Thread: Regulations and insurance on a Personal use limo bus? not for profit

Default Regulations and insurance on a Personal use limo bus? not for profit

I currently rent out a party bus multiple times every month and pay a lot for them in the Boston area. I was looking to buy my own bus for personal use only and either drive it myself(when im not drinking) or have a friend drive it so I wont be paying for a driver. What types of registration and insurance would I need on a 14 person or smaller limo bus and how much would insurance cost me in boston? Can I register it as a normal vehicle because I am only using it for personal use and not for profit? Or am I still going to be paying for limo plates and insurance and paying close to $10k insurance a month?

Call your insurance agent. Seems to me you should be able to insure and register a vehicle like that like an RV, as long as your not charging a fare.

If you take no money for its use its nothing other than a regular vehicle.When you say it seats 14 people does that include the driver and front passenger seat.If its seats 16 people or more including the driver you would still need a class C cdl to drive it

You are likely going to have to label your vehicle with "NOT FOR HIRE" with decals on both sides.

Depending on how often you go out, it still may be cheaper and less of a hassle just to continue hiring a properly licensed and insured company.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

Buy an RV and PARTY!!!
    Airport Limo Service Spring Hill, Brooksville, Citrus County FL
    http://gunnysairportlimo.com/tampa_a...ce_spring_hill

Quote Originally Posted by gunny View Post
    Buy an RV and PARTY!!!
    Not a bad idea - would probably be more fun for a group too.

Fun for the group (freeloaders), yes. Fun for the owner who pays for all the repairs, fuel, insurance, etc... No! Good luck though, I do hope you have people that respect you.
    Andy
    937-620-9120
    937-524-5899 (office)
    Dunlap Limousine, LLC
    http://www.dunlaplimo.com

Ill have to check out some RVs. Man, it is hard to find a nice limo bus that seats under 14 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Party Bus Andy View Post
    Fun for the group (freeloaders), yes. Fun for the owner who pays for all the repairs, fuel, insurance, etc... No! Good luck though, I do hope you have people that respect you.
    While in theory, I can see those downsides, if he has the money, this isn't a bad option. His friends would probably be a little more conscientious about how they treat the vehicle, knowing it belongs to a friend. Repairs probably wouldn't be bad seeing as how the chassis is intended for heavier duty use, which this vehicle probably won't see, since it sounds like it'll only be used a couple of times a month. Fuel might be a bigger expense, but when you're only using the vehicle a few times a month, this shouldn't be too bad. I think personal car insurance will cover a vehicle like this, as they probably cover r/v's that are larger than the bus that he's looking for. I think it could easily be done.

Speaking from personal experience friends and family will not treat it well because there is no fear of a credit card getting charged and all they have to do is apologize afterward.

Your right, it will probably not see any more abuse but he will be buying a vehicle that has already received the abuse. I again am speaking from experience. Then everyone wants to borrow it, or invite you to go somewhere with them provided you bring your bus.
    Andy
    937-620-9120
    937-524-5899 (office)
    Dunlap Limousine, LLC
    http://www.dunlaplimo.com