Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lincoln maintenance questions

Default Lincoln maintenance questions

Hey everyone, first post here. I've searched around for the info I'm looking for but haven't been able to find it anywhere so far; I hope someone here can help me.

This is my situation; I'm about to buy and export a stretched Lincoln town car (probably a 70" stretch, mid 00's car, with somewhere between 150,000 and 200,000 miles on it) to a country where there are very few Lincolns, so finding spare parts won't be easy over there. My idea is to also export some spare parts along with the car, to save on shipping costs.

I suppose shocks, brakes and the gearbox are the items that take the most abuse (since the car is heavier than standard), but the estimated mileage the limo will run every year is quite low, so I'm not sure what spares to get (if any at all). I'm estimating that on an average year, the limo will run around 6,000 miles, which I'm sure is a lot less than what the average limo does in the states.

So let's say, 3 years down the line, the limo is gonna have an additional 18k mi, so it'll add up to anywhere between 168,000 and 218,000. Should I have to replace the gearbox by then? How many sets of shocks would I go through in those 18k miles? What about brakes? Is there anything else I haven't thought about?

I'd appreciate any help.
    Thanks!

With proper maintenance the powertrain is solid and can last up to 500,000 miles, on average they will provide 300,000 miles of service without major failure.

An entire front suspension, complete exhaust system, u-joints, A/C parts should be on your list of parts to keep in stock.

Blog Entries

A used gearbox or used tranny is a good idea, together with drivebelts, ignation coils, air/fuel filters

For most of the stuff there is ebay and they ship internationally

Jess

Senior Member Cedar Mill Limousine's Avatar

Jegs for coils - replace them all with spark plugs right off the bat and you'll be good for a while!
    Rich Rottier
    219.808.0976 | richrottier@gmail.com

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions guys! Keep em coming!

I run high mile 70" to 180" Town Cars with over 200,000 miles and I feel you are over thinking this. Why not ship a parts car also? Once you get the basics serviced before you go, you shouldn't have many problems. I agree a transmission could be a problem, but maybe the car you get will have a rebuilt tranny. I do feel that by 200,000 miles you need to keep an eye on the transmission, but properly serviced with the proper trans fluid Mercon V, you should be good. Heater cores are a bit of an issue and a lot of work to replace. AC system is a problem, most of the time it is the compressor. Depending if you keep the factory air suspension, you should consider air bags and compressor. Catalytic converters can start being plugged at 150,000 miles. Putting 18,000 miles on a Town Car is what some operators do in 5 months and only do oil changes in that period. Get the car tip top before you ship it you should have a trouble free time.

With the generation Town Car you are looking at(pre 2003), also don't forget about the intake manifold and intake manifold gaskets. That is a notorious problem that plagues that pre 2003 Town Cars.
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Homer, Alaska bound! Precision Executive Transportation Services LLCwww.precisiontransportationservices.comEmail: junehhan(at)precisiontransportationservices(dot)co mFind us on Facebook right now!

RoyalFleet, that's pretty much what I was hoping to hear. I'll try to get it in good shape before shipping, and have some basic spares in the container to go with it.

Thank you all for your input, it's been really useful

Quote Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
    With the generation Town Car you are looking at(pre 2003), also don't forget about the intake manifold and intake manifold gaskets. That is a notorious problem that plagues that pre 2003 Town Cars.
    Good catch June! You've been paying close attention.
    Andy
    937-620-9120
    937-524-5899 (office)
    Dunlap Limousine, LLC
    http://www.dunlaplimo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Party Bus Andy View Post
    Good catch June! You've been paying close attention.
    I had my own run in with a defective intake manifold on a 2000 Crown Victoria myself, and have since read that it was a problem that basically afflicted all Ford vehicles with the 4.6 litre SOHC motor before 2003 or 2004. Not a cheap repair, and not pleasant when it goes out on you.
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Homer, Alaska bound! Precision Executive Transportation Services LLCwww.precisiontransportationservices.comEmail: junehhan(at)precisiontransportationservices(dot)co mFind us on Facebook right now!

I would suggest a list of spare parts:
    The front suspension.
    1) Ball joints top and bottom of 2 pieces each.
    2) The stabilizer legs 2 pieces.
    3) Bushes of the stabilizer 2 pcs.
    4) control arm bushings 4 upper and 4 lower. While the lower bushings often a complete, upper sleeve - 2.
    5) Ball steering rods, fry the shaft.

Engine.
    1) Candles
    2) Reels 2-3 pieces.

The rear suspension.
    Pillows - 2 pieces.

The rest - at your discretion.
    By brand preference and Muug end Raybestos Professional, absolutely do not buy Service.

In which country do you live, if not secret?

Last edited by Paul Narsky; February 13th, 2012 at 07:27 AM.
    Respectfully yours Grishaev Pavel.

http://svadba-nf.ru

Blog Entries

One of my last limo I sold went to Taiwan. Before the guy shipped the limo, he asked for my mechanics number and replaced all the fluids, new filters, new rims/tires, and replaced the entire front end and shocks. It cost him about $3000 but he said it was well worth it.

Banned

For the intake manifold, I ran my VIN and it says there are no open recalls.
    Does that mean the previous owners replaced the manifolds ?

Year 1999 (70k miles), and year 2000 (135 k miles).

Quote Originally Posted by nvthslex View Post
    For the intake manifold, I ran my VIN and it says there are no open recalls.
    Does that mean the previous owners replaced the manifolds ?

Year 1999 (70k miles), and year 2000 (135 k miles).
    Heh, there is actually no recall on those

Unfortunately, they were just really really bad until Ford(and other manufacturers in general) got the whole polymer(plastic) intake manifolds down properly around 2003-2004. They were especially notorious on any Ford car that utilized that 4.6 litre SOHC 16v v8's that were built during that time frame.
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Banned

^^^
    A newbie follow up question:
    Does that mean my vehicles are safe or would the problem still exist, and the part
    should be replaced ?

thank you