Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SUV stretch questions

Banned

Default SUV stretch questions

Hi

I was wondering which SUV stretch would you guys recommend...

My main concern would be ease of maintenance.

The market has shifted a fair bit in my area where 8 passenger stretches are hardly being used
    for weddings.

thanks

Banned

I am stuck between an 04 navigator stretch or an 07 ford expedition.

How long is their expected engine life, and suspension, along with all the other maintenance ?

The 120" LT 10 passenger has been really great, but I think I need to add an suv stretch for the prom, and larger scale weddings.

thank you

Blog Entries

They both have the same engine. I am still running a 2001 navigator at about 130kmiles. I bought it brand new and had it stretched 11 years ago. The suv is also great for weddings as you can have the entire wedding party in one car.

This was the market trend
    1990-now Sedan Limos
    2000 to 2008 Suv Limos
    Now: Limo Buses

Banned

thanks for the info.

I think the area I am in is a little behind in terms of trends. The party bus is in, but there is only a small small market for it.
    I mean a small operator like myself, would not be able to keep up with the payments.

The SUV is currently in for prom and weddings.

I found an 02 ford excursion, 300,000 miles for $10,000 it is in good shape.

Is it a bad bet in terms of maintenance or should I rebuild the engine and tranny to be safe ?
    Its still on its original engine and transmission.

thanks guys

Blog Entries

There are many good ford excursions QVM for sale in the market.

Excursion is the lowest maintainance suv limo by far, but 300,000 miles means every part on that limo is wore out, or close to it. Instead of paying $10,000 and spending an equal amount in repairs, try to find a low mileage Excursion for $20,000 and save yourself the headaches of a high mileage vehicle.
    Last edited by excaliberlimo; February 13th, 2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: SPELLING

Banned

^^^

Thats what I was thinking, 300 k miles is a lot. What parts should one be concerned about ?
    I am thinking I can offer the guy 7 or 8 cash and he would probably accept.

There is another excursion for 35 K and mileage but has 120k miles...

I sent the info to the insurance company hopefully its less than 10 k per year for insurance.

At 300k the question is what parts shouldn't you be worried about. Especially on a vehicle that was altered from the original manufacture vehicle.

Banned

alright, so basically 300k means not worth the trouble.

Is that the same with the Lincoln town car, my current 120" has 137k miles and still going strong.

I will look into the other excursion with 120k miles.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by nvthslex View Post
    alright, so basically 300k means not worth the trouble.

Is that the same with the Lincoln town car, my current 120" has 137k miles and still going strong.

I will look into the other excursion with 120k miles.

Thank you
    If you don't have the money to buy a less mile vehicle then you don't have much of a choice. When I first started I bought a high mileage vehicle. I've had it for 3 years but as much $ as it has cost me I would have been better off spending a lot more on a low mile vehicle. I would have a nicer vehicle now and it would have cost me a lot less money. At the time I didn't have much of an option and I still made money off of it. In this industry you have to not only consider repairs but also the money you lose when you break down and have to refund your customers to save your reputation and pay for an expensive tow.

Banned

^^^

Thanks for the info. wow I didnt realize about the towing and refunds.
    Was just hoping on doing preventative maintenance in order to avoid a break down.

But you guys are right, best be prepared. I might as well save this money and wait till I become a known company.
    Or get a smaller 8-10 pax as back up.

Blog Entries

There are better deals out there. Just make sure it is a QVM limo.

Banned

There are quiet a few good deals out there, but when importing it becomes nearly
    5 K higher.

I have seen a few from John, (the limo agent) and have been going back and forth with him in terms of what would
    be a better buy.

Side note, do break downs happen often, or if one does preventative maintenance it should be fine ?

How much should one keep as a safety net at all times in the bank.

Some of my questions are becoming a little off topi, but do appreciate the help.

Banned

What is the average in terms of price and mileage should one be looking for ?

When do the problems for a stretch usually happen. I am defintiely looking more into the excursion as you guys mentioned it is the
    'workhorse' of the SUVs, and has the least in maintenance.

Same reason why I took the 120" LTC over the 120" DTS.

Thanks again

There's no avoiding breakdowns, there's only reducing them. It always helps to stock all of the common things that could break like altenator, spare tire, belts, fuel filters, etc. Every vehicle is different though but a good mechanic can tell you what to get. Having the right parts will save you from getting a tow on the side of the freeway at 2am when all the auto part stores are closed. It might also save a run for you.