Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Kid on The Block

Default New Kid on The Block

Hey, everybody. My name is Richard (Ricky) Reeves. I'm in the process of founding a company called Feeling Lucky Party Buses. We are in the process of building our first unit now. We are building a "hybrid", if you will, in order to appeal to the mardi gras scene down here in Galveston, Texas. Our builder has been doing this for 45 years, so we're in good hands, same guy who built my rat rod . Anyway, I'm a virgin to this business and at 19 years old, I have a lot to learn, so any pointers, tips, etc, will be very appreciated. Any questions feel free to ask. Thanks!

First and foremost, WELCOME!

Secondly, do you have drivers for the bus? As I think you need to be 23 to drive party buses, or at least that's what I think especially when it comes to insurance. Not to mention the whole CDL deal with passenger endorsement. Make sure you research the licensing and such for your area before you dive in head first! I know you will need USDOT if the capacity of the vehicle is going to be greater than 16. Good luck though, I remember hearing on here somewhere that another operator started at 16 and wasn't even able to drive his own vehicle, but he's still in business today (I think he may be in his 40's now....) All in all, Welcome!!! You have some of the greatest minds here collaborating, whenever you get a chance make sure you pick their brains!
    Very Respectfully,

Karl S. Lust

Regal Limousine & Transportation
    Kansas City, Missouri

"If you've ever traveled this good,
    Welcome Back!"

Kansas City Limo - Kansas City Airport Transportation

Thank you for the welcome and for the insight. I've spoken with Phil Brun (Limo Insurance King) and he seems like an awesome guy, he's been really helpful and I look forward to working with him. He's covered all those things with me. As far as drivers go, we haven't looked for anyone just yet, the original plan was for us to drive it. But my partner and I are both getting our CDL's within the next month. Any tips for the newbie?

Blog Entries

You can drive the bus at the age of 18 if you have a cdl intrastate but need to be 21 to travel interstate.

As for the insurance anything or anyone can be insured, it is just how much you want to pay???

Quote Originally Posted by LIMOJESS View Post
    You can drive the bus at the age of 18 if you have a cdl intrastate but need to be 21 to travel interstate.

As for the insurance anything or anyone can be insured, it is just how much you want to pay???
    Did not know that, I suppose living on a border and nearly 50% of the trips are interstate, didn't know you could get CDL @ 18, just assumed. Good to know though!
    Very Respectfully,

Karl S. Lust

Regal Limousine & Transportation
    Kansas City, Missouri

"If you've ever traveled this good,
    Welcome Back!"

Kansas City Limo - Kansas City Airport Transportation

Welcome to the forum Ricky and thank you for the kinds words! As Karl mentioned this forum has many highly experienced operators to rely on for help.

Thanks for the welcomes and the info guys. But as far as interstate goes, the nearest boarder to me is Louisiana, which is about 150 miles, so that's not going to happen. I'm working on getting my CDL now, even if I end up not driving the bus, it'll still be a nice thing to have. It's a CDL intrastate with a passenger endorsement, correct?

That's correct Ricky - you can get a CDL in Texas at 18. You will need the passenger endorsement and you can do all that at once when you take the road test.

I know from my past most company's will not insure a driver under 23 to drive trucks. Phill can tell you more about age & rates with driving buses. May be different if you own but are not driving yet and have an already licensed driver operate the bus for you for a while.

Well, If I pay 30k a year more for insurance, wouldn't it be the same if i paid someone 30k a year as a driver? I'm just trying to weigh y options.. I mean our bus is still being built but I like to plan ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Reeves View Post
    Well, If I pay 30k a year more for insurance, wouldn't it be the same if i paid someone 30k a year as a driver? I'm just trying to weigh y options.. I mean our bus is still being built but I like to plan ahead.
    No, because you can use that time while the driver is out to market and build your business.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    I know from my past most company's will not insure a driver under 23 to drive trucks. Phill can tell you more about age & rates with driving buses. May be different if you own but are not driving yet and have an already licensed driver operate the bus for you for a while.
    I worked for a company (that included driving pickup trucks) starting at 16 and worked for them until I was 20 (got Class B endorsement while working there and drove their dump trucks intrastate). I then started working for a another company that had semi-truck dump trucks which I got my Class A before I was 21. I drove their straight trucks intrastate until I was 21 which then I started driving interstate and have been since. I would think how good your insurance broker is, how good your business plan is, and how good of a company overall you are would all be factors.
    Last edited by Cedar Mill Limousine; March 4th, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Pretty sure that driving a vehicle for work under the age of 18 is against federal law. You cannot operate heavy machinery until you are 18.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    No, because you can use that time while the driver is out to market and build your business.
    Tims advice is right on target.

I was operating heavy equipment when I was 16 and have never heard of a law that procludes someone that age running the piece of equipment and sold that company about 8 years ago. My story is the same I got my cdl working a company driving trucks and then got my passenger endorsement with a destination management company who had mini buses.