Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have a Chauffeur do Some P.R.

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

Default Have a Chauffeur do Some P.R.

We have decided starting next month to have our chauffeur do some P.R. work. Once a month he will hit all of the high end resorts, travel agents and wedding venues. This way they will be able to put a face with the name. We are already on many of these places preferred vendor list. I got this idea from the shop I work at. We get reps from part stores and equipment suppliers all the time. However we only buy stuff from the guys we see on a regular basis. Before anyone says we should be doing this not a driver. Michael is a very likeable person and people love him. Plus with me working full time and my wife running the office we just don't have the time. Just thought I would share our idea.

I have considered doing that myself right before I start up, but how do you do this without appearing to "pester" them? I was going to arm myself with a bunch of business cards, information packets, a really nice suit, and hit some of the conference center and other locales to advertise my services to the general managers of each institution. I know that many do not like being solicited to, so I am trying to determine how to tread on this. Any tips you have would be much appreciative.
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Homer, Alaska bound! Precision Executive Transportation Services LLCwww.precisiontransportationservices.comEmail: junehhan(at)precisiontransportationservices(dot)co mFind us on Facebook right now!

It's perfectly legitimate for a driver to go out and solicit for work. A smart driver might consider it part of his job. He should be compensated either by the hour or on a commision basis.

Great post Elegant. I juat want to warn that you really just cannot set anyone loose doing this. Your guy sounds great do not get me worng. Some people have the relationship and social skills to do this corectly and some do not. In fact letting the wrong person do this could even hurt your business.

Also think about some training for the person you choose to do this. The Dale Carnegie Course is a great one. http://www.dalecarnegie.com/

And giving them a budget for expences will come in handy when the prospect says, would love to talk with ya but I have to get some lunch, They can come back with , Lets go together , my treat.

And June it is more about building relationships and benifit selling than handing them a stack of information.

Blog Entries

Just a suggestion... but have them use a company phone number on anything that they pass out. I learned the hard way when I had a drivers personal number on cards that, if they leave your company, they will try taking that business with them to another company. All of my people have company phones now and don't use their own phone numbers for company business. It really bites when all of your hard work is stolen by another company and used to steal business for free.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
    I have considered doing that myself right before I start up, but how do you do this without appearing to "pester" them? I was going to arm myself with a bunch of business cards, information packets, a really nice suit, and hit some of the conference center and other locales to advertise my services to the general managers of each institution. I know that many do not like being solicited to, so I am trying to determine how to tread on this. Any tips you have would be much appreciative.
    We have been doing this since we started our biz in 06, just on a smaller scale and with us hitting the pavement about once every 4 months. When we started out we hit all the high end resorts ect. We would bring cards, brochures and price sheets. It is always good to grab a business card from the establishment so you can follow up. By only showing up once a month or every other you will not be a pest but your name will stay fresh in there minds. We also offer a 10% commission for all bookings.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LGAL View Post
    It's perfectly legitimate for a driver to go out and solicit for work. A smart driver might consider it part of his job. He should be compensated either by the hour or on a commision basis.
    Our driver will use our sedan and our gas and will be paid hourly. We mentioned it to him yesterday and he thinks it's a great idea.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Great post Elegant. I juat want to warn that you really just cannot set anyone loose doing this. Your guy sounds great do not get me worng. Some people have the relationship and social skills to do this corectly and some do not. In fact letting the wrong person do this could even hurt your business.

Also think about some training for the person you choose to do this. The Dale Carnegie Course is a great one. http://www.dalecarnegie.com/

And giving them a budget for expences will come in handy when the prospect says, would love to talk with ya but I have to get some lunch, They can come back with , Lets go together , my treat.

And June it is more about building relationships and benifit selling than handing them a stack of information.
    Michael was in sales up north and owned businesses before retiring to Florida. He is smooth and could sell a snow ball to frosty. Plus he has been with us for almost 3 years and knows our operation well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Just a suggestion... but have them use a company phone number on anything that they pass out. I learned the hard way when I had a drivers personal number on cards that, if they leave your company, they will try taking that business with them to another company. All of my people have company phones now and don't use their own phone numbers for company business. It really bites when all of your hard work is stolen by another company and used to steal business for free.
    Thanks for the heads up Digger. We won't have to worry about that. He would rather just drive and leave the headaches to us.

Blog Entries

Digger, we have been using company cell phones from day one. When we started in business 20 years ago, not many people had cell phones. We also used to charge the client a dollar a minute to use the phone too.
    Some of the older companies might remember that too.

Our chauffeurs always hand out business cards when asked for. That is the best form of advertsing. The future clients get to look at the vechicle(outside) and also see how well the driver is dressed.

A couple of weeks ago I did a school winter ball in the limo bus and the pickup was from a local high school. So there were other buses there but no one was wearing a suite. Many parents who have rented from the other party bus companies came up to me to grab business cards. Since I have not driven a limo for a while, I typically have a stack in my pocket or hand. They even mentioned that my bus looks much better and cleaner than what thier kids got.

Hi! I am also a travel agent. I want to know more about chauffeurs. Please tell me that how chauffeurs play a very important role in travel business. I am waiting for your reply.

Blog Entries

What is a chauffeur ?? Lets ask an Expert.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheExpert View Post
    Hi! I am also a travel agent. I want to know more about chauffeurs. Please tell me that how chauffeurs play a very important role in travel business. I am waiting for your reply.

Can we just ban "the expert" already....LOL
    Thank you,

Dan @ Fusion Limos ~ Closed

I think it is a great idea in this case. However, in most cases, have chauffeurs drive and have people with professional sales and marketing experience do the selling! In this case, the chauffeur has sales experience but in most cases they do not. You would not have the produce clerk cut you meat for you. True professionals specialize in what they do so hire the right person for the right job.

I have another suggestion that I feel is much more effective in landing new business. Be out and about. Be at every chamber of commerce function and don't just show up. Volunteer on committees and be a part. Involve yourself in Rotary, Kiwanis or other service groups. Be a part - not a member. Join business networking groups such as LeTip, Business Network International (BNI) or an executive association in your area. Make YOUR name AND your company name a household name. I am the president of five local charities. I started at each one as a volunteer. Because of my involvement, I am always on TV, radio and in the newspaper. Every single time, I get a mention in that Limousine Scene is a proud contributor to "yada, yada, yada". Don't get me wrong, I love the charity work. I also like to eat well.

For instance, tomorrow night, Limousine Scene is a Bronze level sponsor of an annual fundraiser for our local chamber of commerce. This event is attended by about 400 - 600 people. They are executives that support the local economy from Chevron, Shell, Mobil, Nestle, Dole and many others. THIS is who you need your name in front of - over and over and over and over. We get ten tickets to the event to take 8 of our best clients. We get a limo parked at the front door on display. We have our banners hanging on all four walls with our logo. Our name is in the program and the announcer will do (15) 60-second commercials and I get to do one myself at the podium and tell people about our business and ask them to meet me at the car when I am done if they have any questions.

Oh, you can't send anyone but an owner, manager or marketing rep for this assignment. People want to talk to "the boss" in this setting.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Blog Entries

The chauffeur/or limousine driver is typically the only person that a client gets to physically see in person.