Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 15 Passenger Van + Trailer. How do you manage more than 10 passeger +lugg

Hi Wade and Johnathon,

I have a turtletop terra transporter and was curious as to how much luggage room the federal has in comparison? If you also don't mind me asking how much are they compared to a new turtletop? At the vegas show they were saying a new turtletop was about $75k plus!

The federals have just been allowed entry into Canada so it is an option we are looking at.

For those of you who buy new buses what company has the best value? I tried pricing a few places to get a brand new E450 with only AC and absolutely no interior (since I would turn it into a party bus) and the cheapest I found was around 55 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Excel View Post
    Hi Wade and Johnathon,

I have a turtletop terra transporter and was curious as to how much luggage room the federal has in comparison? If you also don't mind me asking how much are they compared to a new turtletop? At the vegas show they were saying a new turtletop was about $75k plus!

The federals have just been allowed entry into Canada so it is an option we are looking at.
    Our 14 passenger can hold 30 bags in a separate rear compartment, plus you have overhead storage as well. We paid under $75k.
    Jonathan
    Premiere #1 Limousine Service
    2000 Vine St
    Middletown, PA17057
    ph 717-616-8997
    fax 717-616-8415
    jonathans@premiere1limousine.com
    http://www.premiere1limousine.com/
    facebook.com/Premiere1Limousine
    @Premiere1Limo

Blog Entries

big mistake! Ford Dodge and Chevy 15 pax vans are very dangerous to drive and scientificaly proven fact that they tend to flip over on the road if loaded with more than 10 pax, MB Sprinter is your best van for livery business, stay away from the other ones

Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    big mistake! Ford Dodge and Chevy 15 pax vans are very dangerous to drive and scientificaly proven fact that they tend to flip over on the road if loaded with more than 10 pax, MB Sprinter is your best van for livery business, stay away from the other ones
    Thank you for your scientific insight.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon1 View Post
    For those of you who buy new buses what company has the best value? I tried pricing a few places to get a brand new E450 with only AC and absolutely no interior (since I would turn it into a party bus) and the cheapest I found was around 55 or so.
    I would say the best value would be Federal or Ameritrans.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Randolph View Post
    Thank you for your scientific insight.
    Well said Wade !

You understand that the Sprinter (regardless of whose badge is on the grill [Freightliner, Dodge, MB]) comes in both single and dual-rear wheel options. The srw Sprinter is no different than the previously mentioned makes of vehicles with srw.

Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    For price shoppers can't beat a 15pax + trailer. I have used it since day one and the combo is very popular here (FL) at cruise ports. Selling point is telling callers they can pack the kitchen sink if they want to. Also a plus for those traveling with those electric scooters.

I will agree with Gunny, purchase a used 5x8 trailer(I like RED) and letter it up with your company info, another form of advertising rolling billboard.

When I had the Lincoln TC L and people wanted to go to the port(s) but DIDN'T want to ride in a van, It was farmed out to a friend with a van for luggage.

Now I have the Expedition L, so plenty of room for luggage
    Last edited by T. Anthony; June 14th, 2012 at 07:35 AM.

Blog Entries

I didnt research the vehicles but the DOT did and found that out, it was on discovery channel, the axle isn"t made well thats why it tends to flip over

I didnt research the vehicles but the DOT did and found that out, it was on discovery channel, the axle isn"t made well thats why it tends to flip over
    The Discovery Channel also aired a show all about storm chasing. Knowing all of the storm chasers on that show and having graduated with the same degree as many of them have from the same university that they attended and having a great friendship with them, there is a lot of stuff that was put into the show to make it dramatic. I also know someone who helps write the science portion of MythBusters and, again, there is some stuff that is added to make it more interesting. TV shows are influenced heavily by money and in order to get the most money from advertising they must make the show worthy of viewership.

I will go with Phil's input from an insurance study perspective. He is extremely knowledgeable in vehicle safety and I have more confidence in him that some cable TV show.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    The Discovery Channel also aired a show all about storm chasing. Knowing all of the storm chasers on that show and having graduated with the same degree as many of them have from the same university that they attended and having a great friendship with them, there is a lot of stuff that was put into the show to make it dramatic. I also know someone who helps write the science portion of MythBusters and, again, there is some stuff that is added to make it more interesting. TV shows are influenced heavily by money and in order to get the most money from advertising they must make the show worthy of viewership.

I will go with Phil's input from an insurance study perspective. He is extremely knowledgeable in vehicle safety and I have more confidence in him that some cable TV show.
    Phis has more of a reason to be honest about it too. As far as he's concerned he would probably rather have someone use a 15 passenger van, it would mean a higher premium for him.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon1 View Post
    Phis has more of a reason to be honest about it too. As far as he's concerned he would probably rather have someone use a 15 passenger van, it would mean a higher premium for him.
    I really appreciate the trust you all have in me, it means a lot to me. However, just as you all as operators should take steps to preseve your insurability, I as an insurance professional must take steps in preserving the reputation I have with the insurance companies and underwriters I work with. If I write bad business with a company or underwriter on a frequent basis, they will cut their ties with me, no differently than you would with a customer that you loose money on.

With that said, while I will insure them, I am picky about whom I work for, we'll use Gunny as an example, he has a proven history of running a loss-free operation with this class of vehicle as well as considerable experience, whereas, I wouldn't touch an operation with low revenue that loads one up with a bunch of people to take them to their dialysis treatment--this is a policy limits claim waiting to happen. I will also voice my concern such as I did this morning with a guy I work for that wanted to add one as an airport shuttle. It was humorous that I am insuring one after talking against their use in the same week. Gunny, his point to me was that it is more economical for him to start with a 15pax van, however he did promise that if his idea works, he will be transitioning to a drw vehicle chassis. At the end of the day, you as an insured are the boss, but should be informed of the risks and available options.

Before the damn lightening knocks me out I'll post some links and quick observations regarding 15pax vans:

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/809735.pdf

In a 5 year period 473 people (drivers & passengers in 15pax's) died in accidents. 265 were from rollover accidents or an average of 53 per year due to rollovers.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/809735.pdf

Reported during July 2002 there are approximately a half million 15 passenger vans on the road.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=93612&page=1

" NHTSA investigators explained that when a van is fully loaded, its center of gravity shifts upward and toward the back, increasing the risk of rollover accidents. However, they also stressed there is nothing wrong with the 15-passenger vans and that drivers should understand their vehicles' limits.

"You have a vehicle that behaves entirely differently than when they are lightly loaded," NHTSA spokesman Rae Tyson told The Associated Press. "There is nothing inherently wrong with these vehicles as long as you understand those characteristics and take that in to account."

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shop...ger+Van+Safety

More reading for those who desire to step beyond simple rhetoric.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill