Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Towncars a smoking

Thanks, Andy. That was more helpful, I said in my experience they always smoke at startup, but my experience doesn't include seeing them fail. I always got them after they were wasted. It just seemed to me that kslust just wanted some suggestions before looking at the expense of replacing seals. It also seemed like he was saying it just started or he just noticed it. I would suggest the pcv because it is cheap and is also a maintenance item, then if he is always filling them at the same station, try a different place because they may have contaminated fuel, then some seafoam to clean it all out. Plus the thicker oil like you guys said if it is still smoking. I understand his frustration, it doesnt look good to the customers to see that.

Hey bigdan I was just giving examples of smoke and what the reason could be , not saying that's the diagnosis procedure . I did not mean to put false info or offend anyone just trying help OP with his issue . Let's be civil guys !!

Nah, it had nothing to do with you 05execl, no worries.

More symptoms! PCV Valve is saturated with oil, changed it. Still saturated. Doing a leak down test, will come back with results and hopefully a solution.....
    Very Respectfully,

Karl S. Lust

Regal Limousine & Transportation
    Kansas City, Missouri

"If you've ever traveled this good,
    Welcome Back!"

Kansas City Limo - Kansas City Airport Transportation

what year and how many miles on your vehicle ? what weight oil you use ? have you tried lucas or heavier oils?

Blog Entries

what year is your TC?

Results from leak down test; All cylinders with the exception of 1 is only showing 0-5% compression loss. The other cylinder is showing an 18% compression loss and air hisses out of the oil cap?!?! Yeah..... Burned Ring. If anyone else is experiencing an issue like this, I think I have got a fix. Problems 1) Car smokes when pulling away after idle (embarrassing) 2) Car burns about a quart of oil every 7-800 miles. If I can alleviate the problems and not affect the performance then, kool right?? So, I took off the hose from the PCV valve into the throttle body which moves the oil from the engine and into the throttle body and being burned off causing loss of oil and smoke. Plugged the hose fitting on throttle body and added a breather (filter) to the PCV valve. By doing this the oil will go through the PCV valve and be stopped by breather and eventually drain back down, letting no oil blow by into the throttle body. So..... In theory I have alleviated all the problems without sacrificing the performance of the car and MORE importantly having to replace a motor. I have tried it over an hour idling and NO smoke!!!! I will see if any oil is lost during driving, will check stick in about 500 miles?!?!?! Crossing fingers here!!!
    Last edited by kslust; October 1st, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
    Very Respectfully,

Karl S. Lust

Kansas City, Missouri

Welcome Back!"

Quote Originally Posted by O5EXECL View Post
    what year and how many miles on your vehicle ? what weight oil you use ? have you tried lucas or heavier oils?
    Doesn't matter? Yes, I'm using 10w30 now (hoping not to beat up the motor to much).
    Very Respectfully,

Karl S. Lust

Kansas City, Missouri

Welcome Back!"

Have you tried a Nicoderm CQ patch?
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Blog Entries

where do you place the patch? and will the smoke come back once you remove it?
    John M.
    Valley Forge Limousine
    610.990.6800 Option 0

Blog Entries

John, Tim was just joking as the title says my car is SMOKING. So to quit smoking you use Nicoderm CQ patch

Quote Originally Posted by vflllc View Post
    where do you place the patch? and will the smoke come back once you remove it?
    Some people like to put their patches on their shoulder, but that might cause a problem as not all roads you will be traveling on have shoulders. My recommendation is a (control) arm.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Switch to full synthetic, If you are burning oil synthetic will not burn therfore you will have no smoke! Just make sure you check oil at every fill up and top off as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by kslust View Post
    Results from leak down test; All cylinders with the exception of 1 is only showing 0-5% compression loss. The other cylinder is showing an 18% compression loss and air hisses out of the oil cap?!?! Yeah..... Burned Ring. If anyone else is experiencing an issue like this, I think I have got a fix. Problems 1) Car smokes when pulling away after idle (embarrassing) 2) Car burns about a quart of oil every 7-800 miles. If I can alleviate the problems and not affect the performance then, kool right?? So, I took off the hose from the PCV valve into the throttle body which moves the oil from the engine and into the throttle body and being burned off causing loss of oil and smoke. Plugged the hose fitting on throttle body and added a breather (filter) to the PCV valve. By doing this the oil will go through the PCV valve and be stopped by breather and eventually drain back down, letting no oil blow by into the throttle body. So..... In theory I have alleviated all the problems without sacrificing the performance of the car and MORE importantly having to replace a motor. I have tried it over an hour idling and NO smoke!!!! I will see if any oil is lost during driving, will check stick in about 500 miles?!?!?! Crossing fingers here!!!

You may want to try pouring about 4-5 ounces of top engine cleaner down the spark plug hole of the offending cylinder and letting it soak for 2 hours, it could be a carbon sticky piston ring. Your pcv fix is very unconventional. Steve

So............ Yay!!!! No smokey!!!! I managed to stop the smoking, but it does still burn a little oil, about 1.5 quarts in a 3000 mile period?!?! Breather replacing the PCV hose is working pretty good!

1) I will try that "Top Engine Cleaner" bit.
    2) What do you mean "Unconventional"? I thought it was a pretty good idea?!?! It seems to help at least even if not completely fixing the problem.

P.S. I love the Nicoderm Patch Bit!! LMAO!
    Very Respectfully,

Karl S. Lust

Kansas City, Missouri

Welcome Back!"