Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Providing CDs and DVDs for clients

Senior Member Limo Padawan

Question: Do you provide any music CDs or DVDs for clients? Sometimes clients bring along something they want to listen to or watch. Other times they don't and they ask if there is any music available. I personally have a huge collection of music CDs and DVDs. I would not mind making them available to clients while we are providing services to them. But I don't like the idea of them scratching things up. Even if it's just normal wear and tear.

For those of you that do provide stuff like this to your customers. How do you handle it?

One of the ideas I has was that I could make copies of all of my stuff. Then that way if they ruined a disk I could just make another copy. But I worry that the clients would think I'm a big pirate if I hand them a big book of burned CDs and DVDs.

Any suggestions?

==============

Check out my Limo blog where I tell all about our first year of business.

Member Limo Padawan

Making copys for them to use is not the right way to go. It is called copyright. Make them supply there own. When you loan them out, they have a problem of walking away. I know, I lost a few. Now everyone brings there own.
    CL-1

We have found that satellite radio works great to address many issues.
    1) Passengers can choose from a wide variety of music without having to bring CD's.
    2) Fewer hassles about them leaving CD's in the car.
    3) There is always the perfect music for changes in mood/circumstance no matter the event or passenger taste.
    4) People are impressed that we are so technologically up to date - another "WOW" factor.
    5) We don't invest in a huge CD library and keep updating it with the latest music(?) risking theft, damage and negligence to the collection, let alone storage, tracking, etc.
    6) Consistent reception quality wherever we travel in any weather conditions.
    7) For mcuh less than the cost of one CD per month you have access to nearly 100 different music channels, plus news, sports, weather, financial, talk radio, etc.

We subscribe to Sirius, but have also used XM. Each has advantages but best to stick with one for all vehicles. Check into it rather than risking or pirating your CD's
    Marc Rold
    Wild Horse Limousine
    www.wildhorselimo.com

I do not think copyright is an issue here since you are not selling the CD's. It would be a nice service to offer but just be aware it may end up being more trouble than it is worth in terms of keeping it updated, theft, CD copying effort. BUt yea definately make copies, to not take along the origionals, keep them safe you paid a lot of money for thoes.

I myself would just pick about 5 real popular CD's 1 from each style of music and take those along, couldn't hurt.

Or if you really wanted to get detailed on it create a mix tape (CD) sort of thing with all the most popular songs on one CD. I actually carry around some of those that people have made and left behind in the limo. Someone usually does like all the latest cool rap songs and puts them on one CD for thier night out. But I have yet to have anyone request them.

The satilite radio sounds like a good idea and may become the standard after a while. You may also want to consider fitting your limo radio with the capibility to patch in an Ipod so people can bring thier own music that way. I have had 2 requests for that in the past few years but have not investigated the effort behind it to add it to our steroe systems.

Here is what I have wrote on the subject in the past:

> Does anyone offer a type of music?
    Some drivers carry a catalog of CD's for their clients. I myself have never been asked for any so I do not know how much they use them. I would think it would be quite an investment to keep it up to date with all the latest music. I do however always remind people when I greet them at the pick up that they are free to bring along their favorite CD. Because I heard to many times "oh I wish we would have brought that CD" so it's nice to remind them it's an often forgotten item.

What I do though is set the radio to the type of run I am doing and keep it at a low enough volume so they know it's on but can still hear me. Something like:
    Corporate airport run = AM News Radio station
    Funeral = Classical or easy listening station
    Concert = whatever genre the concert is find that genres station (symphony, country, rock, rap, classic rock)
    Party's = top 40 station usually latest hits of the day

On the topic on entertainment it is nice to have a children's DVD or VHS tape to keep any young kids entertained on trips (even short trips). The parents appreciate that. I am currently sporting the Sponge Bob Square pants DVD.
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

Senior Member Limo Padawan

Awesome suggestions. I think I'll do satellite radio and I can provide an IPOD connection.

For the movies. I'll keep some kids stuff in the cars for just in case. Over all with these 3 ideas it's much better than doing a bunch of copying. I also didn't want any customers to think I was pirating because it was copies. I'm very anal about that. One of the companies I own produces software and the first time someone pirated one our applications...... You could say I found religion when it comes to owning the software or music etc.

==============

Check out my Limo blog where I tell all about our first year of business.

I see that iPods have already been mentioned, but you may want to consider doing more than just providing access for clients if you already have a big music liabrary.

Put all of your music on an MP3 player, iPod, or like device. Most newer radios and stereo systems have an input so these devices can be easily attached.

Either control it from the front, or have the drive affixed in the back. Either way, it is a relatively inexpensive upgrade. You con store literally thousands upon thousands of songs.

Of course this will only work for audio content. The DVDs are another issue; those you may just have to risk if you want to offer the service.

Satellite or I-Pod is great. Many years ago (early 90's) we were members of Columbia Music and BMG and bought about 5 CD's a month for the cars.

I am sure my chauffeur's from the 90's had great music collections as those CD's always seemed to walk away and no one knew what happeneded to them.

Hardly worth the trouble and money I invested. It will never make or break whether you keep a client or not.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Member Limo Padawan

Markee,

I have 4 stretches and found that keeping CD's in all would be expensive and they do walk away so I to invested in Sirius for all the cars/trucks and my customers love it. Yes it is costly, but it adds to the experience. I found it has the stations for the nights out, Spas, Weddings, All ages enjoy something from it and I dont have to worry somethings gone at the end of the night. The DVD's I simply suggest if theres something they would like to watch feel free to bring it with them and I keep a small collection in the front with the driver avail. upon request.Good luck

Daniel Lewis

Hardly worth the trouble and money I invested. It will never make or break whether you keep a client or not.
    I think what Jim wrote there is key and I agree for the most part. The only thing I think could be a competative advantage is the Ipod connection. If a person (probly younger person) has bought their entire music selection online and have no CD copies of it and they have to decide between 2 limos companies and given everything else being equal (price, quality) of course they will select the one where they could use thier own music.

But on the other hand I do not think this is an item that will command top dollar because you have it, It's just one of those nice things that make the limo rental experience a little nicer. You add up enough of those little things and all of a sudden it becomes a big thing.

So to me the Ipod connection makes sence because
    1. Cheap to install and maintain (low investment, no maintinance, low risk of breakage)
    2. no monthly subscription
    3. Music is personal (people like thier own)

Salicete I liked your idea also of actually supplying the Ipod but I have my reserations about it. First if you want to do it for your one vehicle and already have and keep a large music selection for your personal use I think that's fine (and cost effective) to do with one vehicle. But where it gets into a gray area as far as copyright infringement is when you do this in multiple vehicles all copying from from the same source CD. The theory behind making copies of CD's is this. You buy a CD you are allowed to make a copy of it for your own enjoyment. That means really you can only be listining to that album one at a time. Example: if your listining to the copy in your car the original at home is not being listened to at that moment. To stay within the legal copyright parameters for each Ipod you put in a vehicle you should have original copies of the cd's (one per vehicle) back in the office. so you have 3 cars and want to put a Beatles album on each ipod you should buy three copies of the original CD. And of course that could get expensive. Or in turn you should fill up your ipod online buy buying each song for .99 cents for each Ipod. 400 song $400.00 each ipod.

OF course this discussion is purely an exercise as we all know no one would really follow the rules to the letter like that. It's just that it's Grammy weekend here in LA and you can bet we would get those questions when an artist got into our cars and saw his work on one of the ipods. His next question would be: Hey man how many cars your company have? Is my CD in all of them? Hope I got paid for that!

Then some other downfalls I see:
    We already have eneough risk of stuff getting stolen from our limos by thiefs - why put more in there for them to rip out.
    We already have enough things that can break and cause a repair bill with our cars why add another.
    You would have to train your old technology challanged drivers (I include myself in that crowd at 35) how to use them so they could show the clients. I mean damn I already have to write them up a cheat sheet on how to play a DVD in our Krystal limos becase you have to use 2 remote controls to do it and they get all flustered!

But it would be cool no doubt to have play lists that people could select from on the ipod you could set them up like:
    Batchelorette Party Hip Hop - All songs about empowering strong women and love and respect
    Batchelor Part Hip Hop - All songs about biaches and ho's shaking thier butt's and droping it to the flo

Oh yea that sounds like a good time blaring at the back of my head! LOL
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

Blog Entries

I just had clients in the Hummer on Saturday that own a local car dealership (one of the largest in Dayton) and guess what, they took my fireplace DVD with them when they left. That's the 3rd fireplace vid I've lost this year so yes, I burn copies of it. If I had purchased a new one each time it was stolen I'd have to quit offerring the fireplace service, which is too cool not to have. I'm not going to lose 18 bucks per run. I do plan to change my contract to cover a replacement fee for the DVD and also plan to print DVD labels stating the amount charged if stolen, maybe they will read that and put it back in the DVD player.

Blog Entries

Digger:

If you make copies of it anyways why not just make it complimentary. What does a blank CD amount to a couple bucks at most? Put a label on it to the efects of "Compliments of Premier Limousine" yadda yaddaa, advertisement.

If you are worried about copyright, just take a 5 minute shot of your fireplace at home and loop it for a couple hours. You can do this @ home with your own movie maker editing software (under $100) and camcorder - and then you will have the software to do other promo videos for weddings, etc and send out the CD's, essentially making your own commercials. The software out there today makes it easy for us as operators to do these things and not pay a fortune to get it done. A little readin of the manual and you are good to go.

I know that was a little off topic guys, sorry.

Jim

Member Limo Padawan

The very first thing we do when we buy a limousine from the States is to remove the cd and dvd player from the rear to the front of the limousine AND make sure the divider etc can not be operated from the rear of the limousine. Problem solved.

Member Limo Padawan

Does the copyright law apply if you are just making a copy for your own use? It is a copy not for sale or give away promational item. I found if it looks like a plain disc copy that it stays in the vehicle and does not walk off. The real thing has legs and runs off. Making you own promational video and tapes are away a good idea.

Blog Entries

Actually, my copied vids already have promo ads on them, I make full-color labels with fancy print, H2 and Lincoln pics right on them. It really doesn't bother me if they walk away, it just takes a few extra minutes to burn a new one from the original. What bothers me is people take them that I KNOW can afford to buy thier own. As for copies, I don't mind burning them no matter what the law says, it's my money buying new ones so I'll burn'em. As for vids, I've been making my own for quite some time, even made a few for corporate presentations for companies in my area. Commercials and other short vids are actually easy to make if you have the right software/hardware. Personally I use Pinnacle MovieBoxDV.

Hollywood - I hope that was a joke. That privacy panel means a lot to business people traveling who don't wish their private business discussions to be heard by the chauffeur. Not that we can't hear anyway. And, a two hour trip with no music - blah!
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com