Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webhosting, opinions on godaddy

Default Webhosting, opinions on godaddy

Hey everyone. I am getting ready to start putting up my website and I was planning on going with godaddy since they appear to offer an insane value compared to many other web hosting companies i've looked at. Has anyone here used them before and had bad experiences? If so, please let me know as I have used VERY bad web hosts before which have turned into a nightmare. They garentee 99.9% uptime, but that is just a number and doesn't mean much since that other 0.1% where it is down could cost you a lot of business.

Out of curiosity, what are you guys using these days for your webhosting duties? I've been through some of the older threads, but what about these days?
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Homer, Alaska bound! Precision Executive Transportation Services LLCwww.precisiontransportationservices.comEmail: junehhan(at)precisiontransportationservices(dot)co mFind us on Facebook right now!

Tried GoDaddy long ago... enough about them.
    Been with Lunarpages for almost ten years now with nothing but smooth sailing and happy days. Their customer service and support people are Aces in my book.
    Karl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
    They garentee 99.9% uptime, but that is just a number and doesn't mean much since that other 0.1% where it is down could cost you a lot of business.
    While 99.9 seems great, used to be back in the day you looked for "5" 9's for great service (99.999). When you calculate it out, 99.9% uptime means you can be down for 8.76 hours in a year. (granted most good hosting places don't get close to that)

The only experience I have had with GoDaddy hosting was to get the sites moved off of their servers for clients. Never had any complain much of them, I just run my own hosting service.

Prior to having my own server to provide hosting for myself and my clients, I had used Pair Networks (pair.com) out of Pittsburgh since 1997 up until last spring when I started my own company. (I still also maintain a dedicated server through them for a client). There are cheaper places out there, but as you guys know, when you provide great service, you are worth the higher prices. I have also used 1and1.com for sites and, well, as long as you don't need to talk to them, general service as far as site being up pretty decent. Having to talk to them, well that is another story. My server that I run now is one of their dedicated servers. The nice part is generally I don't have to deal with them. *I* am the tech support for my server and my hosting clients. (but an example, their control panel for accounts (mine, not my customers) was glitching the other day down for 30 minutes, customer service when i called about it was far from nice, not even an apology for not being able to get in.)

While I probably wouldn't recommend it for a business site, I also use 3ix.com for sites. (it is a sub company of a larger hosting company, and they sell off "excess" resources quite cheaply ($12/yr)). I have run hobby and church sites from them before, never a problem, but again, for a business, you want a business class.

Another thing to consider is what will you be using to build your site. If you are coding it yourself, you pretty much have your options open to just about anywhere. cPanel is a popular control panel, that while easy to use, gives you tons of control. (note, 1&1 for shared hosting and pair each use their own custom built control panel, both pretty easy.) Some hosts running cPanel also pay for feature to have "one click" install of things like WordPress, and/or built in web site editors. Myself, I just have basic cPanel, that alone runs me $35/month (yes just for a license to use cPanel, I pay $200/month for my server). My clients so far have been word of mouth, and the type where I get them up and running and then let them use more as they learn more.

If you ever need help getting set up, let me know, you hit the topic I know well and can offer lots of advice. I love teaching those who want to learn. Ever want to start learning PHP, let me know too ;-)

Ok, rambling mode off, I need to get back to project I've been up 2 days straight working on ;-)

-Greg

Senior Member Elegant Limousines of Palm Coast's Avatar
    Palm Coast, Fl & Service Daytona, Ormond, Jacksonville, Orlando , St Augustine
    Blog Entries

We use Homestead which is owned by Intuit. They have great customer support, excellent hosting and a user friendly site builder. As far as Go daddy, they are good for purchasing domain names but stay away from there site builder. It Sucks !!! Hard to navigate things on the screen, I have had trouble with it.

I use One Web Hosting at http://www.onewebhosting.com/. Good customer service and features, their prices start around $9.95 per month.
    Elegant Knights Limo-Party Bus
    http://getonthebusandpartywithus.com/

I have had decent luck with Yahoo computer dummy Friendly build your own webhosting.
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Thanks for the offer as I will probably need to take you up on that at some point. My goal right now is to just get something simple up and running, while refining it a little bit more everyday. I have absolutely no knowledge about this type of stuff. I don't even know what PHP is. I've read about it in my Bing searches, but reading it and knowing is very different. At this time, i'm basically using the standard WYSIWYG capabilities built into the latest version of Macromedia Dreamweaver 5.5. I have realized that even this is overkill for my needs as the WYSIWYG capabilities are pretty complex, but at least I got a good discount on it since I bought it from my sister who is back in college(academic discount). She had no use for it, so I offered to take it off her hands for a bargain.

Unless someone tells me some horrible experiences they have had with godaddy, I may go ahead and use their service for now with the anticipation of migrating to something else later. As for reservation stuff, I have pretty much decided to go with thebooktool since it appears to be most cost efficient for startups like me who will be doing very small business volumes initially. At this stage, I simply cannot afford to pay $1000-1500 + big monthly fees like some of the other bigger ones charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
    While 99.9 seems great, used to be back in the day you looked for "5" 9's for great service (99.999). When you calculate it out, 99.9% uptime means you can be down for 8.76 hours in a year. (granted most good hosting places don't get close to that)

The only experience I have had with GoDaddy hosting was to get the sites moved off of their servers for clients. Never had any complain much of them, I just run my own hosting service.

Prior to having my own server to provide hosting for myself and my clients, I had used Pair Networks (pair.com) out of Pittsburgh since 1997 up until last spring when I started my own company. (I still also maintain a dedicated server through them for a client). There are cheaper places out there, but as you guys know, when you provide great service, you are worth the higher prices. I have also used 1and1.com for sites and, well, as long as you don't need to talk to them, general service as far as site being up pretty decent. Having to talk to them, well that is another story. My server that I run now is one of their dedicated servers. The nice part is generally I don't have to deal with them. *I* am the tech support for my server and my hosting clients. (but an example, their control panel for accounts (mine, not my customers) was glitching the other day down for 30 minutes, customer service when i called about it was far from nice, not even an apology for not being able to get in.)

While I probably wouldn't recommend it for a business site, I also use 3ix.com for sites. (it is a sub company of a larger hosting company, and they sell off "excess" resources quite cheaply ($12/yr)). I have run hobby and church sites from them before, never a problem, but again, for a business, you want a business class.

Another thing to consider is what will you be using to build your site. If you are coding it yourself, you pretty much have your options open to just about anywhere. cPanel is a popular control panel, that while easy to use, gives you tons of control. (note, 1&1 for shared hosting and pair each use their own custom built control panel, both pretty easy.) Some hosts running cPanel also pay for feature to have "one click" install of things like WordPress, and/or built in web site editors. Myself, I just have basic cPanel, that alone runs me $35/month (yes just for a license to use cPanel, I pay $200/month for my server). My clients so far have been word of mouth, and the type where I get them up and running and then let them use more as they learn more.

If you ever need help getting set up, let me know, you hit the topic I know well and can offer lots of advice. I love teaching those who want to learn. Ever want to start learning PHP, let me know too ;-)

Ok, rambling mode off, I need to get back to project I've been up 2 days straight working on ;-)

-Greg
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Homer, Alaska bound! Precision Executive Transportation Services LLCwww.precisiontransportationservices.comEmail: junehhan(at)precisiontransportationservices(dot)co mFind us on Facebook right now!

Blog Entries

Just a quick reply from my iPhone. Never use a web hosting company in you area. As an example, if you live in California, and you fall into the ocean, you web server will still be operating in New Jersey. When we had Tornados in Alabama, we were still up and running. Although it was difficult using an iPhone, we did not skip a beat.
    Last edited by Billy Bob; January 12th, 2012 at 09:59 PM.

I hope you aren't planning on using precisiontransportationservices.com . I think
    it was reserved by another company a few months ago! Hopefully you scooped it up!

I've used GoDaddy a number of times for both registering domains and hosting without any problems. If you aren't very experienced in hosting/domains they offer great basic technical
    support.

Good luck.

Brad

Banned

I currently us godaddy.com for hosting and email. I have no complaints.

Blog Entries

Website speed plays a role in SEO and also user interaction/usability. I recommend just using www.godaddy.com or www.namecheap.com to park the domain and finding the closest (proximity to your service area), most reputable/reliable web hosting provider you can. Having a website is a nice thing to have but if you plan on targeting people through the internet, it's really only effective when it can be found. SEO and internet marketing will become necessary to achieve that. Speed (even if you can cut load time by a matter of a second) and reliability/uptime will give your website advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by metropro View Post
    Website speed plays a role in SEO and also user interaction/usability. I recommend just using www.godaddy.com or www.namecheap.com to park the domain and finding the closest (proximity to your service area), most reputable/reliable web hosting provider you can. Having a website is a nice thing to have but if you plan on targeting people through the internet, it's really only effective when it can be found. SEO and internet marketing will become necessary to achieve that. Speed (even if you can cut load time by a matter of a second) and reliability/uptime will give your website advantages.
    I didn't realize that low latency can play a role in SEO as well. I always knew that people(including myself) tend to be pretty impatient when waiting on websites to load. If that is the case, I may try to find something closer since I think godaddy is way out in California.

Quote Originally Posted by BradfordCoach View Post
    I hope you aren't planning on using precisiontransportationservices.com . I think
    it was reserved by another company a few months ago! Hopefully you scooped it up!

I've used GoDaddy a number of times for both registering domains and hosting without any problems. If you aren't very experienced in hosting/domains they offer great basic technical
    support.

Good luck.

Brad
    Yeah, that was me that snapped it up. I basically went and bought that domain name using register.com a very short while before I applied for interstate operating authority with the FMCSA. I still don't have interstate authority yet

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
    Just a quick reply from my iPhone. Never use a web hosting company in you area. As an example, if you live in California, and you fall into the ocean, you web server will still be operating in New Jersey. When we had Tornados in Alabama, we were still up and running. Although it was difficult using an iPhone, we dis not skip a beat.
    That is also something that I didn't think about at all. It definately makes sense!
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Blog Entries

My background is from this industry. First, pick a name that is easy for the client to find and remember. We had a general idea of our direction in 2000. We did not want to have the work “Limousine” in our company name. Our primary direction was Corporate America, hence, Executive Shuttle Network.

We selected “eShuttle.Net”, Dot Com was not available. Whatever name you select, it must be a Dot. Com. We still have people sending email to Info@eShuttle.Com. Never use “Yourname @ gmail.com”. This is fine for personal use; however, your professional appearance to the outside world is critical.

If you are looking for a hosting company, your site will reside with other domains on their server. If you are on the wrong server, you email will take up to an hour for you to receive it. If you are receiving email from a broadcast server, as an example, Limos.Com, you need your email leads before everyone else. In this case, the Rabbit will win in most cases.

Originally, the Internet was designed for Military use. In the event of a failure in one area, the service is re-routed through another route. This is where you need to verify the hop connection. This is where the client (you), is connecting to the Host.

The less you hop, the faster your response. It’s late and I do not remember how to Ping the Server off the top of my head. Where is your customer? A majority of our clients in Alabama are from up north. New Your, New Jersey, and Boston. We host on XO.Com and have been pleased with their service. We want them to have the fastest loading web pages because they are always in a hurry. Here, down in the South, we can wait an extra millisecond or two.

If you are building you site for the first time, you must register your Domain Name. I would not recommend you to allow the Hosting Company to register you name. I have had an experience where the local hosting company registered my domain in their name. This is not a common occurrence anymore, but it still can happen.

Microsoft Front Page is easer than the new Microsoft Web Publishing Program. My new version is back in the box.
    I hope this has been beneficial.

Bill

Trace Route Command [tracert 196.125.25.0] The 196. number is the address you wish to trace. This can be run from your “Start Search Bar” in Windows.

WWW.Toast.Net is a free website to test connection speeds.

www.xo.com
    Last edited by Billy Bob; January 12th, 2012 at 11:33 PM.

Thanks for all of the advice as I am always appreciative of what you veterans of the industry have to say. My company name is Precision Executive Transportation Services LLC. While this is a mouthful, I chose this based on what i've been hearing about the limo industry here in my region. I think a company that uses the word precision might appeal to those who feel like they have been burned by poor service. As my nature, I am very precise and dedicated and keep time well.

I registered my domain name which is www.precisiontransportationservices.com using register.com. I just did a whois.net lookup and it appears as though that they registered it in their name.

http://www.whois.net/whois/precision...onservices.com

When I registered my domain name, I also purchased email service from register.com. I believe I get upto 5 email addresses and my primary one is junehhan(at)precisiontransportationservice s(dot)com. For the time being, I have it set to foward everything to my regular email which is junehhan(-at-)hotmai l(dot)com. I have tested this email address out and I get my emails literally seconds after I send them. I also had no idea limos.com works that way, as i'm debating on whether I will sign up with them or not.

I am based out of Madeira, OH which is just north of Cincinnati. I imagine most of my customers will probably come from this area since I am a startup with a one vehicle operation. Of course I still havn't started yet since I still havn't been given operating authority with the FMCSA yet after all this time.

At least for the time being, I will be hosting with godaddy and will probably just use your standard uploader to upload my webpage to their server.
    Mobile Personal Banker
    Wells Fargo

Blog Entries

I am not sure you own this Domain Name???

Everything has a Florida address.