Thread: US to Canada trips? What is needed to go into BC, Canada

Default US to Canada trips? What is needed to go into BC, Canada

So my business is based on US soil. All vehicles and drivers are based out of USA and have "intra"state USDOT authority. I realize I will need to get my MCC for the "Inter"State authority use going into/out of Canada. So what would I need for a 10 passenger limo under 10K lbs to originate out of Alaska and tour a part of Canada in British Columbia and return. (I am only traversing throughout one Canadian province and do not qualify for British Columbia Apportioned Registration)
    So what additional licensing and permits, taxes, etc do I need to conduct business in Britsh Columbia as being an USDOT operator that does not do freight forwarding and also drops off/picks up passengers in Canada.
    Do I need a separate business license to conduct business over state lines other than my Alaskan Business License?

My mind is blown..........Please help!

I've called the border several times and could never get a straight answer. I do trips into Windsor and I require all of the clients (and chauffeur of course) to have a passport or enhanced ID to get across the border to make sure there isn't any stops.

Do you have to give Canada GST/HST Tax on the runs you do in Canada?

Supplies taxable at 5%, 12%, 13%,
    or 15%
    Examples of supplies of goods and services taxable at 5%,
    12%, 13%, or 15% include:
    ■ sales and rentals of commercial real property;
    ■ sales and leases of automobiles;
    ■ car repairs;
    ■ taxi and limousine transportation;
    ■ legal and accounting services;
    ■ publications such as books, magazines, and periodicals;
    ■ rights to operate franchises; and
    ■ hotel accommodation.

I was reading up on the HST/GST taxes and I am a non-resident and I cannot be claimed as a "Small Supplier" as I do more than $30K in gross receipts over the last 4 quarters. Also, Canada says I have to pay a security deposit for the Business Tax account at a minimum of $5K as I do not have a permanent establishment in Canada.

Blog Entries

BRANDON: Every Province is different and has it owns rules

Alaska Limo: Anytime you bring in a limo, van, suv or sedan they normally do not care much unless you visit the airport
    For a bus you need to have permit which cost $200 and your insurance broker will need to file a insurance with the following;
    The Passenger Transportation Branch is the main source of information about all commercial passenger transportation licensing requirements in British Columbia:
    Passenger Transportation Branch
    Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure
    104, 4240 Manor Street
    Burnaby, B.C., V5G 1B2 Telephone: 604-453-4250

I forgot the ladies name but tell them you have a limo and are brining it into canada they will direct the call to her.