Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using a different tire

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

Default Using a different tire

We are going to be putting new tires on our 100" LTC. We don't need white walls,so I was looking in to other tire options. Has anyone tried to fit a 225-75-16 on a LTC ? I found some tires that have the same weight rating as the michelins and $50 cheaper and easier to get. I couldn't find a heavy load range in the 225-70-16 but I did in the 225-75-16. Just hoping someone has tried this before.

Blog Entries

The 225-75-16 might be too tall for the front.

I do use 235-70-16 in the rear as it lifts up the rear by a couple of inches.

Quote Originally Posted by LIMOJESS View Post

How do you rotate your tires then?
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

You could just have the white-walls mounted on the inside of the rim, or facing in towards the car, to have the all black tire look.

I've done that on SUV tires since I don't like white-walls.

Just a thought....
    Thank you,

Dan @ Fusion Limos ~ Closed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LIMOJESS View Post

I did some research and found that the 225-75-16 is one inch taller than the 225-70-16. I know it would work in the back I'm just not sure about the front. I never thought of using a 235-70-16. Do you think it would fit on the front or have you ever tried ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion Limos View Post
    You could just have the white-walls mounted on the inside of the rim, or facing in towards the car, to have the all black tire look.

I've done that on SUV tires since I don't like white-walls.

Just a thought....
    I know I could do that. The whole point was since I don't need the white wall I could go with a less expensive tire and also a tire that isn't always on back order. But thank you for the input.

My LTC 140 has 235 70 16 all the way around They were on it when I got the car . If the car is loaded full they will rub sometimes going in and out of some driveways on front . Not so bad that it is a problem. I just go very slow and not an issue. I do think I will switch to the correct extra load tire when I put new ones on , now they are avaliable again. Do check weight load on any tires you put on a stretch. I think the factory 225/70/16 xl tire is rated at 2160 lbs per tire . Most after market tires that I have looked at are 1860. That is a big difference when loaded with passengers at risk
    Last edited by Pyro; July 3rd, 2012 at 07:38 AM.

Blog Entries

Same thing with a regular town car during those years. The executives series came in 225 60 16 but some of the signatures and cartiers are 235 60 16. ALso i use SUV or light truck tires for the limos. They are more better than regular tires. And the white walls or white lettering goes on the inside

I just put the Michelin Symetrys on my 2000 120" it took a while to find the 225/70 r16 but that 107 load rating was my major motivator. If you found other tires with the same load rating, I don't think an extra inch is going to be too much at all. My only question is are the other tires as quiet as the Michelins? It sounds more like a light truck / SUV tire?

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

FYI: to find out the height of the sidewall (this does not include tread!)
    225/75: take 225 X .75 = 168.75 MM high (or 6.64 inches tall sidewall).
    225/70: take 225 X .70 = 157.50 MM high (or 6.2 inches tall).
    That is about 0.44 inches difference in sidewall height. With the tread, you are probably right in that it is probably close to 1" taller.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TarponCars View Post
    I just put the Michelin Symetrys on my 2000 120" it took a while to find the 225/70 r16 but that 107 load rating was my major motivator. If you found other tires with the same load rating, I don't think an extra inch is going to be too much at all. My only question is are the other tires as quiet as the Michelins? It sounds more like a light truck / SUV tire?
    I found tires with the same and higher load rating. But like you said I'm worried about the ride and will it look dumb. I can only find them in 225-75-16. If someone can tell me they fit and I can find one that doesn't look so much like a truck tire them I'm good. I just hate to go with the Michelins again since they are so hard to find. I would rather use a more common tire.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Cedar Mill Limousine;109287]FYI: to find out the height of the sidewall (this does not include tread!)
    That is about 0.44 inches difference in sidewall height. With the tread, you are probably right in that it is probably close to 1" taller.[/QUOTE

I'm sure the tire will fit in the wheel well since Krystal has such high springs in the front. I'm just not sure if turning will be a problem.]

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

[QUOTE=Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast;109289]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Mill Limousine View Post
    FYI: to find out the height of the sidewall (this does not include tread!)
    That is about 0.44 inches difference in sidewall height. With the tread, you are probably right in that it is probably close to 1" taller.[/QUOTE

I'm sure the tire will fit in the wheel well since Krystal has such high springs in the front. I'm just not sure if turning will be a problem.]
    Get 6 of your friends to pile in, turn the tires, and take a tape measure.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast View Post
    I found tires with the same and higher load rating. But like you said I'm worried about the ride and will it look dumb. I can only find them in 225-75-16. If someone can tell me they fit and I can find one that doesn't look so much like a truck tire them I'm good. I just hate to go with the Michelins again since they are so hard to find. I would rather use a more common tire.
    Tire Rack Has the Michelin Symmetry in stock for $572 plus shipping and a $70 rebate, which will probably cover the shipping plus. I would go with these because they are the right tire, wil give you the best ride, you won't have to worry about rubbing or load issues, and they will just look the best. And for that price, you really are getting a pretty good deal IMO.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    Tire Rack Has the Michelin Symmetry in stock for $572 plus shipping and a $70 rebate, which will probably cover the shipping plus. I would go with these because they are the right tire, wil give you the best ride, you won't have to worry about rubbing or load issues, and they will just look the best. And for that price, you really are getting a pretty good deal IMO.
    Thats a deal if you ask me. This time last year it was $850 for 4, if you could even find them in the great "Symmetry crisis of 2011".
    FAIRFAX LIMO - Northern Virginia and Washington DC Limo Service

Lincoln TC (Executive) - multiple
    Lincoln TC (Executive L) - multiple
    Lincoln TC 100" Stretch by US Coachworks
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by DaBryan
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by Krystal (2)
    Lincoln TC 120" Stretch by Executive
    Lincoln TC 72" Stretch by Krystal
    Ford Excursion 180" by Legendary
    Hummer H2 200" by Krystal
    Hummer H2 180" by Craftsmen
    K33 Limobus/Party Bus (F550) by Krystal