Thread: craftsman 130"

Default craftsman 130"

I know craftsman is now out of biz, I'm wondering if there are any tricks to getting the rear AC to work, I found the AC box in the rear under the seat, is there a way to re-charge this or what am I gonna have to do? the heat is in the same unit and it is poor as well, I know i need to clean it out and it may heat better, (96 tc) any help or ideas?

Sorry noone could help. I am not familiar with the unit but I will try to help. Is it and independent unit (separate electric compressor) or does the evaporator have piping that goes back to the front of the vehicle where it intersects with the stock a/c piping?

thank you, it has piping going to the front,

Does the front ac work? If so, does one pipe and the rear evaporator get cold?
    Last edited by Bigdan; April 30th, 2012 at 03:01 PM.

I don't think you got an answer here because nobody knows much about this system. It is an older car (nothing wrong with that) and Craftsman isn't something a lot of us own anymore. As for just A/C under the hood, that is pretty universal from car to car and isn't specific to one particular limo.

Have you had a mechanic look at it? Do you have pictures to post?
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

I have looked around, but no one here in SLC, Utah, want to look at it, everyone is afraid of them, I did find out today thou that it needs a new rear heat/ac unit, thru a custom van builder, thanks guys 4 your help. I didn't mean to be a dick about it,

I doubt it needs a new rear unit. I'm not a mechanic, but have been screwed over by enough of them to know a thing or two. So dont let someone tell you to start replacing expensive parts, they are probably just guessing. first, check to see if the evaporator has a manufacturer's tag on it. If it,s Mannex, your in luck, they have great customer service.Also check their website for pressure amounts. 99% of mechanics dont know a damn thing about limo ac, problem is none will admit it, so they will waste your money and give you back a hot limo and a big bill.
    #1 Something this old could still use freon,but it probably has been converted to 134a - check it out, they are not compatible.
    #2 Low on refridgerant, dont go by the sticker, it was put there before it was stretched. Go by the chart from Mannex's website.
    #3 Leaks, check every fitting under the hood, frame and seat for oil or grime,this is a sign of a leak. Something 14 years old probably has several.
    #3 Expansion tube and accumulator dryer, located next to evaporator under seat, about $30 each, replace them.
    #4 Auxillary condensor fan

Like I said, mechanics are stupid when it comes to limo AC.Try a radiator shop, they have the most knowledge about leaks. Make sure your mechanic has grey hair, you dont want some young wet behind the ears mechanic using your car for on the job training!!!!!

It has ice cold front air, and only 1 compressor, I can see the hose that runs to the rear but then im lost, he says i need a new unit and he will install it for 1,400... I think its high..

Cost for an evaporator is about $300. See Mannex or MTG's website. There are no parts to wear out on a evaporator, it could be plugged, but the expansion valve will plug up first, and then the accumulator-dryer, both $29.95 parts. Get a second, third,fourth opinion. Also, it could be electrical, some (not all) limos have a solenoid valve. Check your fuse board could be a fuse or the solenoid itself. Your mechanic could be right, but in 15 years I've never heard of replacing an evaporator, and $1400 is alot to spend if he's wrong.
    Last edited by excaliberlimo; April 30th, 2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Let's not trash the mechanics, young and inexpirienced is bad but so is old and closed minded. Limo a/c isnt much different than dual factory a/c in a minivan, they use alot of the same components. If the a/c is cold in front and the rear evaporator with tisnt getting cold, then 99% of the time it is the expansion valve is stuck closed. The reason is all the diy guys who constantly refill the system themselves which theres nothing wrong that except they never change the filter/dryer and they usually don't have access to a vacuum pump, so all that moisture is cycling with the refrigerant and rusting the expansion valve and when winter comes around and the a/c is kept off, the valve eventually gets stuck. Mechanics are like anything else, if youre good at something you get good reputation.

Let's not trash the mechanics, young and inexpirienced is bad but so is old and closed minded. Limo a/c isnt much different than dual factory a/c in a minivan, they use alot of the same components. If the a/c is cold in front and the rear evaporator isn't getting cold, then 99% of the time it is the expansion valve is stuck closed. The reason is all the diy guys who constantly refill the system themselves which theres nothing wrong that except they never change the filter/dryer and they usually don't have access to a vacuum pump, so all that moisture is cycling with the refrigerant and rusting the expansion valve and when winter comes around and the a/c is kept off, the valve eventually gets stuck. Mechanics are like anything else, if youre good at something you get good reputation.