Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS Fleet Tracking 2.0

Hybrid View

Default GPS Fleet Tracking 2.0

Hey guys,
    Full disclosure first: I have worked in the limo industry and have some experience as to what it is like to run a limo company. Currently I am not in the Industry per se but I want to be involved by solving a problem that I know still exists but can be solved inexpensively with today's technology. This is a little bit of a self promotion, but not a blatant advertisement as I need this community's help.

I have the skills to develop a web 2.0 style (think google maps, or any other google service) fleet tracking solution. I put a significant amount of time into researching the hardware side. I have formed a beta service with the following specs:
    * Live GPS tracking with upto 4 months history
    * NO contract or initial investment. Pay as you go service. You pay a refundable deposit for the device, and when you are done you can return it and get your deposit back.
    * A monthly cost of about $20/month per device.

Thats it. No extra bells and whistles for absurd prices but I need to know the following from you guys:
    * would you be interested in something like this?
    * what other extra features would you love to have? Would you pay extra for it?
    * what's the main barrier to you choosing us to track your fleet?

I have not built anything yet, but if there is a positive response I will get on it and ask for some beta users to test it with me.

thanks so much for the help guys. If everything works out I will be sure to hand out a promotional code for this community
    Last edited by Intev; December 26th, 2011 at 08:40 AM.

Already have Virtual Fleet Supervisor and am SOOO happy with it!!!

Kathy
    City Heat Limousine

Quote Originally Posted by City Heat View Post
    Already have Virtual Fleet Supervisor and am SOOO happy with it!!!

Kathy
    City Heat Limousine
    What she said
    Jerry Thomas

VFS seems great. What about them works for you? Do you have any minor annoyances with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Intev View Post
    VFS seems great What about them works for you? Do you have any minor annoyances with them?
    Devices are easy to transfer from vehicle to vehicle. Easy to access information via internet. Drew is awesome for customer service and helpful when I first started with them, he was patient with my "no knowledge" questions. Price is affordable. I have no annoyances with them!!

Kathy
    City Heat Limousine

the only difference between what you suggested and VFS is they charge $100 for their units and you wanted a deposit. I don't see $100 to be any problem though. The only thing they could use is a smart phone app for tracking, but either way I'm sure there's nothing you can do to get me to switch.

I have no problem tracking vehicles on my smartphone and I am a VFS client.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    Serving Kansas City, Lawrence, Topeka
    http://www.BoulevardLimoKC.com - Kansas City Limos
    KC Airport Car Service

My deposit would also be around $100. One more feature I could offer is SMS alerts based on certain conditions. I can also do a call in tracking- that is, you call a number, enter your number and vehicle code and then the vehicles current location would be told. This could be useful when you don't have access to the Internet and works on any phone.
    The SMS alerts can be used when you want to be notified if the vehicle has reached a certain destination.

My deposit would also be around $100. One more feature I could offer is SMS alerts based on certain conditions. I can also do a call in tracking- that is, you call a number, enter your number and vehicle code and then the vehicles current location would be told. This could be useful when you don't have access to the Internet and works on any phone.The SMS alerts can be used when you want to be notified if the vehicle has reached a certain destination.
    That is already done with geofencing on VFS. You also get text alerts for idling, speeding, start-up of the vehicle, etc. also will track maintenance if you want it to.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    What he said
    Jerry Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by BLVD Limo View Post
    I'm able to do it but it takes extra time. Like most other things it would be much faster and efficient with an app designed for your particular smart phone.

So there are no features you all would like to have that VFS doesn't have?

Maybe go check out the VFS system and see if there is a feature that you can think of that would be nice to have that they don't offer, because honestly, I cannot think of one myself.
    Tim Wiegman, Jr.
    Boulevard Limousine
    Travel Confidently!
    KC Airport Car Service

You tell us. There are several varieties of mousetrap out there... your mission, should you choose to accept it... is to build a better mousetrap. Then you have to sell it.
    Karl Jones

I agree with Karl, if you were serious about this you would have a GPS from every company out there installed on your car so you can get the feel for it and see what they are lacking. You're basically reinventing the wheel so your marketing will be very hard. One thing that sets companies like this apart is that when their users submit feedback to them they actually implement it if its a good idea.