Thread: Take a look at my new site

Default Take a look at my new site

Its still a work in progress and has been improved vastly so let me know what you think..........

http://silveroaktransportation.net

Thanks

Kevin

Hi Kevin, here is an evaluation from a web developer's standpoint:

1. The page relies on Javascript. Without it, I see a white screen with only "Owner Login". While it is true that most people do browse with Javascript enabled, all it takes is ONE thing to glitch on the page, and it kills all javascript, thus killing your site. For example, while I was on it, at one point something glitched and the [X] close buttons didn't work, and I had to completely refresh the page to get it working again.

2. Having a single page for a website has big disadvantages for SEO and marketing standpoints. The big issue is that search engines will NOT be able to find all of your content. Want to see an example of what they see, try this viewer:
    http://www.domaintools.com/seo-brows...tion.net%2F%23
    As you can see, you have links to your other pages, but to a search engine, they just don't work, so only your home page information is actually indexed. Even if you had all the content of the other sections on the home page for search bots to see, with only one actual URL, all the content would be weighed together. Say I googled "Wedding Transportation Hilton Head", your rankings for that would be low compared to if you had an actual URL that was specif about your wedding services.

3. Additionally, people are used to hitting the BACK button. It doesn't work on your site, which may cause the visitor to keep clicking it again and again till they back out of your site.

4. The page itself doesn't validate, when you are done working on the site, make sure it validates (see http://validator.w3.org/)

5. The "Owner login" and the flyout for GoDaddy advertising are not needed and a distraction from your site. I'm assuming the ad is there because you are maybe using a free version of their builder, so when you have it all done, consider do what is needed to get rid of them.

6. You should have your phone number and a general service area clearly defined, preferable as text towards the top of each page. Visitors want information quick and easily found. As it stands, they have to go through and scan though content to get both of these, or click onto other sections.

7. Centered text, especially when it comes to a list, is a lot harder to read. Compare the content for "Weddings" to that of "Affiliates"

8. You have your own domain, the use of @hotmail, @gmail, @yahoo are just not as professional (especially when you can get your domain email set up though gmail anyhow)

9. Normally I would run a program that checks all of the site for links, keyword density, spelling, etc but since you have a non-crawlable site, wasn't gonna do any good.

10. On to visually... The contact us page text is way smaller than the rest of the site. The look and feel of a site should remain constant across all pages, unless you are specifically making a sub section that is to stand out separately.

11. The overall look of the site, to me, just doesn't say a luxury transportation company, it feels more gloomy. Defiantly need some pictures to bring it to life if you are going to keep the same general look.

12. Again, I know I started with it, but it is such a major issue, I can't help but bring it up again, the single page concept just does not work well. As I click though, I have a spinner come up to tell me to wait for it to load. This type of "fanciness" only comes off well when the content it is bringing has a "wow" factor to it. I know you are currently working on it, but without drastic change, I don't see it warranting the single page system you are using. I would greatly recommend looking at if they have another type of layout you can use if you are going to stick with their site builder. As I tell people on another forum who insist on using Wix.com, making it easy for you to work on, and making it easy for customers to find you and get the information THEY need are two different things most of the time.

13. Lastly, on top of all else, this layout really does not flow well to mobile browsing, and we are now in an era of the web where you have to consider what you look like on mobile devices. While I can navigate your site, I have to zoom in to read it and then move all around to read the content, as it doesn't fill the screen, it has set widths.

Sorry if this comes off too harsh, but I think some of these need major consideration before you move forward with the site the way it is. What may be more headaches now getting it going will be less headache later when the site is "finished" and then you turn your concern to "why can't people find me" and "why isn't the site getting people to contact me"

If you have any questions about a specific item, feel free to ask me here or PM me.

-Greg

Greg, I just PM'd you. Please read it, and get back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
    Hi Kevin, here is an evaluation from a web developer's standpoint:

1. The page relies on Javascript. Without it, I see a white screen with only "Owner Login". While it is true that most people do browse with Javascript enabled, all it takes is ONE thing to glitch on the page, and it kills all javascript, thus killing your site. For example, while I was on it, at one point something glitched and the [X] close buttons didn't work, and I had to completely refresh the page to get it working again.

2. Having a single page for a website has big disadvantages for SEO and marketing standpoints. The big issue is that search engines will NOT be able to find all of your content. Want to see an example of what they see, try this viewer:
    http://www.domaintools.com/seo-brows...tion.net%2F%23
    As you can see, you have links to your other pages, but to a search engine, they just don't work, so only your home page information is actually indexed. Even if you had all the content of the other sections on the home page for search bots to see, with only one actual URL, all the content would be weighed together. Say I googled "Wedding Transportation Hilton Head", your rankings for that would be low compared to if you had an actual URL that was specif about your wedding services.

3. Additionally, people are used to hitting the BACK button. It doesn't work on your site, which may cause the visitor to keep clicking it again and again till they back out of your site.

4. The page itself doesn't validate, when you are done working on the site, make sure it validates (see http://validator.w3.org/)

5. The "Owner login" and the flyout for GoDaddy advertising are not needed and a distraction from your site. I'm assuming the ad is there because you are maybe using a free version of their builder, so when you have it all done, consider do what is needed to get rid of them.

6. You should have your phone number and a general service area clearly defined, preferable as text towards the top of each page. Visitors want information quick and easily found. As it stands, they have to go through and scan though content to get both of these, or click onto other sections.

7. Centered text, especially when it comes to a list, is a lot harder to read. Compare the content for "Weddings" to that of "Affiliates"

8. You have your own domain, the use of @hotmail, @gmail, @yahoo are just not as professional (especially when you can get your domain email set up though gmail anyhow)

9. Normally I would run a program that checks all of the site for links, keyword density, spelling, etc but since you have a non-crawlable site, wasn't gonna do any good.

10. On to visually... The contact us page text is way smaller than the rest of the site. The look and feel of a site should remain constant across all pages, unless you are specifically making a sub section that is to stand out separately.

11. The overall look of the site, to me, just doesn't say a luxury transportation company, it feels more gloomy. Defiantly need some pictures to bring it to life if you are going to keep the same general look.

12. Again, I know I started with it, but it is such a major issue, I can't help but bring it up again, the single page concept just does not work well. As I click though, I have a spinner come up to tell me to wait for it to load. This type of "fanciness" only comes off well when the content it is bringing has a "wow" factor to it. I know you are currently working on it, but without drastic change, I don't see it warranting the single page system you are using. I would greatly recommend looking at if they have another type of layout you can use if you are going to stick with their site builder. As I tell people on another forum who insist on using Wix.com, making it easy for you to work on, and making it easy for customers to find you and get the information THEY need are two different things most of the time.

13. Lastly, on top of all else, this layout really does not flow well to mobile browsing, and we are now in an era of the web where you have to consider what you look like on mobile devices. While I can navigate your site, I have to zoom in to read it and then move all around to read the content, as it doesn't fill the screen, it has set widths.

Sorry if this comes off too harsh, but I think some of these need major consideration before you move forward with the site the way it is. What may be more headaches now getting it going will be less headache later when the site is "finished" and then you turn your concern to "why can't people find me" and "why isn't the site getting people to contact me"

If you have any questions about a specific item, feel free to ask me here or PM me.

-Greg
    Great info. How much does it matter that the seo text browser gives you a good score? My new site has a higher score than the top sites in my area. I was looking at my www.finestcitylimo.com site
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalFleet View Post
    Great info. How much does it matter that the seo text browser gives you a good score? My new site has a higher score than the top sites in my area. I was looking at my www.finestcitylimo.com site
    Thanks
    To be honest, never really looked into its scoring system. Here is a link to their information on their scoring: http://www.domaintools.com/seo-score/
    It is funny, I had used that tool for years, and only about a month ago realized the extra information it gives when you click the "I" icon on the top left corner.

As with all parts of SEO, this score is just a part of the picture, one of many things to optimize. You can have a good built site but not have any decent keywords target ted in it, which will keep you from ranking well.

I'm just getting started in really working SEO, and it is crazy how many different angles you can come at a site to work on it. On each front just try to get it the best you can. Then in the end, it is also about picking the correct keywords/phrases to target for (which, well this is where someone seasoned in SEO can be good at advising)

-Greg

That I icon taught me I didn't have an alt description for my picture. I do now.
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Thanks Greg for the website, It really works well.

I tried looking at this webpage on my iPad and there wasn't a whole heck of a lot there. Prospective client would say "Next!"
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

There is no limosine on site.
    Site is like a long web page like a blog. I thinks its not a proper website.
    The only reason to show is to post link.
    The webpage is oversized with noting in it.
    Are you just started it or what?
    I am giving some suggestions with some sites.
    I selected two top sites for limousine in chicago.
    Take a look at elitechicagolimo.com. Its look very professional.
    Best enhanced product visibility on home page.
    Second is http://www.americanchicagolimousine.com/.
    Best About ting is categorization of services.
    See the limousines service page.

There is nothing named like site there.
    Site is a proper place to place you product and service information with contacts and company history. All a site rely is its user freindlyness.
    Sites which are just placed to get a place on internet are of no worth from customers refrence.
    See some exaples for good sites.
    Elitlimos.com and chicago airport limo service.
    One is for best product visibility and second is best for categorization.

You guys should look at it again there has been some major improvements in the past 72 hours. Again the pictures of the cars are coming but everyone know what a limo or a van looks like. http://silveroaktransportation.net

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Oak Transportation View Post
    You guys should look at it again there has been some major improvements in the past 72 hours. Again the pictures of the cars are coming but everyone know what a limo or a van looks like. http://silveroaktransportation.net
    To be honest I am not a fan of the site.

To state that "Everyone know's what a limo or Van looks like" is ignorant to say the least. Sure we know what a Limo/Van looks like but what does yours look like? Is it trashed, banged up, clean, black, white, pink etc???

Pictures make a world of differance to say the least!

Please no offense here but you really need to hire that website out.

www.modern-entertainment.com

This is my DJ companies website. I have about $600 total into this. We are currently working on a better one as this one dates it self but is still relevant.
    We book 30% of weddings based SOLEY on our website and out of al the weddings we book 90%+ have visited our website.

Good luck!

Blog Entries

Still hate the Tree.