Thread: SEO Scams, Anyone working with a TRUE expert

Default SEO Scams, Anyone working with a TRUE expert

I have been getting calls from SEO experts on a daily basis. I have had a website since over 3 years and have hired on 3 occasions with below average results.

Bottomline, if you have a champ SEO expert you work with in your market, I would really appreciate a reference so I can fix my problem.

Please do not contact me if you are referring yourself unless you have 3-4 limo/car services to show for. This goes to vendors.

Thanks,

I always find it funny with those phone guys that they are so good at search engine optimization yet they are relying on phone cold calling to get clients. Unless someone can prove they generated #1 results for multiple high volume terms in your market I wouldn't trust them. You might want to try firstclasslimos that posts on here, not sure if he is taking any clients though.

Blog Entries

We have never used a SEO or other site promotion service. We rank generally in the Number One or Two, non-fee based positions.

If you have a photo on your website, make sure the name of the photo is correct. As an example, if you have a photo of a “Sedan”, it should be “Sedan.Gif”, not 00512.Gif that would be assigned by your camera of other like source.

Make sure your Meta Tags are correct.

If you plan to be in business for at least a year, always register and prepay your Domain Name for Five years. The longer you have paid to register the domain, the better off you may be.

Also, make sure you have a page counter at the bottom of your home page. If you have a specific page you wish to keep track of, you can always hide a separate counter for your use.
    Last edited by Billy Bob; January 15th, 2012 at 06:46 PM.

Blog Entries

What does a page counter have to do with SEO? If you are trying to track visitors, I recommend Google Analytics. It will give you the best insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
    If you plan to be in business for at least a year, always register and prepay your Domain Name for Five years. The longer you have paid to register the domain, the better off you may be.
    Good point, I have a friend who does SEO who recomends 10 years: http://www.config.com/articles/seo-t...timization-seo

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
    Also, make sure you have a page counter at the bottom of your home page. If you have a specific page you wish to keep track of, you can always hide a separate counter for your use.
    Google Analytics is all the tracking you need, it does one heck of a job for free.

Also, it doesn't hurt to have a well done link in you signature of very index forums as long as they are good relative content postings (and the forum doesn't set the links to "no-follow" which tells most search engines to ignore following that link.)

In general, well done, relevant content, that is correctly placed on the site (semantic markup, ie, using page tags for the correct purpose) will take you a long way. As a hint to the semantic markup, a well, but brief description of the current page should be in your ONLY <h1> tag on your page, not used for your company name on every page. Also when you link to your other pages (from your site or from other sites), link text should again be brief but descriptive. (that combination can be such a pain! lol)

BAD: "You can find out about our party bus here."
    GOOD: "Read more about out Party Bus Services."

Ok, I am first to admit, I struggle with that like all get out, so the second could still be worded even better, but I think you get the idea of what I mean.

A tip. Check out your site in a SEO browser, what do you see? That is what search engines see too. (http://www.seo-browser.com/ is one I use, another is http://www.domaintools.com/seo-browser/ At the very least, browse to your site in Firefox, and do ALT-V (to bring up View menu), then Page Style -> No Style to remove styles to see what your "content" looks like.

Lastly, use a graphics program to resize your image. If you have a direct picture from your camera that is say 1500x800 pixels, and you tell the browser to show it at 150x80, the end user still needs to download the entire photo. Optimizing "looks" will help speed up the page. (and make a huge difference to those mobile browsing).

-Greg

PS. Actually, I think I just found your site, and overall it looks good, minus two big things that stood out to me. 1. On the contact us page, the "separator" bars look like very wide text input fields when you first see it, and very important, #2, on the sign up for an account page, you are asking for credit card information and it doesn't submit to a secure page. Security (and the minimizing your liability) is only as good as your weakest link when it comes to taking someones credit card info). Oh, I guess there was a third; I noticed that your blog hasn't been active since 2009 (noticed the same in your posts here ;-) so I would either kill or hide the link to the blog. I go to a site, I see a clear indication of 3 years of any activity, it makes me wonder what else is outdated. Still leave the blog up though for any links that point over to your site though.
    Last edited by Greg K; January 14th, 2012 at 08:36 PM.