Thread: Getting ready to launch! Your opinions are appreciated

Default Getting ready to launch! Your opinions are appreciated

So this is my attempt at a website. I was able to find a free template that I liked, and have spent the past month or two completely tweaking it. At first I couldn't get it to work in IE, but I was finally able to get that quirk fixed up.

Please note, the images do look skewed.. The template I had has the images a certain size. When the site is ready to launch, I will have pictures of the completed bus and they wont look all skewed like they do now. I just wanted them in there for place holders so I could get a visual of the layout and everything.

Thanks for any opinions!

http://www.MSPpartybus.com/test
    Dylan Corbett
    612.568.PLAT (7528)
    Platinum Transportation Services, LLC
    DylanC@MSPpartybus.com
    Minneapolis Party Bus

Cant get in from a government site.

Web Page Blocked

Malicious or inappropriate material was found on this Web page and access to the content was blocked. JPL blocks access to Web pages containing malicious or inappropriate material to minimize network intrusions and viruses. JPL subscribes to a Web filtering service which blocks users from accessing content or Web sites containing known malicious or inappropriate material (similar to the list provided by anti-virus and spam definition vendors).
    If you believe this site has been incorrectly blocked, please submit a ... to the JPL Service Desk or call 818-35
    Please provide the following information on the Web Form: Title: "Web Page Blocked" and copy the information below into the notes of the service request or provide it to the Service Desk:
    User:
    Web page address (URL): http:__www.msppartybus.com_test
    Category: unknown
    Steve Walker ppvsteve@gmail.com

Looks clean and works on an iPad. I did notice some things that are not website related of which you should be made aware. The first thing I noticed was that you allow smoking on the bus. Reading through Minnesota's Clean Indoor Air Act, that appears to be illegal. Public Transportation vehicles, which includes taxis, limos, and other for-hire vehicles, are to be smoke-free and no exemption is provided in any circumstance while operating for hire. http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/e.../ftb/mciaa.pdf .

Another thing I noticed was the 5% service charge for accepting credit cards. You need to read through your merchant agreement as this may be in violation of the contract you signed with your CC processor.

Third, why are you charging double the rate per hour if they go over their initial reserved time slot? To me, this would cause people to want to stick to their specified times and not extend their rental. As long as it doesn't interfere with other reservations, I love it when people go over and extend their rental as it is more money in my pocket at a very nominal cost.

Explain to me how a "Block Rental" is different from the 3- and 5- hour minimums and are deserving of being charged at a higher rate. I thought that a 5-hour minimum at $125 an hour was already a block rental. This is one of those things where I am in the industry and I'm not sure what you mean so how is the general public going to have any idea what you mean?

I hope that helps in building a strong business.
    Last edited by BLVD Limo; April 7th, 2012 at 02:44 AM.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Quote Originally Posted by brandon1 View Post
    Looks pretty good. You need your phone # in the header so it's easy to find.
    Good call! Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post

Web Page Blocked

Malicious or inappropriate material was found on this Web page and access to the content was blocked. JPL blocks access to Web pages containing malicious or inappropriate material to minimize network intrusions and viruses. JPL subscribes to a Web filtering service which blocks users from accessing content or Web sites containing known malicious or inappropriate material (similar to the list provided by anti-virus and spam definition vendors).
    If you believe this site has been incorrectly blocked, please submit a ... to the JPL Service Desk or call 818-35
    Please provide the following information on the Web Form: Title: "Web Page Blocked" and copy the information below into the notes of the service request or provide it to the Service Desk:
    User:
    That is weird. I will try and do some research. I have no idea why in the world it would be blocked?

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    Looks clean and works on an iPad. I did notice some things that are not website related of which you should be made aware. The first thing I noticed was that you allow smoking on the bus. Reading through Minnesota's Clean Indoor Air Act, that appears to be illegal. Public Transportation vehicles, which includes taxis, limos, and other for-hire vehicles, are to be smoke-free and no exemption is provided in any circumstance while operating for hire. http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/e.../ftb/mciaa.pdf .

Another thing I noticed was the 5% service charge for accepting credit cards. You need to read through your merchant agreement as this may be in violation of the contract you signed with your CC processor.

Third, why are you charging double the rate per hour if they go over their initial reserved time slot? To me, this would cause people to want to stick to their specified times and not extend their rental. As long as it doesn't interfere with other reservations, I love it when people go over and extend their rental as it is more money in my pocket at a very nominal cost.

Explain to me how a "Block Rental" is different from the 3- and 5- hour minimums and are deserving of being charged at a higher rate. I thought that a 5-hour minimum at $125 an hour was already a block rental. This is one of those things where I am in the industry and I'm not sure what you mean so how is the general public going to have any idea what you mean?

I hope that helps in building a strong business.
    You really bring up some great points. I did just did deeper into the merchant agreement and you are correct. I will be removing that wording. Is there a better way to discourage people from using a credit card?

As far as the smoking goes.. I guess I was just going by what all the other buses do around here. I have been on numerous ones that allow smoking, and even say so on their website as well?

As far as overtime.. that is another great point. I guess when I was thinking about it, I was writing, assuming it would be interfering with another rental. What do you usually do in that case?

You are correct about the difference in block rental. Sometimes I think I shouldn't be allowed to work on things late at night. My brain tends to start going in so many different directions.

Thanks again for your feedback. I really do appreciate it.
    Dylan Corbett
    612.568.PLAT (7528)
    DylanC@MSPpartybus.com
    Minneapolis Party Bus

As for the payment option of cash versus credit card, for me, the price is the price regardless of payment option. Most of my clients pay via CC. The cost of accepting CCs is accounted for in my pricing. Honestly, I like it when people pay via credit card because then I don't have to worry about having to collect at the time of service, having to make change, or being a target for theft because it is known that I have a large sum of cash on me. If you still would like them to pay cash, you might be able to offer a cash discount. The wording in the merchant accout contracts can be tricky and may not allow you to add a charge for accepting credit cards but may still allow you to offer a discount on cash transactions. Read it carefully!

As for the smoking thing, it looks like that law was just passed last year so the other companies may not even be aware of it. Don't do something just because another company does it. My advice is to follow the law. Plus, I would think that a bunch of smoke could harm your electronic equipment and shorten its life. Also, you may end up with a passenger that is allergic to cigarette smoke and your bus will be the only one that she won't have a reaction to since no remnants of the smoke will be left in any carpet or upholstery.

Now, in regards to overtime, make it clear that you cannot guarantee overtime. If another party has reserved the vehicle at a later time on the day, you need to be there and the first party needs to understand that the two reservations for the two parties were placed at times such that they would not interfere with each other based on the reserved times. It doesn't happen very often that a big issue in this area occurs, but it does happen. The vehicle was reserved for a certain time frame and you made other arrangements based on that. People need to be understanding and respectful of that. Simply stated, overtime from the originally reserved time cannot always be guaranteed, however if there isn't any interference with a later reservation, I say push overtime as much as you can!
    Last edited by BLVD Limo; April 7th, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

Oh, and as for the "Block Rentals," I think what you should probably say is "Premium Dates such as prom, football games, NASCAR races, New Year's Eve, etc., will be charged at $150 per hour with a XX-hour minimum."
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

The best way to avoid credit card fees is to talk them into doing an authorization. You just put a hold on $X amount on their credit card and you void it after their trip. I only do this for week of trips because some credit card companies they expire quicker than others. Most of the time when someone trashes your bus they are usually the kind of people whos credit card gets declined, so you already have an authorization you can capture instead of getting nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post

Web Page Blocked

User:
    I just got to thinking.. Does the system your using block facebook? Our website has a facebook "like box" on the front page. Do you think that would have anything to do with it? I mean there is no offensive or inappropriate content anywhere on the site except for references to a party bus? None of the images are offensive.
    Dylan Corbett
    612.568.PLAT (7528)
    DylanC@MSPpartybus.com
    Minneapolis Party Bus

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post

Now, in regards to overtime, make it clear that you cannot guarantee overtime. If another party has reserved the vehicle at a later time on the day, you need to be there and the first party needs to understand that the two reservations for the two parties were placed at times such that they would not interfere with each other based on the reserved times. It doesn't happen very often that a big issue in this area occurs, but it does happen. The vehicle was reserved for a certain time frame and you made other arrangements based on that. People need to be understanding and respectful of that. Simply stated, overtime from the originally reserved time cannot always be guaranteed, however if there isn't any interference with a later reservation, I say push overtime as much as you can!
    Good advice Tim. What I tell the customers is that this is why we will not take a deposit without a beginning and end time to put on the contract. I tell them that if at any time after they accept the contract they want to change the times it will be dependent on our availability - this is why we will not accept a deposit without an itinerary. I tell them that even if they decide that night that they want to change the times, they will have to ask the chauffeur to see if he/she has another reservation after theirs (many people do not realize cleanup time for the morning's run or that we run AP runs 24/7). This also gives the chauffeur the chance to say "no" if the group is leaning to becoming an "out-of-control" group.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Didn't have too much time right now, but quick check there are several stucture issues on the code on the home page preventing it from validating, some samples:
    Closing </p> tag in the middle of a list
    closing </font> tag when no opening one was used (and they shouldn't be anyhow now)
    use of <center> tags

Also, at first I hit your site, I had javascript shut off, and saw that completely breaks your contact us page.

-Greg
    Last edited by Greg K; April 7th, 2012 at 06:44 PM.