Thread: ca livery plate rules.

Default ca livery plate rules.

ok guys , i have seen many limos and sedans with valid tcp's that go through airports that have basic commercial plates, not livery. iv searched the forum and read some say that you only need livery plates if your going to the airport .. so does that mean you can get regular commercial plates for non airport sedans and limos? i know sfo and lax are strict but im referring to the greater sacramento area . currently in the taxi business, looking to get into limo as well. thank you

Instead of searching internet forums for answers to this type of question, I would suggest contacting the PUC. I'm sure they have all sorts of information on their website, and if you don't find an answer there, I'm sure your could call them for clarification.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Blog Entries

Or join the California Limousine Association.

Why not just get it? What are you trying to skirt around? I do not even think there is a fee for one!

Are you not going to do airport work?

Gonna feel stupid when that wedding you are doing asks you to go pick up aunt Millie fro the airport and you say sorry i can't.

And I think you only see the Commercial plates because you first have to register the car as a commercial vehicles, get plates, then apply for the livery plates wait for those then surrender your commercial plates for the livery plates. That used to take 3 months or so before the budget mess, who knows how long now.
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

thanks for the responses guys ! im not trying to do anything fishy just trying to understand everything with puc and all the rules. i have more questions for ya guys later on .. do just bear with me !

In CA when you apply for your tcp# you have to fill out a vehicle inventory sheet. For each vehicle that qualifies as a limousine you will get a letter from the PUC to take to DMV that will get you livery plates. You give them the letter and turn in your commercial plates. They will issue you a temporary paper license you tape to the inside of your back window. Its good for 90 days. You will get the livery plates in the mail. Mine took about a month. There is no cost to you.

Cars need to be under livery plate in order to enter airports? Is my understanding correct?

Yes!!!
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com