Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Kid on The Block

Keep in mind that "heavy machinery", "heavy equipment" and "commercial vehicle" are not necessarily interchangeable terms.
    Karl Jones

Texas Intra-state CDL Requirements

What's the difference between an interstate CDL and an intrastate CDL?

Texas offers both interstate and intrastate CDLs. The requirements for intrastate (Texas-only) licenses are less strict than the federally controlled interstate licenses. Intrastate drivers do not need to speak English, and the medical requirements are less stringent.You can get an intrastate CDL at the age of 18. To be licensed to drive a commercial vehicle across state lines, however, you need to be at least 21.

Addtionally - school buses - except for the School bus endorsement, requirements for a commercial passenger vehicle are the same.

School Bus

You must:
    • Be at least 18 years old.

• Have a commercial driver's license (CDL) along with school bus and passenger endorsements.

• Pass annual physical fitness and mental health exams.

• Pass a background check on your criminal record.

• Own a certificate proving that you're either enrolled in or have successfully completed a course in school bus safety education

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    Pretty sure that driving a vehicle for work under the age of 18 is against federal law. You cannot operate heavy machinery until you are 18.
    Now that I think about it, I do not believe I started working there until I was 17/18 (my birthday is in July). I remember working for my uncle building houses and driving to work then, so it must have been one more summer. Either way, I was under 23 - that I know because I didn't start working for the company I work for now until I was 20. Thanks for the flush-out Tim!
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Keep in mind that "heavy machinery", "heavy equipment" and "commercial vehicle" are not necessarily interchangeable terms.
    . I understand that, but you still cannot legally drive for work under the age of 18 unless it is a farm.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

I posted a link yesterday to Texas state law regarding CDLs but it appears to have not been approved by the moderator. Texas law is that you can obtain a CDL and drive a commercial passenger vehicle, including school buses, or any other vehicle in-state, at 18. Federal law says you cannot cross a state line until you are 21. With the original poster being stationed a long way from any state line, he can operate legally. Whether he can find insurance may be another matter between him and his insurance carrier.

These links are available if anybody wants to see them.

Texas is, in a lot of ways, it's own country with it's own laws.

Hope this clears up some misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    . I understand that, but you still cannot legally drive for work under the age of 18 unless it is a farm.
    Oops - Meant TRUE! Not enough coffee earlier this morning. Sorry Tim.
    Last edited by ausultimate; March 6th, 2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Bad eyes, no coffee.