to limos is to protect the taxicab industry. Those who believe it protects their bottom end are fools and minimum rates consumers must pay for other services & products would never even fly.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    Transporter continues to prove he is out of his league.

Limos provide contracted prearranged service where the consumer (in most locales) has the opportunity to shop and limo ops must sell their service based on consumer needs.

Minimum rates effectively provide a zone of protection for taxi operations. Example is, a $65 minimum rate is set for sedans so if a potential client calls for a price from the airport to a hotel 10 minutes down the road, the limo operator is mandated under law to tell that potential customer the sedan is
    $65 where in a city with no minimum rates set the cost might be $40 or even lower. Of course many potential customers will say thanks but no thanks & grab a cab. Result of minimum pricing regs is lost customers for short runs.

Now, why are limo services much cheaper in many cases then cabs esp if the ride has some distance? Again, competition based on arranging in advance. The limo ops must compete for that prearranged contract. If someone fails to prearrange ground transport and they need a ride 50 away from the airport, there is no make a deal with the cabbie. It's X amount, take it or walk.

Again minimum rates applied to limos is to protect the taxicab industry. Those who believe it protects their bottom end are fools and minimum rates consumers must pay for other services & products would never even fly.
    Kind of funny they even do it, considering if the limo operators got together and did it they could be charged with a felony for price fixing.

Blog Entries

You all have a point there. the luxury sedan rate would be cheaper than a taxi for a long run but not for short fares, a taxi can solicit and pick up anywhere from anywhere so they do have less deadheading than us. and Yes the minimum rate is good for the cabs and protects them not us. it hurts the small limo operator I am currently loosing about $20.000 annually potential business due to high minimum rates (currently $70 ) for a one way transfer (sedan & SUV) and limo is $90 for a one way transfer but unfortunately the cabs have a strong lobby with the comissioners to fight us the small operator. also the minimum rate is good for the large operator
    Last edited by transporter; August 19th, 2012 at 08:09 AM.

If you're willing to sign on I will direct you to the lawyer. The organization is attacking different cities. Be advised this is a nonprofit meaning your name is what is needed not a check.
    Already talked to them a couple of months ago. Don't know if it's going to do any good, but at least they're interested. The really ironic thing is - this is a totally unenforceable ordinance and is violated every day.

They are coming into Tampa tonight and tomorrow. I will be meeting with them & will ask about Austin when I meet with them.

You all have a point there. the luxury sedan rate would be cheaper than a taxi for a long run but not for short fares, a taxi can solicit and pick up anywhere from anywhere so they do have less deadheading than us. and Yes the minimum rate is good for the cabs and protects them not us. it hurts the small limo operator I am currently loosing about $20.000 annually potential business due to high minimum rates (currently $70 ) for a one way transfer (sedan & SUV) and limo is $90 for a one way transfer but unfortunately the cabs have a strong lobby with the comissioners to fight us the small operator. also the minimum rate is good for the large operator
    You want to challenege the minimum rate so you can build your biz instead of potential clients going elsewhere let me know & I'll give your info to the Lawyers.

Default HCPTC Minimum Rates On Consumers Hitting The News

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/was...nimum-in-tampa

Washington was momentarily thrilled Friday to discover the beloved private car service Über would be available next week in Tampa at the Republican convention.

But then came the caveat, in tiny type: $50 is the minimum fare required by law in Tampa. A short ride through Tampa in the shiny, black sedan would still be luxurious, but certainly cost you.

Does Uber have boats? They might need them

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/was...nimum-in-tampa

Washington was momentarily thrilled Friday to discover the beloved private car service Über would be available next week in Tampa at the Republican convention.

But then came the caveat, in tiny type: $50 is the minimum fare required by law in Tampa. A short ride through Tampa in the shiny, black sedan would still be luxurious, but certainly cost you.
    Thanks for posting this. As a Tampa resident that frequently takes expensive cab rides (and contemplating a private stretched town car because of it), these minimums are completely asinine. I hadn't heard about Uber's arrival in Tampa.

Anyone that cites 'business' as a reason for the minimums has no grounding in economics. The same thing happens with the minimum wage - it only hurts those it was designed to help. What if, as a business owner, I wanted to run a completely lean organization and pass the savings on to the customer, a la Southwest Airlines? Nope, not in this industry, because a bunch of entrenched players got together and lobbied to keep your business model from happening in this American city.

Quote Originally Posted by danyay View Post
    Thanks for posting this. As a Tampa resident that frequently takes expensive cab rides (and contemplating a private stretched town car because of it), these minimums are completely asinine. I hadn't heard about Uber's arrival in Tampa.

Anyone that cites 'business' as a reason for the minimums has no grounding in economics. The same thing happens with the minimum wage - it only hurts those it was designed to help. What if, as a business owner, I wanted to run a completely lean organization and pass the savings on to the customer, a la Southwest Airlines? Nope, not in this industry, because a bunch of entrenched players got together and lobbied to keep your business model from happening in this American city.
    Good post . Wish there was a way to get the word out to the populace about the impact this type regulation has on their wallets. Maybe I can work a special report through Mike Deeson after the RNC.