Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much does bus size matter?

Default how much does bus size matter?

i have been looking at a few busses. i have looked at E350/E450 with 7.3 and i have looked at 2001 international with a 7.3 they both have similar miles and are about the same year, price is very close too. what are the advantages / disadvantages to a smaller or larger bus? what size bus do you like and why?

thanks Fry1661

Blog Entries

For me my next bus needs to hold about 32 to 36 pass

I have one, and need to make another one.

Blog Entries

Picking up my first bus Thursday down in Springfield, 24 pax!

I currently have 3 buses a 10-12pax, 14-16pax, and a 18-20pax. Personally I would not purchase a "party bus" larger than 20pax as it is hard dealing with 20 drunks lol, as far as shuttle buses for weddings and corp. events I would not mind a 30-40pax.
    Rick M.
    Corpus Christi Party Bus
    361-765-4997
    www.ccpartybus.com
    www.corpuschristipartybus.com

Our Buses range from 21 to 45 . We have found over 30 is great for Wedding shuttles . Our newest bus is a 36 passenger Party Bus. We have had a huge amount of interest in it from large Wedding Partys . 18 to 24 plus some family members and photographer and some equipment make the 36 passenger space just perfect. The Pink seating is an added bonus

The 350/450 will be more unstable when loaded and driving down the road and people move around. The Internationals & Freightliners will be a more stable ride. Parts like drive train items will last longer in a lot of cases because they are heavy duty truck items built to carry more weight in a lot of cases. The bigger buses will cost more for license plates due to GVW being more. They will cost more to repair when they need service. They should not need to be in for repairs as much, do to more heavy duty parts in most cases. But abuse will take its tole , no matter what size bus you have We are looking at adding an International 33 passenger. Have my eye on one . Just need to work on price a little more
    Last edited by Pyro; February 14th, 2012 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ccpartybus View Post
    I would not purchase a "party bus" larger than 20pax as it is hard dealing with 20 drunks
    Thats excellent risk management Rick. Statistics show an increase in frequency and severity of claims the closer to 28 and then above without the use of a party host (chaperone). Obtaining a thorough passenger manifest prior to departing on the trip also helps maintain a certain level of calm on the bus since you know who everyone is.

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Insurance King View Post
    Thats excellent risk management Rick. Statistics show an increase in frequency and severity of claims the closer to 28 and then above without the use of a party host (chaperone). Obtaining a thorough passenger manifest prior to departing on the trip also helps maintain a certain level of calm on the bus since you know who everyone is.
    It also shows an increase in getting paid more money. The only difference I've noticed is that stuff is more likely to get broken in bigger groups (only expensive thing thats gets broken is tvs) but it's very rare to happen and is well worth the risk. I think you need to have your best drivers on the bigger buses though because they are just as good at keeping a large group in line as a bad driver is a group of 12. Not to mention it's harder to driver a bus that's 10 ft longer.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon1 View Post
    It also shows an increase in getting paid more money. The only difference I've noticed is that stuff is more likely to get broken in bigger groups (only expensive thing thats gets broken is tvs) but it's very rare to happen and is well worth the risk. I think you need to have your best drivers on the bigger buses though because they are just as good at keeping a large group in line as a bad driver is a group of 12. Not to mention it's harder to driver a bus that's 10 ft longer.
    I do not disagree that a larger vehicle can produce more revenue, I expect them to, however the larger a vehicle the more revenue it must produce because the cost to own, maintain, and operate is more than that of smaller vehicles. My post still remains true regardless of the amount of revenue generated. In a non-shuttle/transfer situation, when the seating capacity is greater than 28, this increases the likelihood of a person being injured without the use of a party host in addition to obtaining a thorough passenger manifest.

Out of curiosity Brandon, how are TV's usually broken during a charter?

Blog Entries

We have a plastic shield in front of the TV. I have two buses by westwind and two by federal.

It is not harder to drive but you have to take care of your tail swings. Most of my limo bus jobs are not party jobs but just corporate stuff.

We have a 28 pass limo bus tofay doing a job for 14 people. The booker just wants the group to be extra comfortable. My limo buses do not have any stripper poles. They are all black exterior. My corporate clients love it as it looks like a bus from the outisde but a limo from the inside. I have had meetings done in the coach like a conference room and have the abilities to hook up a laptop to the tvs.

It ready depends on what time of market you want to entertain.

For me it can be a party bus, limo bus, entertainer coach, corporate coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Insurance King View Post
    I do not disagree that a larger vehicle can produce more revenue, I expect them to, however the larger a vehicle the more revenue it must produce because the cost to own, maintain, and operate is more than that of smaller vehicles. My post still remains true regardless of the amount of revenue generated. In a non-shuttle/transfer situation, when the seating capacity is greater than 28, this increases the likelihood of a person being injured without the use of a party host in addition to obtaining a thorough passenger manifest.

Out of curiosity Brandon, how are TV's usually broken during a charter?
    I'm not really sure exactly how it happens, but I do have 1/8" plexi protecting them. You would have to hit it really hard to crack it falling into it wouldn't do it. I can't see any reason unless it's deliberate. I think I've had maybe 3 TV's broken out of the thousands of runs I've done. One reason for larger parties getting more out of control is that there's only one person with a credit card on file. It's easier for them to control a smaller group. If you don't require a credit card on file I can only imagine your damage being 10x worse.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon1 View Post
    One reason for larger parties getting more out of control is that there's only one person with a credit card on file. It's easier for them to control a smaller group. If you don't require a credit card on file I can only imagine your damage being 10x worse.
    This is where having a pass. manifest prior to departing comes into play. When they know that you know they behave differently. I have some clients that require a photo ID and take their name/add from the ID.

Blog Entries

MY 36 pass limo bus had all family members last saturday, and as soon as he dropped them off at the last stop there was a big family fight, cops were called in. Never taught family members could fight like that.

But i am sure that could happen in a small limo bus too.

Banned

There is an E450, 16 passenger, with 100k miles for 25 grand (might be able to bring it down to 20 cash). Year 1998.

What are your opinions, maintenance, potential engine life etc... ?

As some of you guys can tell, I am deciding on my next purchase just not sure what.
    LIMOJESS and Brandon1 have helped out a lot. thanks

Blog Entries

DO a carfax. Check the condition. It is a krystal so it is well built.

The only thing i hate about Krystal is the Air-operated door.