Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webhosting, opinions on godaddy

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
    I am not sure you own this Domain Name???

Everything has a Florida address.
    I noticed that too and found that to be wierd, especially considering that register.com is based in Portugal. I don't know how register.com does stuff, but I did purchase it and am currently accessing my account as we speak. It is unbelievable how they keep trying to sell me stuff like their other services.
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Homer, Alaska bound! Precision Executive Transportation Services LLCwww.precisiontransportationservices.comEmail: junehhan(at)precisiontransportationservices(dot)co mFind us on Facebook right now!

I use godaddy for my webpage. I had never created a webpage before and I was able to do so myself with no problem. I think my work looks acceptable. No real problems as of yet. Fairly simple to use and fairly inexpensive compaired to other forms of advertising. I think it's good for starting out. Once you start making money then you can always upgrade to a professionally created website.
    Andrew Armitage
    Vintage Chauffeuring LLC
    Andrew@VintageChauffeuring.com
    www.VintageChauffeuring.com

Quote Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
    Of course I still havn't started yet since I still havn't been given operating authority with the FMCSA yet after all this time.
    I believe your operating authority has not been granted because you didn't have insurance on file. I don't think they even start considering your app until you meet all requirements.
    Andy
    937-620-9120
    937-524-5899 (office)
    Dunlap Limousine, LLC
    http://www.dunlaplimo.com

I currently use GoDaddy.
    Andy
    937-620-9120
    937-524-5899 (office)
    Dunlap Limousine, LLC
    http://www.dunlaplimo.com

In regards to location, you need to look past the physical location of the company these days. While GoDaddy may be headquarters in California, that doesn't mean that is were the sites are feeding from.

I have one client that is still on GoDaddy's hosting. Not sure if all of their hosting is set up as cloud, but at least his account is. Technically, his site is in MULTIPLE datacenters. When you browse to his site, behind the scenes you will get routed to (what is supposed to be) the closest (and I think fastest reached) server. It is quite amazing really if you think about it. That is one of the benefits of cloud hosting.

Dreamweaver is a good and powerful program for sites, the main trick with it is getting used to it and getting set up correctly from the get go. If you get a template set up correctly, it can really make maintaining your site a breeze, while keeping the whole site uniform across all of your pages.

If you have the choice between DW and Front Page, definitely go with Dreamweaver.

Also in reference to the mention of checking speed, here is a good site for checking things: http://www.domaintools.com/research/dns/ (the tools are on the top right column) This site is also great for finding domain registration information. Shortcut is (from their old domain) http://whois.sc/anydomain.com If you want to check the site you are looking at, just go to address bar and add whois.sc/ in front of the full URL you already have, the site is set to take it all and get the domain name. Nice (and you can use the "Server Stats" tab across the top to see where the domain is feeding the site from)

I also agree, if you do not know for sure they register the domain properly, do not register it with the same company hosting it. (at minimum have your real (and CURRENT) information as the registrant). While there are legal routes you could take to get control of the domain again, they are not easy, cheap nor fast otherwise. Also, I would recommend using Domain Privacy, and with that, and do NOT use an e-mail that is part of the same domain. (ie, use a gmail/yahoo/etc e-mail that you keep good control of it's password). Say the hosting company goes down (or you get in a dispute and they kill your service), depending on setup, there goes e-mail address for the domain too.

You mentioned the domain precisiontransportationservices.com and that it looked like they registered it in their name. (and then there was the comment that it is registered to a Florida address). This is because you have domain privacy turned on, which keeps the public from seeing your true registration. This is a GOOD thing, as it will greatly cut down on not only junk e-mail but as well as regular mail. It is sad but there are companies out there that will mail you papers to look like they are for renewing your domain, when in reality it is to get you to switch registration over to their company. It is usually in fine print, and they are purposely designed to trick you. This used to be way worse back before there was domain locks in place. (most registrars by default turn on the lock, so you have to get a code from "current" registrar to transfer it out.) But it sill has the issue that you may think you renewed the domain, and in the confusion it expires. The limo company I used to do work for, they got a similar notice in the mail, and LUCKILY I stopped by their office the day the opened it, as they were about to mail off a check! (I see First Class has since bought the domain, yeah, that was me who came up with limofirstchoice.com back in 2000)

Speaking of expiring. There are services out that that all they do is watch for expiring domains and the second they are available they register them. They make their money off of the companies that didn't mean to let it expire, and would rather pay up to $200 to get it back immediately than hire a lawyer to sue for it back via trademark rights if they apply. Think about all your services that you sign up for, if they are at e-mails at the domain that expired, what happens when someone else now gets all those emails, and they can now do "send me a password reminder to my e-mail".... (Happened to my cousin, was a pain for him) Even worse is if your competition snatches it up! There are also other recessives that you can pay $70+ to do nothing but attempt to grab the domain when it expires. I have used one of these for a case where a client switched developers, and well the old developer didn't want to let him have access to his domain. It was expiring a month later anyhow so I used this to get it as soon as it it expired. Client bought a new domain for a new site, however this kept their rankings up for the old domain, and once we had control and redirected to the new site, the new site got juice from old rankings on top of all old listings for their old domain again work.

Register.com (and godaddy) is BIG on pushing their other services onto you. Log into you account with godaddy.com and the "my account" link is one of the LEAST noticeable things when you are logged in. Even worse is when they move its location! If you do go with register.com, here is a trick that used to work. Get all the way to checkout for a new domain, and then browse away from it (ie. type in cnn.com in the address bar). Until recently, it would see you are trying to leave the checkout page, and popup a "wait, don't leave, here is a coupon code to get it for less" Myself, I prefer pairNIC, they are owned by a company out of Pittsburgh (the ones I used to have hosting through) and things like "Domain Privacy" are free (some places charge more), and I do like that I can selective set what is private. (ie. I leave my company name visible, but all other contact is hidden, example: http://whois.domaintools.com/kirsch.net

As mentioned above, where a company has its headquarters can be different from where the service is provided from. Example, I'm currently using 1&1 for my server. So if you were a hosting client, you are paying a company (and getting technical service/consulting) from a company in Columbus Ohio (me), the sites are hosted on a physical server that I rent from 1and1 that is located in Kansas City. While I maintain all settings on the server itself (including OS configuration and all software installed), 1&1 maintains the network getting to my server. On top of all of that , 1&1 is headquartered in US out of philly and internationally out of Germany.

(Granted, may be switching to SingleHop out of Chicago in June when my contract is up. I have friends who run a fast growing hosting company out of Akron area, that use several hundred dedicated servers from SingleHop, and they are happy with them.)

-Greg
    Last edited by Greg K; January 18th, 2012 at 06:54 PM.

Blog Entries

A post in this thread also reminded me to seek out a dedicated and not a shared IP from your web host, which I forgot to mention. It shouldn't cost too much.

In regards to using a cloud host service ie. cloudflare, etc, I think it is very unnecessary for most limo companies. If your limo business was worldwide and you needed to have more centralized hosts in different parts of the world, it would make sense. It probably doesn't in this case. Keep your web host close by. Mimimize the hops and have a slight SEO advantage because of it.

I believe Matt Cutts has also documented on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Party Bus Andy View Post
    I believe your operating authority has not been granted because you didn't have insurance on file. I don't think they even start considering your app until you meet all requirements.
    According to the DOT Vetting agent assigned to my application, he said that it is because the vetting process still hasn't been completed yet. He even told me not to purchase my insurance until the vetting process is completed. I went ahead and purchased insurance anyway because I have deadlines to meet in terms of obtaining my city of Cincinnati authority, CVG airport authority, and so on. With the city, you have to start the process all over again if you don't provide proof of insurance within 30 days of the approval of your application. Obtaining a public vehicle license isn't exactly very easy, so I did not want to risk starting the city process over again and risk the remote possibility of being denied.

What is frustrating is that the vetting process still hasn't been completed yet

Quote Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
    In regards to location, you need to look past the physical location of the company these days. While GoDaddy may be headquarters in California, that doesn't mean that is were the sites are feeding from.

I have one client that is still on GoDaddy's hosting. Not sure if all of their hosting is set up as cloud, but at least his account is. Technically, his site is in MULTIPLE datacenters. When you browse to his site, behind the scenes you will get routed to (what is supposed to be) the closest (and I think fastest reached) server. It is quite amazing really if you think about it. That is one of the benefits of cloud hosting.

Dreamweaver is a good and powerful program for sites, the main trick with it is getting used to it and getting set up correctly from the get go. If you get a template set up correctly, it can really make maintaining your site a breeze, while keeping the whole site uniform across all of your pages.

If you have the choice between DW and Front Page, definitely go with Dreamweaver.

Also in reference to the mention of checking speed, here is a good site for checking things: http://www.domaintools.com/research/dns/ (the tools are on the top right column) This site is also great for finding domain registration information. Shortcut is (from their old domain) http://whois.sc/anydomain.com If you want to check the site you are looking at, just go to address bar and add whois.sc/ in front of the full URL you already have, the site is set to take it all and get the domain name. Nice (and you can use the "Server Stats" tab across the top to see where the domain is feeding the site from)

I also agree, if you do not know for sure they register the domain properly, do not register it with the same company hosting it. (at minimum have your real (and CURRENT) information as the registrant). While there are legal routes you could take to get control of the domain again, they are not easy, cheap nor fast otherwise. Also, I would recommend using Domain Privacy, and with that, and do NOT use an e-mail that is part of the same domain. (ie, use a gmail/yahoo/etc e-mail that you keep good control of it's password). Say the hosting company goes down (or you get in a dispute and they kill your service), depending on setup, there goes e-mail address for the domain too.

You mentioned the domain precisiontransportationservices.com and that it looked like they registered it in their name. (and then there was the comment that it is registered to a Florida address). This is because you have domain privacy turned on, which keeps the public from seeing your true registration. This is a GOOD thing, as it will greatly cut down on not only junk e-mail but as well as regular mail. It is sad but there are companies out there that will mail you papers to look like they are for renewing your domain, when in reality it is to get you to switch registration over to their company. It is usually in fine print, and they are purposely designed to trick you. This used to be way worse back before there was domain locks in place. (most registrars by default turn on the lock, so you have to get a code from "current" registrar to transfer it out.) But it sill has the issue that you may think you renewed the domain, and in the confusion it expires. The limo company I used to do work for, they got a similar notice in the mail, and LUCKILY I stopped by their office the day the opened it, as they were about to mail off a check! (I see First Class has since bought the domain, yeah, that was me who came up with limofirstchoice.com back in 2000)

Speaking of expiring. There are services out that that all they do is watch for expiring domains and the second they are available they register them. They make their money off of the companies that didn't mean to let it expire, and would rather pay up to $200 to get it back immediately than hire a lawyer to sue for it back via trademark rights if they apply. Think about all your services that you sign up for, if they are at e-mails at the domain that expired, what happens when someone else now gets all those emails, and they can now do "send me a password reminder to my e-mail".... (Happened to my cousin, was a pain for him) Even worse is if your competition snatches it up! There are also other recessives that you can pay $70+ to do nothing but attempt to grab the domain when it expires. I have used one of these for a case where a client switched developers, and well the old developer didn't want to let him have access to his domain. It was expiring a month later anyhow so I used this to get it as soon as it it expired. Client bought a new domain for a new site, however this kept their rankings up for the old domain, and once we had control and redirected to the new site, the new site got juice from old rankings on top of all old listings for their old domain again work.

Register.com (and godaddy) is BIG on pushing their other services onto you. Log into you account with godaddy.com and the "my account" link is one of the LEAST noticeable things when you are logged in. Even worse is when they move its location! If you do go with register.com, here is a trick that used to work. Get all the way to checkout for a new domain, and then browse away from it (ie. type in cnn.com in the address bar). Until recently, it would see you are trying to leave the checkout page, and popup a "wait, don't leave, here is a coupon code to get it for less" Myself, I prefer pairNIC, they are owned by a company out of Pittsburgh (the ones I used to have hosting through) and things like "Domain Privacy" are free (some places charge more), and I do like that I can selective set what is private. (ie. I leave my company name visible, but all other contact is hidden, example: http://whois.domaintools.com/kirsch.net

As mentioned above, where a company has its headquarters can be different from where the service is provided from. Example, I'm currently using 1&1 for my server. So if you were a hosting client, you are paying a company (and getting technical service/consulting) from a company in Columbus Ohio (me), the sites are hosted on a physical server that I rent from 1and1 that is located outside of Philly PA. While I maintain all settings on the server itself (including OS configuration and all software installed), 1&1 maintains the network getting to my server. On top of all of that , 1&1 is headquartered out of Germany.

(Granted, may be switching to SingleHop out of Chicago in June when my contract is up. I have friends who run a fast growing hosting company out of Akron area, that use several hundred dedicated servers from SingleHop, and they are happy with them.)

-Greg
    Thank you so much for the words of warning. I didn't realize that I had privacy turned on for my domain name, and I am glad that is a good thing since I am already getting massive spam, telemarketers, and junk mail. I knew the internet was filled with trolls, but somehow I didn't realize how bad it was with people trying to troll and snap up someone else's domain name. I had something very similar happen to a domain name that I used to own a few years ago. I accidently let it expire and some firm snapped it up immediately. It is still for sale on the internet, and I hope that person never finds a buyer for it.
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Homer, Alaska bound! Precision Executive Transportation Services LLCwww.precisiontransportationservices.comEmail: junehhan(at)precisiontransportationservices(dot)co mFind us on Facebook right now!

June,

I have used godaddy for almost all of my websites (about 11 of them). I really like go daddy and use their email services as well. Its a great price and I have not experienced any outages. As far as their sitebuilder stay away from it. I find homestead to be feature rich and you can change the nameservers to have your godaddy site used there. Its low cost and very effective.

Just my suggestion.
    Nick Groat
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Nick@BellaVitaLimos.com
    Bella Vita Limousines

Quote Originally Posted by cvclubs View Post
    June,

I have used godaddy for almost all of my websites (about 11 of them). I really like go daddy and use their email services as well. Its a great price and I have not experienced any outages. As far as their sitebuilder stay away from it. I find homestead to be feature rich and you can change the nameservers to have your godaddy site used there. Its low cost and very effective.

Just my suggestion.
    Thanks for letting me know about your experiences with godaddy. At this point, I am pretty much set on going with them for the time being as I really like their prices. The fact that noone has chimed in with horror stories about them is definately a good thing. BTW, how is your bikini carwash coming along? If I am ever out in the Vegas area, I will definately have to stop by and have a few hotties give my car a good frollicking.
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
    Just a quick reply from my iPhone. Never use a web hosting company in you area. As an example, if you live in California, and you fall into the ocean, you web server will still be operating in New Jersey. When we had Tornados in Alabama, we were still up and running. Although it was difficult using an iPhone, we did not skip a beat.
    Interesting position. If I was in California and my company fell into the ocean, my web site would not be a high priority. I am from the midwest. My thought would have been, if I use a server in California and they fall in the ocean, I would be without a "web site". Or if my server was in Alabama being destroyed by tornados, I would be without a server.

But for a server, I use www.justhost.com. Looks like their current promo is $3.50 per month. I designed my own web site so I can't comment about their builder. But they do offer unlimited email accounts, unlimited other stuff. Worth investigating.
    Who dares wins.

Blog Entries

I use GoDaddy for all of my domains (over 500) and host some there. Never had any problems. I also host on Hostgator.com (great & very easy to use) and couple others depending on where my sites are targeting (for example I use a Canadian hosting company for a site targeted to Canadians).

Jim

I am currently getting setup on godaddy and it has been a fairly pleasant experience so far. My only complaint is that their uploader and host management tool site is very laggy as it takes forever to get a response after you click an action. You guys can check my site out and tell me what you think so far.

http://www.precisiontransportationservices.com

Most of the site links arn't working yet, but I intend to have most of the site working by tonight hopefully.
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

I have been using GoDaddy for many, many years. My website was built by Mayday Marketing but is hosted by Godaddy.com as is our email system.
    Jim A. Luff
    Forum Moderator
    Contributing Editor & Consultant - LCT Magazine

Limousine Scene - An Award Winning Company Since 1990
    Bakersfield, CA
    Limousines, Sedans, Vans, Charter Buses, Limo-Buses, Wheelchair Vans www.limousinescene.com

Blog Entries

Thunderstorms in ICloud

Apple has requested we upgrade this past week to 5.0+.
    If you are using an IPhone, donít do it until the bugs are fixed.

The camera function is slow and does not function correctly. IPhone will just stop working, and as for the GPS, how embarrassing to insert the address and it takes you to the wrong address. Luckily we were only four miles away.

The IPad updated correctly.

There are Thunderstorms in the ICloud. The update with the calendar is lost in the cloud somewhere.

Apple has a new instant messaging for the IPad. This works through the ICloud and bypasses the normal channel. The background changes from Green to Blue when using the Cloud.

The last scheduled pickup of our group got lost using the cloud.

I just wanted to give everyone a word of caution.