Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, what do you guys think about my first attempt at creating a webpage?

Default Well, what do you guys think about my first attempt at creating a webpage?

Let me know what you guys think at my first attempt at creating a webpage. I have no knowledge of this type of stuff, and even Dreamweaver was way over my head. Consider this version 0.99 as i'm sure many revisions will be coming in the future as I figure more stuff out.

http://www.precisiontransportationservices.com
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Homer, Alaska bound! Precision Executive Transportation Services LLCwww.precisiontransportationservices.comEmail: junehhan(at)precisiontransportationservices(dot)co mFind us on Facebook right now!

Blog Entries

First, I do not like the blue background. Maybe it is just me.

Quote Originally Posted by LIMOJESS View Post
    First, I do not like the blue background. Maybe it is just me.
    I was afraid someone was going to say that. Blue is one of my company colors and i've been trying to find a good way to use that color. Once I begin operations, my suits will be a black suit, with dark blue shirt, with a grey tie. I tried to use those colors as best as possible on the website, but I have to admit that i'm not creative in terms of artistic abilities. I am also crazy about blue as it is my favorite color in the world. Even my wrist watch is blue!
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Homer, Alaska bound! Precision Executive Transportation Services LLCwww.precisiontransportationservices.comEmail: junehhan(at)precisiontransportationservices(dot)co mFind us on Facebook right now!

Might a suggest a black suit, white shirt, blue tie? White shirts will be able to gain affiliate work, but isn't a guarantee.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    Might a suggest a black suit, white shirt, blue tie? White shirts will be able to gain affiliate work, but isn't a guarantee.
    Ahh yes, that actually became an option after I talked with Andy and Pyro a few weeks ago. It turns out that there are cheaper places to get your stuff other than The Mens Wearhouse where I have always shopped for my professional attire. I would utilize the same black suits I have now, but purchase a white shirt and blue zipper tie from Wally World. Basically the suit configuration I was planning on using is what you see in my Facebook photo. I kind of fell in love with that configuration and have been using it for everything after the first time.
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Site seems to wide. The stuff in black on the right side is getting cut off.

myowntux.com Best deals on formal ware that I have found

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    myowntux.com Best deals on formal ware that I have found
    I have that site bookmarked.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalFleet View Post
    Site seems to wide. The stuff in black on the right side is getting cut off.
    Are you viewing it on a widescreen monitor? The stuff on the right looks just fine to me. But you did raise an interesting point because i'm running at a resolution of 1600x900. Not everyone is running at that resolution, which is probably why it looks just fine to me.
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

First thing for me is that you have the page set for a width of 1591 pixels. While more and more are getting wide screen monitors, you have to remember that not everyone has them, and also not everyone browses with it at full screen (oh I can't stand watching people do that scrolling all over). On my screen, while I do browse full screen, I have my tabs running down the left side of the browser so I have to scroll to the right to see the rest of your right hand column.

The color scheme would be better with the "visited" link color not being the system default (which on at least most browsers is purple). I'm sitting here after visiting all your pages, and I can barely read the links right now since they are all purple.

I would make the contact information more noticeable on the pages. Call out to people to act, not just read, something like "Reserve now at 513-659-6430"

I know you are working on the site, and you already explained your color choices, so will leave the "design" comments other than that alone.

For more on things needing fixed:

On just about every page you have the word "receive" misspelled. (in the last line at the bottom). Also on partners.html page, receiving in the content is also wrong.

While it still works, your link in the left for "Online Reservations" is actually split into two different links (and in the middle of a word). This can make it difficult to maintain later (say you change the link URL, you may forget to change the second one)

On the home page, "Massachusetts" is misspelled.

On the Friends page, in the first sentence the word "have" is duplicated.

On the Rates and Transfer pages, "upto" should be two words.

For the Vehicles page, "MKT's" should be MKTs (non possessive). Also there is just too much wording there. I would break it up to a brief statement about the vehicle, then use a list to specify the features of the car, then another brief statement with the last part of your current paragraph. Makes it easier for people to read.

To make things more readable, use a space before things you are putting in parenthesis (there are a few places where you have it right up against the word before it.

On the airport page, the first paragraph is difficult to read/understand for me, probably because I do not know the names. At first I thought you again meant to use the plural form of "Airport" and was listing different airports. It took me a few times to read it to understand it (I think ;-)

On the reservation page, definitely re-do the image for the link to Booking Tool. That really stands out.

Be sure while building pages to run them through a validator (http://validator.w3.org/) Also try to view it on as many different Browsers/systems as you can, at the very least on Windows, do IE, Chrome and Firefox. (note different versions of IE can even be different).

For going forward, consider SEO as you build your pages. See the recently updated info from Google on title tags and Meta tags http://support.google.com/webmasters...n&answer=35624 On each page you should have ONE <h1> tag that follows pretty close to the advice in the article for the <title> tag, use it to make a concise headline that says what the page you are viewing is about (don't use it for your company name). Think of headlines in newspapers.

Also, consider what people would search for to come across your pages (not just your site in whole). Ask people NOT in the industry what they would search for on Google, then work those into the pages. Don't worry about getting all search terms to match on the home page. Target them for specific pages to build up particular density for those pages.

I also notice that while you are using dreamweaver, you are not utilizing its template functionality. I recommend you look into it if you will continue on dreamweaver. If you set up the template correctly, it makes it very easy to maintain a good uniform site structure, and so that when you update the "shell" of the page (including your main menu), dreamweaver will them prompt you to auto update every page using the template. SO add a new page, add the link to the template, and it will update all pages, no chance of you forgetting one.

If you want help getting that set up (and even better, converting the site over to a non-tables layout, that is semantically coded (using tags for what they are meant for)), let me know. I'm quite swamped this week, but would be glad to help you get on a better track. (I'm currently doing the same for a Police Department, getting them converted over from manually editing pages to use a template system. They love how easy it is to help keep things uniform.

Hope this helps.

-Greg
    Last edited by Greg K; February 7th, 2012 at 11:12 PM.

Thank you so much for taking the time to go through my website like that. I also had no idea I had so many typos on it as well. It looks like i've got my work cut out for me as I also still have to get the Booking Tool setup as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
    First thing for me is that you have the page set for a width of 1591 pixels. While more and more are getting wide screen monitors, you have to remember that not everyone has them, and also not everyone browses with it at full screen (oh I can't stand watching people do that scrolling all over). On my screen, while I do browse full screen, I have my tabs running down the left side of the browser so I have to scroll to the right to see the rest of your right hand column.

The color scheme would be better with the "visited" link color not being the system default (which on at least most browsers is purple). I'm sitting here after visiting all your pages, and I can barely read the links right now since they are all purple.

I would make the contact information more noticeable on the pages. Call out to people to act, not just read, something like "Reserve now at 513-659-6430"

I know you are working on the site, and you already explained your color choices, so will leave the "design" comments other than that alone.

For more on things needing fixed:

On just about every page you have the word "receive" misspelled. (in the last line at the bottom). Also on partners.html page, receiving in the content is also wrong.

While it still works, your link in the left for "Online Reservations" is actually split into two different links (and in the middle of a word). This can make it difficult to maintain later (say you change the link URL, you may forget to change the second one)

On the home page, "Massachusetts" is misspelled.

On the Friends page, in the first sentence the word "have" is duplicated.

On the Rates and Transfer pages, "upto" should be two words.

For the Vehicles page, "MKT's" should be MKTs (non possessive). Also there is just too much wording there. I would break it up to a brief statement about the vehicle, then use a list to specify the features of the car, then another brief statement with the last part of your current paragraph. Makes it easier for people to read.

To make things more readable, use a space before things you are putting in parenthesis (there are a few places where you have it right up against the word before it.

On the airport page, the first paragraph is difficult to read/understand for me, probably because I do not know the names. At first I thought you again meant to use the plural form of "Airport" and was listing different airports. It took me a few times to read it to understand it (I think ;-)

On the reservation page, definitely re-do the image for the link to Booking Tool. That really stands out.

Be sure while building pages to run them through a validator (http://validator.w3.org/) Also try to view it on as many different Browsers/systems as you can, at the very least on Windows, do IE, Chrome and Firefox. (note different versions of IE can even be different).

For going forward, consider SEO as you build your pages. See the recently updated info from Google on title tags and Meta tags http://support.google.com/webmasters...n&answer=35624 On each page you should have ONE <h1> tag that follows pretty close to the advice in the article for the <title> tag, use it to make a concise headline that says what the page you are viewing is about (don't use it for your company name). Think of headlines in newspapers.

Also, consider what people would search for to come across your pages (not just your site in whole). Ask people NOT in the industry what they would search for on Google, then work those into the pages. Don't worry about getting all search terms to match on the home page. Target them for specific pages to build up particular density for those pages.

I also notice that while you are using dreamweaver, you are not utilizing its template functionality. I recommend you look into it if you will continue on dreamweaver. If you set up the template correctly, it makes it very easy to maintain a good uniform site structure, and so that when you update the "shell" of the page (including your main menu), dreamweaver will them prompt you to auto update every page using the template. SO add a new page, add the link to the template, and it will update all pages, no chance of you forgetting one.

If you want help getting that set up (and even better, converting the site over to a non-tables layout, that is semantically coded (using tags for what they are meant for)), let me know. I'm quite swamped this week, but would be glad to help you get on a better track. (I'm currently doing the same for a Police Department, getting them converted over from manually editing pages to use a template system. They love how easy it is to help keep things uniform.

Hope this helps.

-Greg
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

From the perspective of a very frequent business traveler, and only my opinion: it's far too wordy and appears in places you're just rattling off "stuff". A little overly ambitious. But it has promise.
    Karl Jones

Have you taken a look at the simpler version of Dreamweaver- called Rapidweaver? It is what I used.....very easy to work with and inexpensive as well. I would like to see a photo of the vehicle and one of your drivers on the homepage- it would give it a personal touch I think. Especially for your retail crowd. Good luck, it is nice being able to tweak the site yourself!
    Lenora Bowman

Johnny B's Limousine Service
    Charlotte, NC
    We have the only Pink Escalade Limo in the Carolinas!
    www.limojohnny.com

Greg, I would be very happy to take you up on your offer at some point. Now that i've got the backbone of my website down, it is going to come down to tweaking it and making things look more professional. Thanks again for looking things over in detail as i've got most of the small details fixed. Making a webpage is just foreign to me, and I also didn't want to have others do it for me since I need to learn myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    From the perspective of a very frequent business traveler, and only my opinion: it's far too wordy and appears in places you're just rattling off "stuff". A little overly ambitious. But it has promise.
    Thanks for looking things over. I had a feeling that I was being too wordy as I have a tendency to be overly verbose when writing stuff down. Once I get things looking decent, I hope to refine my text. To be honest, I was never good at writing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by limojohnny View Post
    Have you taken a look at the simpler version of Dreamweaver- called Rapidweaver? It is what I used.....very easy to work with and inexpensive as well. I would like to see a photo of the vehicle and one of your drivers on the homepage- it would give it a personal touch I think. Especially for your retail crowd. Good luck, it is nice being able to tweak the site yourself!
    I've never heard of Rapidweaver, but i'll need to check it out. I basically bought my copy of Dreamweaver from my sister who gets a nice discount since she has gone back to school. I paid $150 for it which is 1/3 of what it typically costs.

More photos are coming at some point. I will initially be a one man operation, and i'm very hesitant to post a picture of me on the webpage. I just don't want to turn off anyone who may not like having an asian chauffeur since you guys have all heard the stereotypes about asian drivers. As an American-Korean myself, I will personally verify to you that those stereotypes are definately true for a very large percentage of asians from what i've seen around me. I think it has to due with the fact that driving is more of a recent cultural phenomena with asians unlike Americans who have had it being a part of their culture since the go go 50's.

I have also been hesitant to post exterior photos of the MKT as it comes across looking pretty goofy. It kind of looks like an oversized hearse from the side or a bloated PT Cruiser from the back. On the inside, it looks as good as any luxury car though as i've been very impressed at how much attention Ford paid to interior craftsmanship.

I am currently thinking about finding a way to bribe a friend of mine to pose in a photo for me. He is a consultant from Houston who is currently in Cincinnati on a company project. He looks very good in a suit.
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Well, I broke down today and hired someone to take my website and make it look much more professional and modern. That is probably what I should have done from the very beginning as I honestly had no idea that the cost of hiring someone to make you a website had dropped so much these days like the cost of web hosting has dropped.
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Blog Entries

Also a much shorter name is prefered. I can see the spelling error someone typing the name in.