Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 59

Thread: 15 Passenger Van + Trailer. How do you manage more than 10 passeger +lugg

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Edison NJ
    Posts
    319

    Smile 15 Passenger Van + Trailer. How do you manage more than 10 passeger +lugg

    I just bought a 15 passenger van; I don't know why I never went for it earlier, but I am happy that I have it now. Turns out not a lot of people in the area can do more than 9 passenger plus luggage as no one really has a trailer. I was thinking if I had a good size trailer, I would be able to do 14 passenger + all their lugg. I have never used a trailer myself and I don't know how complex it can get in terms of putting on and removing etc...

    Has anyone used the 15 passenger E-350 Van with a trailer? Any problems, complex situation or trouble? How much is the insurance for the trailer, also I assume I have to register the trailer as "Commercial". Trailer is going to be small that can fit about 30 bags, do I need to put wirings for brake lights and side signal lights?

    I don't get a lot of phone calls where I can use a trailer, but I think I want to purchase this if the set up is easy and try and see if it works out, if it doesn't, I will just get rid of the trailer.

    I wonder if one has a trailer with this van, how many trips do you do per year with a trailer?

    I don't know why, but I am just a bit excited about booking trips for my Van vs my all other vehicles.

    ~Regards
    ~Dee

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hilton Head Island. SC
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluelimos View Post
    I just bought a 15 passenger van; I don't know why I never went for it earlier, but I am happy that I have it now. Turns out not a lot of people in the area can do more than 9 passenger plus luggage as no one really has a trailer. I was thinking if I had a good size trailer, I would be able to do 14 passenger + all their lugg. I have never used a trailer myself and I don't know how complex it can get in terms of putting on and removing etc...

    Has anyone used the 15 passenger E-350 Van with a trailer? Any problems, complex situation or trouble? How much is the insurance for the trailer, also I assume I have to register the trailer as "Commercial". Trailer is going to be small that can fit about 30 bags, do I need to put wirings for brake lights and side signal lights?

    I don't get a lot of phone calls where I can use a trailer, but I think I want to purchase this if the set up is easy and try and see if it works out, if it doesn't, I will just get rid of the trailer.

    I wonder if one has a trailer with this van, how many trips do you do per year with a trailer?

    I don't know why, but I am just a bit excited about booking trips for my Van vs my all other vehicles.

    ~Regards
    ~Dee
    Since I dont have a van but have SUV's is to have another company transport the passengers and I move the luggage with my SUV. The entire party rides together and its seemless plus we both make some money in the long run. Just my opinion.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Edison NJ
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Oak Transportation View Post
    Since I dont have a van but have SUV's is to have another company transport the passengers and I move the luggage with my SUV. The entire party rides together and its seemless plus we both make some money in the long run. Just my opinion.
    Thank you for your input Silver Oak,

    Well I thought of that, but I have a Van and a 7 passenger SUV. If I use the SUV for luggage, I will ruin the interior sooner or later in some ways. Also putting 15-20 large bags in SUV is not an easy task. I can also hire another man/company to come with empty cargo van for luggage, but that will increase the overall price tremendously; I doubt if I will be able to book anything that way having two vehilcles. I am just not sure if this would be comfortable, and cost effective.

    ~Dee

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluelimos View Post
    ... I can also hire another man/company to come with empty cargo van for luggage, but that will increase the overall price tremendously.
    That's when you pass the increase along to the customer. If it cost more to provide... it cost more to enjoy. And you're right... it may not be the most cost effective. I'm pretty sure we all have sent an additional vehicle out, which in turn may gnaw at that single run's profit. But the same thing happens if you need to send out a replacement vehicle in case of a breakdown or accident. Chalk it up, wright it off... move forward.

    As far as how to complex it is; like many things, it's easy when you know how. If there is a U-Haul (or similar) near you, they are usually happy to show you how (it's in their best interest):



    Now, in my opinion they've dragged it out and over-dramatized it. Here's another explanation:



    But both should give you the basic idea.
    Karl Jones

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hilton Head Island. SC
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluelimos View Post
    Thank you for your input Silver Oak,

    Well I thought of that, but I have a Van and a 7 passenger SUV. If I use the SUV for luggage, I will ruin the interior sooner or later in some ways. Also putting 15-20 large bags in SUV is not an easy task. I can also hire another man/company to come with empty cargo van for luggage, but that will increase the overall price tremendously; I doubt if I will be able to book anything that way having two vehilcles. I am just not sure if this would be comfortable, and cost effective.

    ~Dee
    Yes your right you might ruin the inside of the SUV but that would take alot of trips. I have an Expedition and I have easily put 16 large bags and 16 golf bags in the car with no problems and it just takes a few minutes to get packed correctly without ruining in the inside of your car. I would think the trailer would be a pain in the butt and also they would become a target for the state police to do an inspection and no one needs the hassle. Plus you would need all of the lights working correctly on the trailer which is mandatory before you roll out of the yard. Just my thoughts.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    807

    Default

    Silver Oak brings up a valid point that, while I don't recall it being an issue in NJ/NY, in other jurisdictions towing a trailer may bring reduced speed limits, lane restrictions, etc. Not a big whoop, but things to be mindful of nonetheless.
    Karl Jones

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,695

    Default

    Do not rule out a straight cargo van. not only will you give your drivers some oppertunity for more hours you can get in good with funeral homes and florists when they have too many jobs at once.
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

  8. #8
    Super Moderator gunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    5,324

    Default

    For price shoppers can't beat a 15pax + trailer. I have used it since day one and the combo is very popular here (FL) at cruise ports. Selling point is telling callers they can pack the kitchen sink if they want to. Also a plus for those traveling with those electric scooters.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Posts
    2,668

    Default

    14 passenger mini coach with rear luggage makes more sense to me. Everyone can walk to their seat without having to hunch over, plenty of luggage room. Don't need to worry about insurance for trailer/second vehicle.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lou., Ky & all other states
    Posts
    1,147

    Default

    This is one of the most dangerous vehicle combinations on the road. As Tim suggested for comfort reasons, I endorse the use of a 14pax coach for safety reasons. No offense Gunny or Dee, its not you, its the vehicle.

    In regards to insuring a trailer, the cost is very minimal, with many times it being insured for liability automatically when being towed (depends on policy and GVW of trailer), which then leaves the physical damage coverage an option to the insured with minimal cost.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Edison NJ
    Posts
    319

    Default

    // For price shoppers can't beat a 15pax + trailer. I have used it since day one and the combo is very popular here (FL) at cruise ports. Selling point is telling callers they can pack the kitchen sink if they want to. Also a plus for those traveling with those electric scooters. //

    Thanks Gunny, this gives me the boost to go ahead and get the trailer.
    Last edited by bluelimos; June 11th, 2012 at 06:40 AM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Edison NJ
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Limo Insurance King View Post
    This is one of the most dangerous vehicle combinations on the road. As Tim suggested for comfort reasons, I endorse the use of a 14pax coach for safety reasons. No offense Gunny or Dee, its not you, its the vehicle.

    .
    Phil,
    Can you please tell me how this combination is most dangerous. I am always too scared about safety and I certainly do not want to take such chance out of ignorance and run in to accident. The Coach is just too big, I personally don't like to deal with the Coach. With the parking situation we have, it will also not fit well in our lot.

    ~Dee

  13. #13
    Senior Member Bigdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Herculaneum, MO
    Posts
    165

    Default

    It is very easy to forget the trailer is back there, when that happens disaster can strike. If you go ahead just make sure you keep good tires on it and its not a bad Idea to buy one with its own brake system as your bus's brakes with be working with passenger weight.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hilton Head Island. SC
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluelimos View Post
    Phil,
    Can you please tell me how this combination is most dangerous. I am always too scared about safety and I certainly do not want to take such chance out of ignorance and run in to accident. The Coach is just too big, I personally don't like to deal with the Coach. With the parking situation we have, it will also not fit well in our lot.

    ~Dee
    I just thought of this while reading some of the other comments and it dawned on my when I read Phil's last comment. You will have to make sure your trailer is large enough in size to accomdate the luggage gross weight thats going to be in the trailer for the size trailer you have plus the tongue weight on the back of the van. You wouldnt want to be rolling down the highway and have the trailer scrape the ground if you hit a bump in the road. The other comment I have is why wouldnt you want to have a mini-bus with a luggage rack in the back it would seem so much safer and easier especially with parking the van and trailer. Plus squeezing 14 adults into a van is going to be a tight fit for everyone except the lucky sole sitting in the front seat.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lou., Ky & all other states
    Posts
    1,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluelimos View Post
    Phil,
    Can you please tell me how this combination is most dangerous. I am always too scared about safety and I certainly do not want to take such chance out of ignorance and run in to accident. The Coach is just too big, I personally don't like to deal with the Coach. With the parking situation we have, it will also not fit well in our lot.

    ~Dee
    There are a number of reasons that make the 15 passenger van, regardless of make/model, dangerous. Just do a Google search and you will find them. One thing that will stand out at you is the number of personal injury law firms that actually provide advice about their use and advising that they not be used--this speaks volumes to me. All of the variables on their own would make a vehicle dangerous, however with the 15 passenger van, and some 12pax vans, there are a number of things such as high center of gravity, structural design, and physics of their suspension system make this type of vehicle more susceptible to rollover than any other vehicle AND at a lower speed than any other vehicle. Those reasons are inherently present in any of these vehicles, these following reasons add even more to the list: Poor tire maintenance; Poor maintenance program; lack of qualified driver; lack of quality driver training program; Speed. I have seen videos of 15pax vans that have rolled over at speeds less than 30mph.

    Add a trailer to this situation and now you have a dangerous vehicle, that now has even more weight added to the rear of the vehicle.

    If you talk to anyone in the transportation risk management industry about their use, they will encourage you to remove it from operation and replace it with a vehicle built on a bus chassis.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •